Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Jinh looked good. She still had some issues with pulling the tigger and letting Yoder off the hook. Early to mid second round Yoder looked gassed. Jinh was too passive and allowed her to catch her breath which Jinh ended up eating a couple lefts because of it. Overall much improved for Jinh. I hate to see any of these girls lose but I am happy Jinh won.

Had a feeling that would be a good fight. Buys definitely delivered when she was given a bigger spotlight than she should have.

She definitely made an impression, great timing on nailing the kick as soon as her opponent was up off the ground. Often times a strike like that ends up being a foul. The bonus for her is nice as well, considering how she seemed to be doing bad financially from the video that is floating around.

A shame UFC is raking in all the money from streaming and sponsorships, but it's not getting spread around to the fighters.

She definitely made an impression, great timing on nailing the kick as soon as her opponent was up off the ground. Often times a strike like that ends up being a foul. The bonus for her is nice as well, considering how she seemed to be doing bad financially from the video that is floating around.

A shame UFC is raking in all the money from streaming and sponsorships, but it's not getting spread around to the fighters.
It looks like the reason she is so broke is because she suddenly moved her whole life to Vegas from Texas and took out a loan to buy a house.

Warrior Princess is a weak moniker, girl should take over Lauren Murphy's nick.

Ah well Ashley, five years and ten UFC fights, it had to end one day and I'd guess now it has.

She’s not broke because of the sport, she’s broke because she’s made poor life choices. She moved to South Africa for some d!ck, then realized how shitty it was and moved back to the U.S, then moved again just because her former manager who left her hanging to pursue a different job came back to Vegas.

She’s not broke because of the sport, she’s broke because she’s made poor life choices. She moved to South Africa for some d!ck, then realized how shitty it was and moved back to the U.S, then moved again just because her former manager who left her hanging to pursue a different job came back to Vegas.
I would not say she moved to South Africa for Dck. I would say for love since they ended up getting married and they seem to be doing fine. It indeed was a bad decision because I remember her complaining about not being able to get many fights on the regional scene due to the price of plane tickets. I would guess that prompted them to move to Texas. I am not sure why they chose to live in Texas when she previously lived in Vegas. It seems like they finally came to the conclusion to move to Vegas after the UFC PI flew her out for tests. I guess they thought they could take advantage of the PI but that meant they had to move again and buy another house.

I also think Jinh looked good, you could say Yoder as an opponent helped her look good but Yoder has made a lot of decent fighters have much closer bouts then that in the past so that's worth something. I think the main difference was her confidence, going back a long way now she's seemed pensive and gunshy in a lot of bouts, resulting in deeply meh performances in not-so-great fights, but here she was prepared to swang some, resulting in a much better performance, and much better fight to watch for it, and even if she didn't get a finish just putting Yoder on skates in rd2 was fun to watch; Yoda has never been finished incidentally, not by Souza, not by Dern, not even Darth Vader or Emperor Palpatine finished Yoda... if Jinh can keep that mentality going she'll be sticking around a while yet and I'll even be looking forward to the fights for reasons other than just her being Yu Bae....

I guess the UFC figures that Buys/Paula will be a standup banger

In a way it was: de Paula stood up and Buys banged her.
{<diva}

I was a little curious about something. In round three, the announcers said Yoder's corner wanted her to go for a takedown. It seemed to me that every time she shot, Frey shucked her off, then blasted her with two or three solid lefts. Why continue to attempt what is demonstrably not working? By contrast, after looking like she wanted to be anywhere else, Yoder seemed to say, "fuck it" toward the end of the second and started spamming 1-2's, and probably had her best moment of the fight. If I was in her corner, I would have told her to come out firing in the third until Frey showed the ability to stop it.
Was my assessment off base, or was she given bad advice by her corner?

Frey v. Yoder. Good seeing Jinh using strong body shots. They took the wind out of Yoder when she got close inside the pocket. Frey was effective with her takedown defense, often following up with a left to the head for good measure. Glad Frey will be sticking around.

Buys v. de Paula. That soccer kick to the head was extremely close to being a foul.

Porto v. Joanne. Porto won by split decision in the Bellator fight. Check it out if you get the chance. Very good fight.

Lee v. Wang. In ONE Championship Victoria Lee went straight at Luping Wang. Got her down then worked a series of submissions to score the round one victory.

Dinh v. Nguyen. Over in Lion Fight (muay thai) Sonia Dinh got the decision over self-described Crasian Andy Nguyen. Check out Andy's photo on tapology. https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/34496-andy-nguyen

I was a little curious about something. In round three, the announcers said Yoder's corner wanted her to go for a takedown. It seemed to me that every time she shot, Frey shucked her off, then blasted her with two or three solid lefts. Why continue to attempt what is demonstrably not working? By contrast, after looking like she wanted to be anywhere else, Yoder seemed to say, "fuck it" toward the end of the second and started spamming 1-2's, and probably had her best moment of the fight. If I was in her corner, I would have told her to come out firing in the third until Frey showed the ability to stop it.
Was my assessment off base, or was she given bad advice by her corner?

I noticed that too and thought the same during the fight GB. Yoder was taking punishment to the stomach and head. At times like those you describe looked like she didn't want to be there any more. Figured her coaches felt if she could score a takedown she could get top control & maybe some points. Frey was having none of it and made her pay every time she tried.

I noticed that too and thought the same during the fight GB. Yoder was taking punishment to the stomach and head. At times like those you describe looked like she didn't want to be there any more. Figured her coaches felt if she could score a takedown she could get top control & maybe some points. Frey was having none of it and made her pay every time she tried.

Well, when you are 0 for all take down attempts I do not think I would have had my fighter trying for one, particularly not against the stronger JYF who also has cardio for days (multiple 5rd. fight experience for example). If Yoder either stepped back and used her reach or timed her forward movement better it would have been hell for Frey to get inside and do damage. She has no idea how to use her length.

Jessamyn Duke had the same issue. She used to fight long then started training under the One True God of Striking in Glendale and forgot how to do it and got the shit beat out of her consistently.

Well, when you are 0 for all take down attempts I do not think I would have had my fighter trying for one, particularly not against the stronger JYF who also has cardio for days (multiple 5rd. fight experience for example). If Yoder either stepped back and used her reach or timed her forward movement better it would have been hell for Frey to get inside and do damage. She has no idea how to use her length.

Jessamyn Duke had the same issue. She used to fight long then started training under the One True God of Striking in Glendale and forgot how to do it and got the shit beat out of her consistently.

Yeah same here. I agree with you & GB. Couldn't understand why Ashley's coaches kept telling her to go for a takedown. Especially in round 3. She was getting clobbered whenever she tried. I believe she went 0-8 in takedown attempts, maybe even 0-9. Agree she wasn't using her length well either, even during the striking. Though she had the length disadvantage, Frey would usually stay out of reach and then come in close, mixing up shots to both head and body, then get back out of range.

Those rankings suck.

j/k

<Lmaoo>
I would remove Andrade from strawweight (she’s a flyweight now, no dual rankings), and probably take MacFarlane from flyweight, while moving the rest of the Bellator ladies to the bottom. I would also remove Ladd from bantamweight due to inactivity, as mentioned in the rules at the top. The rest I see no problem with, hardly enough to call them “shit” as someone else did in the past :rolleyes:

Back