Official UFC 197 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faber, family, PVZ and Cody are coming out to support me, I need to prove I'm the best in the world, I just want to win and knock guys out, I have alot to prove to myself, I will be a world champion, my fight IQ is too high, I'm too aggressive, more physical, I'm the better athlete

Had a full camp, was dealing with personal stuff in my losses, now I'm not overwhelmed by the moment, they want to see a good fight, I do well against aggressive guys, it will be fun to throw leather, first round finish for sure.

I've been working so hard, i knew I was going to fight Fili, I know its a hard fight, but I'm here to fight the best guys, it's going to be a scramble in there, as long as I win, I don't care if it's a decision, i train basics, but when I fight the crazy stuff comes out

Pettis is going to ask Greg Jackson to corner him... Duke isn't happy - http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...reg-jackson-and-his-team-going-forward-042116

"It was an environment I feel I can get better and grow. Milwaukee, I feel I can definitely get better there, but growing mentally and all that, it's a slower process because I know everybody and I've done that gym routine for the last 10 years of my life. Changing it up and doing something new."

"Yes, for sure. Not permanent but I'll be going back and forth," Pettis said. "I'll be a couple of weeks in Milwaukee, a couple of weeks in New Mexico. My daughter's in Milwaukee, my mom's in Milwaukee, I own several businesses in Milwaukee, so I definitely have to come back but knowing I can get away for a couple of weeks and it's like a real vacation. A vacation to just focus on training."

"I don't know. We haven't had that conversation yet. I didn't really ask permission," Pettis said. "Duke's always given me freedom to do what I want to do. He's never been that guy like 'you've got to stay here or you're not on my team'. No, we're family. I told him I needed to clear my head and get some new looks. He didn't agree with it, he's like we're not getting paid to spar, let's not spar all these guys. You're getting paid to fight so let's get ready for your fight.

"I just felt like it was a good decision. I trained for three days and it was the best decision I've made. Nothing away from Duke. Duke's an amazing coach and will always be my coach but having bodies like that and training partners like that and the mindset of Greg Jackson and Israel Martinez and there's four jiu-jitsu coaches, four wrestling coaches, it's just so much information that I can get."

As far as his fight this weekend, Pettis says Roufus will still be in his corner but he plans to talk to Jackson once he arrives in Las Vegas about possibly joining him for the fight against Barboza.

"The key is that pressure. I felt uncomfortable sparring and that's how I feel in the Octagon," Pettis explained. "Most fights aren't comfortable where you're like 'oh this is easy'. It's an uncomfortable feeling where this guy has good moments, I have good moments but that's how it was when I sparred. It was good."

Weekend parlay

Bendo DEC
MM DEC
Spettis DEC
Carla DEC
Lee DEC
Roberts ITD

$15 for $1162

Man parlay Bones/Mighty mouse is about as good as it gets. I can't see either losing.

All this talk about DC ever beating Jones is fantasy unfortunately. I'm not a big fan of Jon, but I don't see him being beaten in the next 4 years.

Maybe if Cormier was ten years younger, but now no way.

Jon has a hard time with tall lanky tough guys like Gus, but little else. If you go back and watch his fight with Bonner, Stephan gave him a good fight as well (another tall lanky guy like Jon).

Outside of a lucky punch.. I don't see it.

As far as OSP. Well if Glover could not win. I don't see how OSP can.

Last edited:
OSP gained an inch of height lol they're listing him at 6'4 now

fight pass

lee-escudero
lee is absolutely shredded. he always is. looks in top form.
escudero on the opposite end of the spectrum. for a guy who always has a tough cut to 155, he sure looks like a bloated 145'er. drawn out, lil soft.

lee is 1" taller

hester-de lima
hester lookin thick at 205. he looks better than he did last time w/the bad weight cut at 185, but he sure looked better before that one..
de lima looks a lil drawn out. but looks fine. standard for him at 205
despite hester moving up, they are very similarly sized. hester might even be an inch taller.

east-harris
east looks alright. not great. but yea. heavyweights. he's in at 245.5.
harris lookin soft, imo. 255.5 & he looked better in the past
they're about the same size.

fs1:

franca-vick
vick looking super drawn out... looks gaunt.. very long and lean.
franca looks outstanding. also a lil sucked in, but looks great. huge 155'ers.
vick is 1-2" taller. franca looks stronger.

lima-esparza
lima looks great. she usually does, but i think this is the best she's looked. lean and in shape.
esparza a bit soft.. lil more than in the past. she's looked better.
lima is 4-5+" taller

steele-roberts
steele acting a bit odd.. nm he's just a weirdo. goes right to the towel. he makes it -- and he's super relieved, haha.... looks strong, but looks weary.
roberts looks great. lean and mean. looks oustanding
roberts is 2" taller, steele is bit thicker

kelades-s.pettis
kelades looks alright. for him, this is a good cut.. not coming out drenched in sweat, etc.
s.pettis looks oustanding. as good as ever.
they're the same size. (kelades had shoes on)

ppv:

rodriguez-fili
fili looks pretty good for him. he is still a lil soft in the midsection but he's looked worse for sure.
rodriguez lean and ripped. looks great.
they're the same size

natal-whittaker
natal looks meh. same as always. still say he has the frame for 170.
whittaker looks excellent. super solid. i think this is the strongest he's looked yet.
they're the same size

barboza-a.pettis
barboza continues to be the most shredded guy at 155. so lean, so ripped, no fat.
showtime looks very good. no surprise here.
barboza 1" taller.

dj-cejudo
cejudo looks great. fittest he's ever looked. weight cut doesn't seem to have drained him at all.
DJ looks fantastic as always. no surprises here.
they're the same size (cejudo had shoes on)

jj-osp
oh eth pee about the same as usual.. big strong 205'er. maybe he's looked a lil better in the past? short notice could be factor.
JJ looks super happy to be back. and yep. he looks fantastic. looks the strongest he ever has. osp is in for some trouble.
jones is maybe 1-2" taller? looks stronger, too

---

sorry for putting it up later than usual. didn't catch it live. damned passover! *shakes fist*

weigh-in induced:
-confidence boost in lima's chances, tho still not sure if i'll do much more than i have (which is small)
-added a lil more to franca
-added some more on whittaker.
-worried on steele. looked like a rough cut. wish i didn't bet a full unit early.

i've been watching alot of sergio pettis and chris kelades tape.

kelades style of lunging in with punches trying to get his clinch game going will be a disaster against someone with precise striking and excellent footwork like pettis. kelades got outstruck by beal who completely gassed after 1 round and should have lost that fight (poor dec IMO).

i just can't see kelades grinding his way to a decision like many people are predicting. think pettis gets it done in dominant fashion.

additionally, i'm not seeing that sergio has a huge wrestling deficiency (maybe too content to clinch and grapple despite having a striking advantage, at times), and kelades doesn't have particularly good offencive wrestling anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back