Opinion No, comic books didn't 'become' left wing, they always have been.

Right winger: I think we should have better border control.
Leftist: *stops mutilating children in anger* A NAZI! TIME TO FIGHT! I AM EXACTLY LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA AND YOU ARE HITLER!

Yes, Republicans wanted to build a wall after 8 years of negative migration rates and the most secure border in history during the Obama years because they just had good faith concerns about border security. When they started mass deporting without due process, separating families, and purposefully diverting resources away from amenities in detention facilities, it was because they were just *so concerned* about securing our border.

Well yeah Superman/Cap are pretty much clean cut sjw's driven to superhore'ing, by altruism and empathy so i would agree they are pretty standard left wingers. Cap is patriotic, and defined by his connection to USA, but supe is a globalist.

I guess it depends on preference, but the most badass and coolest superheroes Batman/Punisher are essential right wringers. Both are motivated by revenge and to restore law and order in a chaotic world. Both deal and cripple street level thugs which we already know that the left is willing to literally riot for.

How lame you have to be to be against Batman?

I disagree, Batman is definitely an authoritarian but I don't see any particular lean towards right or left politics in his vigilantism. Bruce Wayne however is a rich liberal, when he gets the chance to do anything serious without disrupting his playboy image it's always some sort of social program or chairty drive for for the underprivileged. More importantly Batman is quite clearly mentally ill and is at least partially aware of it. His constant dealings with insanity both in villians and his personal life make the stories a commentary on obsession to ideals and the shaky mental health you'd have to have to commit to a black and white worldview.

So I'm not saying Batman is explicitly left wing as Cap but it's complicated.

Punisher probably is very conservative, to sometimes being a right wing 'law and order' fascist but the meta of the stories definately paints that as a weakness not a strength. The stories paints the punisher as a deeply troubled man whose motivated by grief and spite. To the point where other heroes disagree with his motivations enough to smack him in the face.

fdf139b9bd113efae466af9a06c0efd4.jpg

3818548085_5d07a37a8e_b.jpg

Hey folks. From my conservative movie thread I saw the topic divert briefly into comic books and I thought as this is something I'm fairly well versed in, I'd offer some knowledge. I know some people have a nostalgia for a 'good old days of comics' when they were more conservative, and I have to tell you that just isn't true. Comic book hereos at least as far as Marvel and DC have always been very progressive. I post to you these two shorts, that would be considered 'woke SJW nonsense' today let alone 60-70 years ago.

3KJaoZcsHd5jXkCgK6-wrcgDqLwQTp-XDhPspuKyiR0.jpg

z2ffZE8k0blMui5oCEsydPnQkVUO7X5vDAUFj6aI2Ec.jpg

Thanks to Jeremyemilio who sparked me to think about this topic in detail, here is my refutation to something her brings up:

All mainline DC and comic book heroes are pretty leftwing. Iron Man is a slight libertarian twist but is still a billionarie who ditched profiting off weapons to invest in renewable energy affordable appliances and 'make the world better' hippy projects.

Captain America is firmly left-wing, an anti-facist liberal arts student from New York who despite coming from the 1940s harbours no ill will towards any races, sexualities or religious groups, and actively rejects american government to pursue the ideals of tolerance and 'helping the little guy'.

Superman is literally an immigrant allegory about being accepted in a land were you weren't born, and holy shit did some of his stories trend what you would consider 'woke hysteria'.

Lois-Lane-106.jpg

Super fucking weird for sure, but turning into a black woman to expose and understand her and Superman's unconscious racial biases is hardly 'right wing'.

Stan-Lee was famously a left-wing anti-racist and made no effort to hide that. He literally gave himself a 'soapbox' to preach.

StanLeeSoapBox_01.jpg

Then why did SJW's need to fix them? Because leftists keep lecturing us about how terrible we all are, and how we don't want strong women or people of color in our comics, but yet they've been there all along. The difference is that the far left crap being injected into entertainment today is low quality garbage that exists just to annoy people and let SJW assholes pretend that they are making some kind of historic breakthroughs, rather than entertain people with interesting characters and great storylines. They completely ignored that comics has been putting out positive representations of non-white males for decades. Like when the Black Panther movie came out and all these leftists postured about how glorious it is that we finally had a black super hero, while ignoring Blade.

Absolutely brilliant post Mila. Great job on this. Good guys in comics, movies and real life are generally left wing. That's because left wing are the good guys.

Then why did SJW's need to fix them? Because leftists keep lecturing us about how terrible we all are, and how we don't want strong women or people of color in our comics, but yet they've been there all along. The difference is that the far left crap being injected into entertainment today is low quality garbage that exists just to annoy people and let SJW assholes pretend that they are making some kind of historic breakthroughs, rather than entertain people with interesting characters and great storylines. They completely ignored that comics has been putting out positive representations of non-white males for decades. Like when the Black Panther movie came out and all these leftists postured about how glorious it is that we finally had a black super hero, while ignoring Blade.

You're speaking from recency bias. The comics back then WERE considered preachy and annoying in the way you're complaining about them now. You only have fond memories of the 'old comics' because you were in your younger informative years back then and nowhere near as politcal (right wing) as you are now.

DdCJ849VAAABXU3.jpg

Guess what, back in the 70s people found it annoying that spiderman would literally put a halt to the story to share his political views about prison reform.

Comics have ALWAYS been aggressively pushing anti-racist progressive messages, it was never subtle either. You just weren't aware of it.

ei2g4l2reqa41.jpg

Well yeah Superman/Cap are pretty much clean cut sjw's driven to superhore'ing, by altruism and empathy so i would agree they are pretty standard left wingers. Cap is patriotic, and defined by his connection to USA, but supe is a globalist.

I guess it depends on preference, but the most badass and coolest superheroes Batman/Punisher are essential right wringers. Both are motivated by revenge and to restore law and order in a chaotic world. Both deal and cripple street level thugs which we already know that the left is willing to literally riot for.

How lame you have to be to be against Batman?
A globalist? That’s a stretch. He stood for truth, justice, and the American Way.

Crazily that’s white supremacy talk now

You're speaking from recency bias. The comics back then WERE considered preachy and annoying in the way you're complaining about them now. You only have fond memories of the 'old comics' because you were in your younger informative years back then and nowhere near as politcal (right wing) as you are now.

DdCJ849VAAABXU3.jpg

Guess what, back in the 70s people found it annoying that spiderman would literally put a halt to the story to share his political views about prison reform.

Comics have ALWAYS been aggressively pushing anti-racist progressive messages, it was never subtle either. You just weren't aware of it.

ei2g4l2reqa41.jpg
Spidey is a commie.

He has a red suit, doesn't hold a full time job and is a college skinny dork.

His motto is thinly veiled marxism.
A globalist? That’s a stretch. He stood for truth, justice, and the American Way.

Crazily that’s white supremacy talk now
Yeah well most of his adventures were global affairs, plenty of them environmental and didn't discriminate on basis of nationality when he could have helped.

I just made a comic and one of the heroes is black
AW3FSFk.jpg

Bereft (shameless plug alert)
One of my favorite heroes is Conan. I doubt he's left wing

What you mean the naked barbarian from an apocalyptic fantasy world that's nothing like our own?

What the hell makes you think Conan is right wing? He's just a muscular dude with a sword.

Fun fact: Captain Planet, the environmentalist super hero, was originally meant to be a conservative hero named Professor Profit Margins who dumped oil in rivers, slaughtered endangered species, and gave children cancer so that GE stock outperformed the market.

And now he's a far left environmentalist extremist.

G4i97Bx.jpeg

No... there was no political attachment apart from nationalism in a lot of comics. You don't get to claim " being a good person " as being a left leaning trait.....

You guys really do think highly off yourselves and lowly of the other.

Does this mean that all the racist and sexist cartoon characters were created by left-wingers?

Back