Official UFC 197 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see at least a few on big Pettis. May be biased being from WI and watching him on World of Jenks in college lol, but think he lands the harder strikes, possibly dropping if not finishing barboza. If it goes the distance, think he has the better chance of landing a takedown and definitely is the better grappler. Have him to close out a couple parlays from last weekend.

Also with quite a few people on Fili. Ill take the prospect with a better camp, more experience and more likely to finish the fight.

Also think Roberts gets Steele out of there within two rounds, don't trust Steeles "all action" approach with his chin and Roberts bottom game.

For anyone who plays draftings, think MM of Whittaker has higher ceiling? I apologize if I didn't use the spoiler right, first attempt.

Didn't think there was going to be anything worth betting on but now i'm digging up all the hobogold from the ol field down the creek and putting it on Barboza, Kelades, Natal and Escudero

All tempting plays for me as well. I've somewhat been talked out of Edson.

He's always getting walked down and looking desperate in his fights.

Don't see why pettis can't do the same.

I certainly rate pettis higher than mj and I was sure Edson would destroy mj.

Whittaker is a brawler. Natal is a martial artist. The big knock is natal is rather slow plodding and not the greatest top game despite the credentials.

Whittaker was gassing vs hall natal was pouring it on in Roind 3

Sergio to me is always easy to bet against because I think his name gets him an extra -200 to what the odds should be.

And lee thinks he's Floyd mayweather. Has limited Bjj and imo could easily get gritted out by efrain the vet

Last edited:

He's always getting walked down and looking desperate in his fights.

Don't see why pettis can't do the same.

I certainly rate pettis higher than mj and I was sure Edson would destroy mj.

Whittaker is a brawler. Natal is a martial artist. The big knock is natal is rather slow plodding and not the greatest top game despite the credentials.

Whittaker was gassing vs hall natal was pouring it on in Roind 3

Sergio to me is always easy to bet against because I think his name gets him an extra -200 to what the odds should be.

And lee thinks he's Floyd mayweather. Has limited Bjj and imo could easily get gritted out by efrain the vet

Whittaker is not a brawler c'mon dude. He has excellent standup you are making him sound like Tank Abbott! I can't remember the Hall Natal fight too well but I certainly don't remember Natal pouring it on like he's a cardio machine either. Let's not forget Natal was beaten up on the feet over three rounds by a very slow and plodding Ed Herman only two years ago. Yes Natal is on a four fight winning run but two of them are controversial split decisions, and wins over Watson who was not UFC level and Casey who is pretty bad and dropped Natal in round one do not inspire confidence.

I know what you mean re Lee and his boxing but he has always mixed his wrestling in too. It's not like he will stand there for three rounds. He has shown decent fight IQ. I rewatched all his UFC fights and he has utilised takedowns in every fight bar Santos. Santos has elite level BJJ tho so i can understand his reservations there and Santos has clearly made big improvements in his standup which no one least not Lee saw coming. Plus the fight only lasted a few minutes so we didn't really get to see Lee's gameplan albeit it did look like it was to keep it standing. Escudero will not be able to stop Lee's takedowns and I fully expect Lee to mix them in.

For anyone who plays draftings, think MM of Whittaker has higher ceiling? I apologize if I didn't use the spoiler right, first attempt.
I guess Whittaker since he has more finishing potential and if Mighty Mouse finishes it will likely be quite late and that doesn't count for much in DK.

Those who said Hester is at Blackzillians now, is it his first camp there? Could have sworn he's been there for at least 1 fight already, if not two.

Lee dec +110 at Ladbrokes. Unanimous +187. May take the unanimous line.

Glad to see at least a few on big Pettis. May be biased being from WI and watching him on World of Jenks in college lol, but think he lands the harder strikes, possibly dropping if not finishing barboza. If it goes the distance, think he has the better chance of landing a takedown and definitely is the better grappler. Have him to close out a couple parlays from last weekend.

Also with quite a few people on Fili. Ill take the prospect with a better camp, more experience and more likely to finish the fight.

Also think Roberts gets Steele out of there within two rounds, don't trust Steeles "all action" approach with his chin and Roberts bottom game.

What's up man, welcome! Good to see a fellow Sconnie in here. I'm in the Madison area, born and raised. Lived here my whole life aside from college (and that was a long time ago, Tito hadn't even won the LHW belt LOL so yeah I'm old).

So Pettis/Barboza: Yeah if forced to just pick a winner I'd take Pettis but with odds where they are and how tentative he's looked in his last couple fights I think that's the reason you see a lot of us hitting that Barboza dec line. I'd imagine even though a lot of us are betting Barboza for value, we'd still pick Pettis SU.

Fili/Yair: I only have Yair by dec right now. But I'm second guessing myself a little. I might play Fili at + odds and just consider my Yair dec bet as a hedge. While I still think Yair dec is the most likely outcome, I agree with you in that Fili has more ways to win. Have to think about it a little more but I'm leaning toward putting something on Fili ML.

Roberts **should** stop Steele but I don't think it's a huge mismatch. Steele is game. I put a little on Steele and should have waited, more $ came in on Roberts LOL. So I'll probably just leave that alone and go with my tiny play at good + odds.

BOL man and glad you jumped in here!

I guess Whittaker since he has more finishing potential and if Mighty Mouse finishes it will likely be quite late and that doesn't count for much in DK.

Not entirely true. A late finish in a 5 round fight is actually a big score if your guy lands a bunch of takedowns, strikes, advances positions, etc. Early stoppages are always good of course but the highest score I've ever seen was Frankie vs Cub.

Oh, and @Stunna77:

I don't think you need to put DK stuff in spoilers. It's about this card, and it's betting on the fights. Just in a different way.

Paying the juice on Mighty Mouse here. I dont see how Cejudo beats him.

Think Whittaker smokes Natal and Jones smokes OSP.. parlayed both ML with DJ at close to evens. Lot of juice but Im pretty confident.

Also some on Barboza at +140. I think he can pull this one.

Not entirely true. A late finish in a 5 round fight is actually a big score if your guy lands a bunch of takedowns, strikes, advances positions, etc. Early stoppages are always good of course but the highest score I've ever seen was Frankie vs Cub.
Yeah i just think that Whittaker has more chances to finish. I don't see Mighty Mouse taking Cejudo down and holding him down for long enough to sub him and don't see him knocking him out.

Does anyone like Walt Harris?

Watched East's fights and wasn't too impressed. Competition was quite poor and a lot of those guys just stood there and didn't offer much back. It's hard to figure out how good East really is, but I think Harris is a decent step up from what East has faced so far.

My biggest concern is Harris getting tired and giving up as the fight goes on, especially if he faces any sort of adversity.

Does anyone like Walt Harris?

Watched East's fights and wasn't too impressed. Competition was quite poor and a lot of those guys just stood there and didn't offer much back. It's hard to figure out how good East really is, but I think Harris is a decent step up from what East has faced so far.

My biggest concern is Harris getting tired and giving up as the fight goes on, especially if he faces any sort of adversity.

You might as well flip a coin. One unknown HW, one shit HW. One punch is all it takes at HW too. Complete pass for me. If i had to bet it i would take the dog as it's a HW fight and East looks nothing special.

you think bookies add an extra 66% of winning to whatever chance they've already given him? not sure I agree with your numbers lol, but I agree with the sentiment. hype is a powerful thing, and it is slower to die away when the perceived potential is still there, partially i guess due to how young he still is.

What's up man, welcome! Good to see a fellow Sconnie in here. I'm in the Madison area, born and raised. Lived here my whole life aside from college (and that was a long time ago, Tito hadn't even won the LHW belt LOL so yeah I'm old).

So Pettis/Barboza: Yeah if forced to just pick a winner I'd take Pettis but with odds where they are and how tentative he's looked in his last couple fights I think that's the reason you see a lot of us hitting that Barboza dec line. I'd imagine even though a lot of us are betting Barboza for value, we'd still pick Pettis SU.

Fili/Yair: I only have Yair by dec right now. But I'm second guessing myself a little. I might play Fili at + odds and just consider my Yair dec bet as a hedge. While I still think Yair dec is the most likely outcome, I agree with you in that Fili has more ways to win. Have to think about it a little more but I'm leaning toward putting something on Fili ML.

Roberts **should** stop Steele but I don't think it's a huge mismatch. Steele is game. I put a little on Steele and should have waited, more $ came in on Roberts LOL. So I'll probably just leave that alone and go with my tiny play at good + odds.

BOL man and glad you jumped in here!

Yeah I have been a lingerer for awhile, but will try to contribute more, love the thread. I also am in the Madison area, born and raised in Stoughton and work on the west side. Thanks for the welcome!

Good to know regarding Pettis/Barboza, was starting to feel a little less confident, might still hedge some of my parlays with Barb dec, if bovada ever releases the lines. I got Pettis at -150, so was happy with the price.

Agree with about everything else too regarding Yair/Fili and Steele.

Thanks for the draftkings take too (Vkram as well!), might just do two line-ups with the same four then sub Whittaker and MM in.

Just realised I am over-exposed to Mighty Mouse by decision from some old parlays. Do we see a sub or ko as more likely for him to score a finish? Or just hedge ITD?

Just realised I am over-exposed to Mighty Mouse by decision from some old parlays. Do we see a sub or ko as more likely for him to score a finish? Or just hedge ITD?
Definitely a KO imo. Mighty Mouse catching him at range seems a lot more likely than getting in a position on the mat to snatch a sub. I wouldn't be surprised at all if MM doesn't get one take down.

Funny 3-leg parlay with BetVictor: JJ/OVP o0.5 rounds, MM/HC, o2.5 rounds, Esparza/Lima o1.5 rounds pays -107.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back