Music you 'dont get'

Modern auto-tune hip hop is all about catchy hooks and beats that slap. I'm not a fan of it, but I do get it.

The only music I really don't get would be death/black metal, for the same reason others in this thread have mentioned - the coarse vocals. I get a sore throat just listening to that stuff.

Electronic rave style music. There seems to be a thousand different sub-genre names for the laptop music, but they all sound like the same repetitive shit to me. Hate it all.

Death metal. I love looking up the more extreme band names and reading their lyrics as they always seem to make me laugh, but like the electronic music there are different sub-genres of death metal but it all sounds the same to me. Someone please let me know what the difference between a "slam" death metal band and band that is just simple "brutal" death metal? Or gore-grind? Even though I'm not a fan of that style of music, I can appreciate the ability of the musicians that play it. Especially the drummers.

Country. Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash? They are cool. What shows up at the country music awards? I don't get it. I don't want to get it. No thanks. I hate it.

Electronic rave style music. There seems to be a thousand different sub-genre names for the laptop music, but they all sound like the same repetitive shit to me. Hate it all.
I get bopping away to it on a dance floor smashed out of your head. I can not, however, comprehend listening to it in the cold light of day, sober

I sort of did that. I stopped listening to new music (as in recently released music) almost entirely after college because I don't listen to the radio or go out, but I still listen to music that's new to me pretty frequently.

In response to the thread topic: growling and gutteral noises in metal. I don't get it. I don't see the appeal. I often really like the instrumentals in black metal and death metal, but they completely lose me with the vocals. I've been seeking more bands that have heavy metal instrumentals without the extremely heavy vocals.
Think of the vocals as another instrument. Or is it just the sound of the vocals in general? What about harsher vocals where you can still understand what they're saying?

Think of the vocals as another instrument. Or is it just the sound of the vocals in general? What about harsher vocals where you can still understand what they're saying?
If I can understand what they're saying, it's less shitty. I'm just generally not a fan of the sound, though.

In order of most hated to least hated:
Growls
Low screams
High screams

There are plenty of more mainstream metal bands who scream in a less screamy way and I like that. Lol I know that sounds ridiculous, but there generally easier to understand and more melodic. I'd almost call it more of a shout than a scream.

Death metal. I love looking up the more extreme band names and reading their lyrics as they always seem to make me laugh, but like the electronic music there are different sub-genres of death metal but it all sounds the same to me. Someone please let me know what the difference between a "slam" death metal band and band that is just simple "brutal" death metal? Or gore-grind? Even though I'm not a fan of that style of music, I can appreciate the ability of the musicians that play it. Especially the drummers.

Easy.

Slam mainly consists of a power chords played on low strings at a slow tempo aka "chugging" riffs repeatedly with a change in tempo occasionally and then back again to the same riff or a slight variation of the riff of it accompanied with incomprehensible vocals aka gutterals. Songs are basically one big drawn out breakdown or "Slam".

Examples:

Brutal death metal is death metal but incorporating more chugging riffs for heaviness like "Slam" but with more complex songwriting like tech death mixed with the gutterals. Also, much like death metal, while the checkboxes are usually there for something to be brutal death metal, there are many different bands in the genre that stand out with their own sound once you get to know the genre where as in slam the sound can get a bit generic(slam fan here)

Examples:
At 1:20 you could call that a "slam" or simply a breakdown but it's used sparingly where as in slam it would be used essentially the entire song.

1:08 would be another "slam/breakdown" but again, used sparingly.

Goregrind is grind riffing but with faster blasts, low gutterals(sometimes pitch shifters) and gore themed.

Example:

The more you listen to the genres the more you can hear a difference in not only the genres but the bands as well. To non listeners they sound the same and I completely get it but as you develop an ear for the music, you'll start seeing bands standing apart.

Mainstream country and mainstream rap.

Not that I hate everything mainstream, I just find those two to be particularly awful and devoid of intelligence or originality.

If I can understand what they're saying, it's less shitty. I'm just generally not a fan of the sound, though.

In order of most hated to least hated:
Growls
Low screams
High screams

There are plenty of more mainstream metal bands who scream in a less screamy way and I like that. Lol I know that sounds ridiculous, but there generally easier to understand and more melodic. I'd almost call it more of a shout than a scream.
You don't have to understand what they're saying though. I'm sure you may listen to music in languages you don't understand, or instrumental music with no vocals at all, yeah?

You don't have to understand what they're saying though. I'm sure you may listen to music in languages you don't understand, or instrumental music with no vocals at all, yeah?
I do listen to instrumentals and foreign music.

I don't care that I don't understand them. There are elements of the sound that usually accompany me not being able to understand them that I don't like. I'm not educated enough in music theory to be able to put what I don't like about it into words accurately. The screams that I like usually hit a wider range of notes and make a more noticable use of melody than the monotonous gutteral noises that just get on my nerves.

I just like cleaner vocals.
<Fedor23>

I do listen to instrumentals and foreign music.

I don't care that I don't understand them. There are elements of the sound that usually accompany me not being able to understand them that I don't like. I'm not educated enough in music theory to be able to put what I don't like about it into words accurately. The screams that I like usually hit a wider range of notes and make a more noticable use of melody than the monotonous gutteral noises that just get on my nerves.

I just like cleaner vocals.
<Fedor23>
No h8 from me bro

You don't like the sound

Music is sound

That's fair

Maybe try some melodic death metal? Vocals are usually pretty understandable.

Death metal.

Metal heads that can’t sing fit in this genre.

Mumble rap/SoundCloud rap/dog shit

Rappers can’t form a proper lyric and sing with auto tune.
Death metal is mostly shit, there are 2 bands i recomend though. Death and gojira

I definitely dislike the metal growling and shit. The only one that does that shit that I like was Static X. I'm not sure why but I think I liked the flow they had. Can't think of anything other super heavy crazy metal vocals I liked.

uhhhhh, ya, death metal, and, not that i dont get them, but so many really popular bands are so mediocre to my ear

queen
madonna
michael jackson
brittney spears.....

everything thats come out of my country that was big in the 90s - Bryan Adams, Celine, Alanis, Sarah, lol, Shania

there is just so much better out there... its not that they suck.

and then bands like tool and rush and satriani and malmsteen, singers like mariah carey - ok, there is talent there... but why am i supposed to want to listen to it? people bang on about octaves and time signatures and finger speed, but does it sound good? is there a lyric that is interesting?

Happy hardcore is the absolute worst and anyone who listens to it is an awful human being who should be summarily executed.
I have this Euro friend who would get drunk at parties and camping and put that garbage on. You could hear the chicks pussys drying up the minute they heard it.

I do however secretly have this album on my gym workout list.

I work with adults who listen to modern Pop Punk all day... And I hate it.. though I was into Blink and Sum41 shit waaaay back when.

I think I'm going to have to add bubblegum bass to the list of genres I don't get.

I'm not really a huge fan of Jazz, country etc.

So far, I listen only rock, rap and pop.

Back