Raquel Pennington Wants a Couple Title Defenses, ‘Then That’s a Wrap for Me’

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
53c49148f558c3d37dc2d7f7516f0992

The finish line could be in sight for 18-time UFC veteran Raquel Pennington.

But first, she has a couple more goals to accomplish.

Pennington captured the vacant women’s bantamweight title with a clear-cut unanimous decision victory over Mayra Bueno Silva in the UFC 297 co-main at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto on Saturday night. Shortly after that victory, she set her sights on a matchup with Julianna Pena, who was unable to compete for the vacant belt on Saturday due to injury.

For Pennington, a showdown with Pena carries a little extra meaning.

“That’s the fight that makes sense. I honestly thought that, for the world title, it would be me and Julianna, but she’s still injured,” Pennington said at Saturday’s post-fight press conference.

“That relationship goes back to 2013 when we were both on ‘The Ultimate Fighter.’ Let’s just say I learned Julianna’s personality then. It’s kind of one of those ones where you’re your own person, and you stay your way, I’ll stay mine, but you get under my skin. I’ve been waiting for that fight for 13 years, whether the title is on the line or not.”

Regardless of what the future holds, it appears that Pennington doesn’t plan on overstaying her welcome in the sport. “Rocky” has won six straight fights, and if all goes as planned, she’ll add a couple more to that streak. However, don’t expect her career to extend much beyond that.

Honestly, if she beats Pena and then either Holm and/or GDR (the other lingering stalwarts of her division), that's a hell of a "In the absence of Nunes" consolation prize. She's already beaten Vieira, Aldana, and now Silva. That would be basically the only top 5 there's been in the past 8 years and it's not like there's many others on the comeup. Everyone of note that hasn't been champion is already under her belt, so 2 or 3 former champs would be nice to ride off into the sunset on

Last edited:
GdR & Dumont are fighting April 6th, could see the winner getting next after Pena. I think Pennington beats Pena but loses to GdR again. Idk about Norma

I always liked Rocky. She is one of those gritty fighters who has some skill everywhere but whose greatest asset is her mental toughness, durability, and conditioning. Yes, there were missteps yesterday but I didn’t think she’d beat a younger, more athletic Silva and she did, decisively, so I was happy for her.

Her vs. Pena is interesting. Pena is more offensively potent but I think she’s also more vulnerable, too. Could be a good matchup. If Pennington wins that one, I’m not even sure who would be next.

Make your money and get out before you have to much long term damage, great plan.

Love that people are complaining about this but McMidget fights once a leap year and he is a genius.

Back