Opinion No, comic books didn't 'become' left wing, they always have been.

Imagine if Spider Man was a big time right winger instead. Lmfao.

He’d be making up fake Fox level news stories with J Jonah Jameson and helping the Kingpin dump toxic waste behind a school for blind children.
If he would be a right winger he wouldn't be living with his aunt.

Imagine if Spider Man was a big time right winger instead. Lmfao.

He’d be making up fake Fox level news stories with J Jonah Jameson and helping the Kingpin dump toxic waste behind a school for blind children.

Humor has always been a big part of Spiderman's character. That alone makes it impossible for him to be a rightwinger.

The idea of almost any of these superheroes being conservative is pretty laughable. These are people with powers and friends with aliens---what bullshit culture war stuff would they be on the right on?
When it comes to stuff like border security and immigration they might get Nick Fury and Punisher, but not too many others.

Humor has always been a big part of Spiderman's character. That alone makes it impossible for him to be a rightwinger.

The idea of almost any of these superheroes being conservative is pretty laughable. These are people with powers and friends with aliens---what bullshit culture war stuff would they be on the right on?
When it comes to stuff like border security and immigration they might get Nick Fury and Punisher, but not too many others.

Hahahaa that opening sentence was great.

I agree. Superheroes are selfless and put themselves and their well being on hold so everyone else can benefit from their tireless work. Imagine a “pull yourself up by your booth straps” right winger doing any of that? Lol, NO.

The notion of superheroes being right wing is as stupid as asking why rock n roll isn’t a very right wing thing either.

I always thought comics were fake and gay, now every other movie is some shitty comic movie.

Norman Osborn
Lex Luthor
General Ross

These guys are hardcore republicans. All authoritarians too. Hint hint.

also here’s Spider Man and Obama from ASM 2009. Spidey likes Obama too and wise guy Spidey even makes some Biden jokes. In fact it’s a really good one too

obama-spider-man.jpg

Hey folks. From my conservative movie thread I saw the topic divert briefly into comic books and I thought as this is something I'm fairly well versed in, I'd offer some knowledge. I know some people have a nostalgia for a 'good old days of comics' when they were more conservative, and I have to tell you that just isn't true. Comic book hereos at least as far as Marvel and DC have always been very progressive. I post to you these two shorts, that would be considered 'woke SJW nonsense' today let alone 60-70 years ago.

3KJaoZcsHd5jXkCgK6-wrcgDqLwQTp-XDhPspuKyiR0.jpg

z2ffZE8k0blMui5oCEsydPnQkVUO7X5vDAUFj6aI2Ec.jpg

Thanks to Jeremyemilio who sparked me to think about this topic in detail, here is my refutation to something her brings up:

All mainline DC and comic book heroes are pretty leftwing. Iron Man is a slight libertarian twist but is still a billionarie who ditched profiting off weapons to invest in renewable energy affordable appliances and 'make the world better' hippy projects.

Captain America is firmly left-wing, an anti-facist liberal arts student from New York who despite coming from the 1940s harbours no ill will towards any races, sexualities or religious groups, and actively rejects american government to pursue the ideals of tolerance and 'helping the little guy'.

Superman is literally an immigrant allegory about being accepted in a land were you weren't born, and holy shit did some of his stories trend what you would consider 'woke hysteria'.

Lois-Lane-106.jpg

Super fucking weird for sure, but turning into a black woman to expose and understand her and Superman's unconscious racial biases is hardly 'right wing'.

Stan-Lee was famously a left-wing anti-racist and made no effort to hide that. He literally gave himself a 'soapbox' to preach.

StanLeeSoapBox_01.jpg

Those comics are not Left Wing, that simply being a decent human being.

Besides, the left hates America. Well they hate everything, but most definitely America.

Besides, the left hates America. Well they hate everything, but most definitely America.

Yeahhhhh, that’s why they tried over turning an election by lying about mass voter fraud and are working tirelessly to prevent people from having easier voting access in states across the nation.

Yup republicans reallllyyy love America. Another great hot take Bob.

The fact you guys are assigning fictional characters political beliefs is insane.........

It's the intent of the writers and the narrative of the stories we are analysing not the characters themselves you moron.

So you're really going to tell me with a straight face that the X-men aren't an allegory for LGBT kids 'coming out' and the broader civil rights movement?

Oh that's right, you don't know what an allegory or a meta-narrative is, you just see square jawed guys with big muscles throwing punches and think "Yeah that's good, so it's in line with my politics!"

Well yeah, left wingers are way more creative.

Yeahhhhh, that’s why they tried over turning an election by lying about mass voter fraud and are working tirelessly to prevent people from having easier voting access in states across the nation.

Yup republicans reallllyyy love America. Another great hot take Bob.

"Russia"

Please spare us your feigned outrage.

Well yeah, left wingers are way more creative.

Except for the fact that I daresay most great artists through history would be considered a far right Nazi by the left at this point in history.

Hey Beethoven, did you know that women can have penises?

<{cruzshake}>

Hey da Vinci, we know you're gay, but you're still a Nazi if you don't date that woman wearing a suit.

Hey Martin Luther King, you know that dream you had? That's white supremacy.

Back