Economy Men only make up 40% of college students. Where is the outcry?

I was born in the wrong generation, dudes now have a decent chance of their wife having a good career while they get the kids to school, clean around the house a bit, get the shopping done online and then do what they want for the rest of the day.

I was born in the wrong generation, dudes now have a decent chance of their wife having a good career while they get the kids to school, clean around the house a bit, get the shopping done online and then do what they want for the rest of the day.

Ye, you can do whatever you want from 09:30 a.m., every day. Doesn’t sound too bad.

Because now young men are the enemy of SJW engineering and probably don’t feel like they can make something of themselves so they don’t try.

Ye, you can do whatever you want from 09:30 a.m., every day. Doesn’t sound too bad.

Yeah, I'm not buying that it's hard work anyway, I'm single and have a daughter and on the days I have her and am at work I have to do all the homemaker stuff and work full time.

It'd be awesome. Get the kids to school, go to the gym for a bit, meet your mates for lunch, go do BJJ for a bit, clean around the house a little bit, play video games for a bit, pick up the kids from school, cook dinner, do something as a family, fuck the wife, go to sleep.

What a life.

What's going on with our young men? It seems like men are falling behind and all you can hear is cheers. Is this not a problem for the left? I think it is. Look I know college is not the only metric for success but these are staggering numbers. What can be done to reverse this?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/colleg...-EBA4OQanCW-1aLor9e_mq7-PNa699o05vgoKwO8vM5Is

Men are abandoning higher education in such numbers that they now trail female college students by record levels.

At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.

This education gap, which holds at both two- and four-year colleges, has been slowly widening for 40 years. The divergence increases at graduation: After six years of college, 65% of women in the U.S. who started a four-year university in 2012 received diplomas by 2018 compared with 59% of men during the same period, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

In the next few years, two women will earn a college degree for every man, if the trend continues, said Douglas Shapiro, executive director of the research center at the National Student Clearinghouse.

No reversal is in sight. Women increased their lead over men in college applications for the 2021-22 school year—3,805,978 to 2,815,810—by nearly a percentage point compared with the previous academic year, according to Common Application, a nonprofit that transmits applications to more than 900 schools. Women make up 49% of the college-age population in the U.S., according to the Census Bureau.

"Men are falling behind remarkably fast," said Thomas Mortenson, a senior scholar at the Pell Institute for the Study of Opportunity in Higher Education, which aims to improve educational opportunities for low-income, first-generation and disabled college students.

The college gender gap cuts across race, geography and economic background. For the most part, white men—once the predominant group on American campuses—no longer hold a statistical edge in enrollment rates, said Mr. Mortenson, of the Pell Institute. Enrollment rates for poor and working-class white men are lower than those of young Black, Latino and Asian men from the same economic backgrounds, according to an analysis of census data by the Pell Institute for the Journal.
I've literally never heard anyone cheer this. "All you can hear is cheers". Really? But anyway, a lot of the educational system is geared towards female tendencies and preferences. And the PC cookie cutter culture turns off a lot of men, even left leaning and/or minority men like me. FWIW, it seems colleges are aware of this issue and are trying to get more men enrolled at universities. Hopefully we'll be able to reverse some of this cultural divide and come together...

There's been an anti male campaign for a long time which has ramped up in the last decade. From young to old, the value of the male is being attacked and compromised and by nature men don't get involved in the drama because in the end action speaks louder than words.

Unfortunately the longer men wait silently to stand up for themselves the harder it will be to regain self respect in the eyes of "society"...

Also, who gives a shit? College statistics are manipulated and who wants to appeal to an insane society? Men should first respect themselves by living by principles and second find a woman who values men who respect themselves to create a family who will then become the focus. This is how men retain their role and support a strong "society", a separate society if necessary.

Why would there be an outcry? I don't this is a big a deal at all. People don't necessarily need a degree to get a decent job.

“Enrollment rates for poor and working-class white men are lower than those of young Black, Latino and Asian men from the same economic backgrounds, according to an analysis of census data by the Pell Institute for the Journal.”

That quote right there puts to bed the myth that this is the country of the oppressed for minorities.

I often wonder about this. It's easy to point to liberal arts and social science degrees vs. trades as an explanation - presumably that men are choosing the trades over something in the humanities.

But I think might be too obvious an example. I wonder if the change is not a decrease in the amount of men going to college but rather simply an increase in the number of women. In decades past, women didn't go to college. They were housekeepers, secretaries and other fields that didn't require an education. That has changed. And while the trades are out there, they remain a difficult area for women to enter comfortably. So more women are going to college because it is the only real post-secondary education option and not fewer men going to college.

I'm sure there's some data out there to support that. I'd bet that male enrollment hasn't actually declined.
Fig2_EdxCohort_hires_0.png

Just a quick glance suggests that men with degrees has been holding steady for 50+ years while women keep climbing.
This is an important point, and one that was obviously ignored.

“Enrollment rates for poor and working-class white men are lower than those of young Black, Latino and Asian men from the same economic backgrounds, according to an analysis of census data by the Pell Institute for the Journal.”

That quote right there puts to bed the myth that this is the country of the oppressed for minorities.

Not really. These are rates for enrollment. This is more a statement toward white males than anything to do with minorities.

Is it that bad though? University at the BA level in most disciplines is a snoozefest of studying a huge pile of irrelevant information every week that you'll never remember or apply anyway. If you can GTFO and get rich through a trade, sounds like a good idea. Girls are physically weaker and I don't think most of them would feel comfortable working in dangerous / dirty / noisy environments where hard physical labour is required every day, so it makes them for them to aim for the pencil pusher jobs. These days a BA is nothing, you need grad school (or equivalent) to make decent money.

And the left pushes unless degrees like there is an actual need or job out there. People see all the expenses with no job prospect and decided there are better ways to go.

That’s more a symptom of supply and demand. No one is being forced to take these useless degrees. There are other jobs, like engineering and medical which pay very well. You make it seem like going to college and selecting a major is like going into military service.

I could also say that declining white male enrollment is a sign of privilege as white males don’t need a BA or better to be successful today whereas female and minorities see it at a necessity to succeed.

That’s more a symptom of supply and demand. No one is being forced to take these useless degrees. There are other jobs, like engineering and medical which pay very well. You make it seem like going to college and selecting a major is like going into military service.

Are you saying people don't have a choice in what the chose? Or is it they don't have the ability to pass the courses required to get other degrees?
If you don't have the drive and education for a useful degree the maybe you should look at something besides college.

It's great.

Does this study include Trade Schools? The ratio of Men : Women at trade schools is very skewed towards Men.

This actually makes me envy my boys’ future college experience a bit. There’ll be so much desperate booty available to them.

My immediate thought. My son will graduate high school in 2033, and then it is going to be party time.

Back