Ronin Brand Samurai Gi First Impressions

These shots are nice. I totally missed out on this gi. I went their early this morning to pick up an A2 and their gone. Fighters market is also sold out. Not even A1L. Kinjisan had about 6-8 left and i tried on a size a2L. Too long in the sleeves and skirt. Doug said it won't shrink enough. I knew I should of put a deposit or pre-ordered this. I tried on the A2 sample they had their for months and I really liked the fit and lightness.

I have a A2 Insignia & Fighter model. This samurai fits the same to me.

I'm hoping I don't have a shrinking issue in the pants. That's my only concern. Otherwise, this gi fits very well and it is definitely well made.

I would have loved it if the Ronin on front was easy to remove. Something about being a white guy in a Gi that says Ronin just seems like I should be living in my mom's basement with samurai swords on display. They look fantastic otherwise and I love the Japanese styling, but I'm far from being a samurai or trying to imply that I am one (but don't take me too seriously I also think most black gis are for adults that secretly want to play ninja)...

Also, aren't Ronin master-less samurai? So wouldn't this be people that have no club or master? People bad at BJJ discipline perhaps? Socially adrift and BJJ don't seem to go together :D

I would have loved it if the Ronin on front was easy to remove. Something about being a white guy in a Gi that says Ronin just seems like I should be living in my mom's basement with samurai swords on display. They look fantastic otherwise and I love the Japanese styling, but I'm far from being a samurai or trying to imply that I am one (but don't take me too seriously I also think most black gis are for adults that secretly want to play ninja)...

Also, aren't Ronin master-less samurai? So wouldn't this be people that have no club or master? People bad at BJJ discipline perhaps? Socially adrift and BJJ don't seem to go together :D

Well that's one way to over think this lol.

Two guys above have the Gi on order methinks :p

Joking.

It was intended mostly as a joke post. Was pointing out the Ronin association as a talking point as on one hand it seems to fit, but on other isn't quite right ya know?

All the rest of it looks sharp as hell...just too bad the font on front just looks like a hack and slash PS3 game to me, so I'm steering clear. But will be keeping an eye on the company in the future.

Towards the end it implies that Ronin Samurais were not good. Perhaps if you read about the history of the Samurai, they become Ronins due to the fact that their Masters/Clubs are wiped out in combat and they remain loyal to the Teachers & clan they are from. Which means they really don't go jumping around to other Samurai clans hoping to make them better warriors.

Yes i will agree that this is very Unlike BJJ discipline. BJJ is not considered a discipline, but more more of a sport dealing with teams and groups. Athletes hope around to whatever team gives the best incentives, just like baseball, basketball, etcc. but of course on a MUCH smaller scale.

When I was wearing a Gameness Platinum gi (for like 2 weeks), I thought in no way I was an Loyal dog owner. Neither was I trying to be one. As we know this def doesnt not go together with Bjj. I perhaps liked the gi back then. This implies that I would not want to purchase this Ronin model to think or feel that im a real Ronin. In essence it would be the same way I liked to wear the Gameness gi or Kingz gi.

Absolutely agree. What rules by the way?

Rules that were introduced when the review section was opened, 1) all review related threads are to be posted in the review section. 2) not enforced at all now, but reviews were to be posted in the main thread, linking off site was not allowed.

Rules that were introduced when the review section was opened, 1) all review related threads are to be posted in the review section. 2) not enforced at all now, but reviews were to be posted in the main thread, linking off site was not allowed.

Can you post a link to these rules? Also, since this isn't a review, can you post the rules regarding sneak peek and first impression threads? Thanks.

I'm actually really concerned because this isn't an actual review. All you did was post a few pictures and write two paragraphs.

I would also like to read these rules. You denote when the review section was creat. You were here for that?

Especially since I've been on the board since May of 2006 and I was unaware =o)

~BJJ Prof

I would also like to read these rules. You denote when the review section was creat. You were here for that?

~BJJ Prof

I figured reviews were for the review section and everything else gear related was for the gear section. Damn semantics! Come on Chris! Were waiting on you to post the rules clearing up this mess!

Can you post a link to these rules? Also, since this isn't a review, can you post the rules regarding sneak peek and first impression threads? Thanks.

I am not sure if Fozzy ever made a sticky, but your thread was moved for a reason, you should contact a mod for further details.

Sorry, busy in school.

~BJJ Prof

I believe they created the review section in 2005, it was a while ago so I forget. I had another account back then but forgot my login details after not using it for a while, and no longer had access to that email account, so I created this account.

3plwp7.jpg

EDIT: Make that 17

Back