Economy Men only make up 40% of college students. Where is the outcry?

Yeah, I'm not buying that it's hard work anyway, I'm single and have a daughter and on the days I have her and am at work I have to do all the homemaker stuff and work full time.

It'd be awesome. Get the kids to school, go to the gym for a bit, meet your mates for lunch, go do BJJ for a bit, clean around the house a little bit, play video games for a bit, pick up the kids from school, cook dinner, do something as a family, fuck the wife, go to sleep.

What a life.

I've lived it briefly. It's not all it's cracked up to be, unless you have no sense of pride/dignity.
Generally, you'll get to a point where you just don't really like yourself much. It's alright if you're on the outs and you're just using your time to build yourself back up... but otherwise, no.

I've lived it briefly. It's not all it's cracked up to be, unless you have no sense of pride/dignity.
Generally, you'll get to a point where you just don't really like yourself much. It's alright if you're on the outs and you're just using your time to build yourself back up... but otherwise, no.

I don't know if I'd enjoy it or not. I'm definitely not somebody who would care if my partner was earning more money than me which seems to bother some people though.

I don't know if I'd enjoy it or not. I'm definitely not somebody who would care if my partner was earning more money than me which seems to bother some people though.

Yeah, that doesn't bother me either. Many of the lovers/partners I've had had out-earned me. I don't care, as long as I can carry my own weight and she doesn't have unreasonable expectations.

Break it down by degrees they get and find how many get useless degrees. Then break down the trades and you will have your answer.

Yep this, there's a lot of enrolment for gender studies and other bullshit I think, and they'd be dominated by women (and guys being very fucking devious in trying to get laid)

It’s also much harder to get into a college as a white male. Poor white males have little chance against poor non whites. It’s really just a glimpse of the discrimination going on and how profound it will be in 10 years.

It’s also much harder to get into a college as a white male. Poor white males have little chance against poor non whites. It’s really just a glimpse of the discrimination going on and how profound it will be in 10 years.

1/10

Some colleges are practicing 'affirmative action' for boys, since more girls apply, education experts say. It points to a bigger problem.

• Some US colleges are accepting a higher share of their male applicants than their female applicants
  • That's because more girls apply, but schools want to keep the ratio somewhat even in the student body.
  • Researchers say this is a form of affirmative action, and it's a sign of bigger problems in the education system.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/colleges-practicing-affirmative-action-boys-114400204.html

I often wonder about this. It's easy to point to liberal arts and social science degrees vs. trades as an explanation - presumably that men are choosing the trades over something in the humanities.

But I think might be too obvious an example. I wonder if the change is not a decrease in the amount of men going to college but rather simply an increase in the number of women. In decades past, women didn't go to college. They were housekeepers, secretaries and other fields that didn't require an education. That has changed. And while the trades are out there, they remain a difficult area for women to enter comfortably. So more women are going to college because it is the only real post-secondary education option and not fewer men going to college.

I'm sure there's some data out there to support that. I'd bet that male enrollment hasn't actually declined.
Fig2_EdxCohort_hires_0.png

Just a quick glance suggests that men with degrees has been holding steady for 50+ years while women keep climbing.

How quick was your glance? Did you get the chance to notice that the Data on your chart ends in 1990?

How quick was your glance? Did you get the chance to notice that the Data on your chart ends in 1990?

Looking more recently, I see this:

https://www.statista.com/statistics...nment-of-college-diploma-or-higher-by-gender/
educational-attainment-of-college-diploma-or-higher-by-gender

Which supports his point. And this:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d20/tables/dt20_302.60.asp?current=yes

But also this:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-f...sis-is-not-just-in-enrollment-but-completion/

I respect Brookings, but it seems to me that the short-term focus is misguided because a deep recession probably led to more people going to school because of the then-current weak job market and more fear about the future so the fall would be off an elevated base.

Note that the first link and Pan's post were about completion, while the latter two are about enrollment. Related but not exactly the same issue.

Women go along with authoritarianism, never were/will be able to stage a revolt against tyranny, and basically think with their twats until they are about 60. It was always a solid authoritarian/power consolidation plan to crush evolved men capable of creating new functioning society using their own evolved sense of “fairness”against them. Men, especially white, have been being pushed into lower caste status for a couple-few decades now. Idiots didn’t resist. Cops and courts went along for their own short term benefits. Peak western society ate itself and will die because of it.

Looking more recently, I see this:

https://www.statista.com/statistics...nment-of-college-diploma-or-higher-by-gender/
educational-attainment-of-college-diploma-or-higher-by-gender

Which supports his point. And this:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d20/tables/dt20_302.60.asp?current=yes

But also this:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-f...sis-is-not-just-in-enrollment-but-completion/

I respect Brookings, but it seems to me that the short-term focus is misguided because a deep recession probably led to more people going to school because of the then-current weak job market and more fear about the future so the fall would be off an elevated base.

Note that the first link and Pan's post were about completion, while the latter two are about enrollment. Related but not exactly the same issue.

I wasn't arguing the point so much as pointing out that the data being used to prove the point was extremely outdated.

Looking at the more current data you've provided here, though, his point really does seem to fall down. If you don't think so, you're reading it an awfully lot differently than I am.

Look at the raw stats in your second link. Male enrolment has been stagnant for a decade and a half. White male enrollment for two decades and a half, while every other demographic has grown. Now, mind you, that's not entirely a bad thing as other demographics had a lot of catching up to do. But it does bring up legitimate concerns:

1. First in the fact that relative to women, men have now fallen behind, and the gap has reversed (which is different from women catching up and the gap being eliminated).
2. Second in the fact that stagnation in any demographic is probably problematic in today's economic environment.
3. And third in the fact that white male enrolment has come down off of its peaks (although this one is true of women as well, and I take your point about those peaks taking place in the midst of week job markets).

I think the first link you have there is a little less useful... or, at the very least, needs to understood a little more precisely in order to get the right message out of it. This chart isn't about current "completion" rates. It's about every man or woman who currently holds a college degree, whether earned recently, or earned 30, 40, or 50 years ago. The trends in something like that are going to be an awful lot slower moving, because people literally have to die off for the numbers to move dramatically. The fact that women have pulled ahead at all on that graph is quite telling, considering the huge gaps from the late 60s into the 90s among people most of whom would still be alive today (including the huge boomer generation).

It's about dividing families to weaken the people making them more malleable, and pliable, and able to be dominated and controlled by the State.

Jesus. But does this mean that rightists are pro-education now? I guess that's a welcome development, even if the reason for it is a crazy CT.

Women go along with authoritarianism, never were/will be able to stage a revolt against tyranny, and basically think with their twats until they are about 60. It was always a solid authoritarian/power consolidation plan to crush evolved men capable of creating new functioning society using their own evolved sense of “fairness”against them. Men, especially white, have been being pushed into lower caste status for a couple-few decades now. Idiots didn’t resist. Cops and courts went along for their own short term benefits. Peak western society ate itself and will die because of it.

Basically think with their twats? Lol, you need to get out more or you meant to talk about men. Most women don’t take their test into consideration when they make decisions.

Only 14% of women are active duty military.

What's being done about this?
There's been studies done in Scandinavia that show men and women tend to fall into traditional gender role careers having complete freedom to choose all available options. Given that men have evolved towards the physical and women towards the social aspects of life to meet demands it's really not all that surprising that many men will opt out of a classroom environment sooner than women. Or, I guess more accurately now that the option is more readily available, that the number of women enrolling in college outpaces that of men.

Long and short of it, I still think this is a big meh.

Basically think with their twats? Lol, you need to get out more or you meant to talk about men. Most women don’t take their test into consideration when they make decisions.

What women blame men for, is generally them/what they do. Women have the burden of carrying children from 9 months and are the gate keepers of passing on genes; they were always holding the biggest cards. Their priorities are different, and somewhat more primitive, out of necessity. They are more cold under the surface, out of necessity and survival over the eons. You let women’s sexuality guide society, you never leave the jungle/forest. That’s why all cultures that advanced, completely separate of each other, came up with the same societal norms giving men final say, and repressing women’s primitive desires to a point.

College is a total waste of time unless you're going for something like an MD or engineering. Men have figured this out already but unfortunately for women, society is still telling them college is the end all be all. They'll figure it out at some point.

As a side note you could even argue that those programs like medal school/engineering are a waste of time because I'm sure a lot of the course work/classes have nothing/little to do with these fields.

Would probably be better if fields like that had their own institutions instead of wasting countless years making future professionals sit through electives and horrendously boring book work.

I often wonder about this. It's easy to point to liberal arts and social science degrees vs. trades as an explanation - presumably that men are choosing the trades over something in the humanities.

But I think might be too obvious an example. I wonder if the change is not a decrease in the amount of men going to college but rather simply an increase in the number of women. In decades past, women didn't go to college. They were housekeepers, secretaries and other fields that didn't require an education. That has changed. And while the trades are out there, they remain a difficult area for women to enter comfortably. So more women are going to college because it is the only real post-secondary education option and not fewer men going to college.

I'm sure there's some data out there to support that. I'd bet that male enrollment hasn't actually declined.
Fig2_EdxCohort_hires_0.png

Just a quick glance suggests that men with degrees has been holding steady for 50+ years while women keep climbing.
This seems a reasonable explanation to me. Makes sense on its face. Statistically I believe men do other, more physical, dangerous jobs too and may consider other options that don't require college more often than women. Probably relatively simple explanations exist for the variance of other groups within the sexes too. But I suppose explanations like these backed by data aren't as sexy as "social engineering" (which apparently only goes one way by the way, which I find noteworthy) and "the decay of society." Unsurprisingly to me in my journey through this thread so far, this post seems largely ignored.

Probably because they are, if they identified as male they'd be right.

Back