Ronin Brand Samurai Gi First Impressions

Ballistics, you're a heavier guy, right? Can you compare the cut of this A2 to other brands, like Koral? I don't fit into the slim cut gis too well. They're often too tight in the armpits.

The gi looks good! Does anyone know how these compare to the Insignia gi? I got an A2 that fit me perfectly before washing, but I was sure not fit after even minimal shrinking.

I have a modified A3 insignia with A2 pants and an A2 Ronin. The Samurai is made from a lighter pearl weave. The pants on the Samurai are cut smaller than the pants from the insignia. I don't have measurements or details yet. I will tonight though.

Lol, what was that about a pissing contest?

And in Ontario it is pretty clear cut... No limit posted, the limit is 50km/h. So there aren't too many (if any) grey areas.

Well I can only speak for the US. So to answer your question, no I don't have a driver's license in Canada.

Also, my post was to explain where my knowledge of traffic law comes from. Not to make me sound like I'm better than you.

So about the topic at hand?

Ballistics, you're a heavier guy, right? Can you compare the cut of this A2 to other brands, like Koral? I don't fit into the slim cut gis too well. They're often too tight in the armpits.

Yep. The A2 Koral is the largest A2 that I own. This compares more to the Predator, maybe slightly bigger in the jacket, but slightly smaller in the waste of the pants.

THanks a lot, and congrats on the promotion, btw. Took me about 4 years to get mine, because of switching associations.

Any chance of some informal shots over another Gi so we can see size comparisons? I love my Ronin A2.

Any chance of some informal shots over another Gi so we can see size comparisons? I love my Ronin A2.

As a matter of fact, I plan on directly comparing the Samurai to the Predator in my review. However, if you wish I can supply some comparison shots of your choosing. What would you like to see?

Ive had this gi for 2.5-3 weeks and rolled in it 3 times. It shrunk up about 1.5" and my wife washes these in hot water machine dry. I have the other Ronins - Fighter & Insignia. The weight to me feels the same however the samurai collar is much more firm like to atama mundial #7.

So far i have no regrets buying this gi. The embroidery artwork on the chest and jacket tail is the best embroidery i seen so far on a gi. I also like the soft duck canvas pants. Reminds me of my heavyweight karate pants (back when I took karate). The fit/cut to me is very close to the other Ronins. This may be a little larger in the body but im not complaining.

The fit may be closer to my Black Eagle Predator gi. However the samurai has a much better lapel.

Lol, what was that about a pissing contest?

Edit: Also, since you were on a Navel base it is technically private property, and they can enforce different speed limits on their roads, which could lead to problems.

And in Ontario it is pretty clear cut... No limit posted, the limit is 50km/h. So there aren't too many (if any) grey areas.

26 :eek:

After going back and forth with the Predator, Insignia, and the Samurai I have drawn a couple conclusions. Keep in mind, the Samurai has yet to be washed, and the Insignia jacket is an A3 not an A2 but the pants are an A2.

The Insignia and Predator pants are cut larger in the butt and thighs. The Predator being the larger of the 2. The Samurai pants are cut much narrower, and I have my fingers crossed that the pants do not shrink in the thighs much, if at all.
The Predator pants are easily my favorite ripstop pants, and the Insignia pants are my favorite pants overall. The Samurai pants are made of duck canvas, similar to scrubs. Very rigid and high quality. All have 6 belt loops. The Predator and Insignia both have the flat drawstrings, which I prefer, but the Samurai has the rope draw string. I didn't like them until the Mojo SuperLite, and these tie nice, staying tied is the important part. See how that turns out.

The jacket of the Predator, still keeping in mind that it's been washed a dozen times, is cut much narrower than the Samurai. The Samurai jacket fits me very well and closes very nice with a little room to spare in the arm pits, while the Predator jacket fits like a tailored suit almost. The Predator jacket has never been dried.

The material of the Samurai jacket is the lightest, followed by the predator, making the insignia the heaviest material. The Samurai is very soft, but the insignia is softer but it's a broken in feeling. The predator isn't very soft at all. The collars of all three gis are so different, but I really like them all. The Samurai collar is super stiff. It's actually stiffer than my Naja gi which is saying something, but the cut does not force the collar into my neck which is why I didn't enjoy the Naja too much. The Predator is not as stiff, but it's still stiff. The insignia is easy to manipulate, and a bit squishy. I can't really recall if it was like this from the beginning, but I doubt it was this squishy.

I've worn the Insignia the most out of any gi that I own. I've worn it as much as 3 times a week since I've had it and it's been through hell and back. The insignia just might be my favorite gi that I own. It fits me really well, is the most comfortable to train in, and is one of the cheaper gis on the market. The Predator fits me the best very well too. I want to use the term the best, but I feel like this and the insignia fit me the best, but different. I can't comment on the Samurai fit until it's washed.

The Samurai has gigantic shoes to fill. I will definitely say that it is constructed better than the insignia and the predator. The craftsmanship is stellar. It's also better than my Koral Classic, which I love. The only thing that concerns me is the cut of the pants. Quality wise though, this thing is top notch.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
BigCP did you snitch to the mods about this thread not being in the right subforum?

After going back and forth with the Predator, Insignia, and the Samurai I have drawn a couple conclusions. Keep in mind, the Samurai has yet to be washed, and the Insignia jacket is an A3 not an A2 but the pants are an A2.

The Insignia and Predator pants are cut larger in the butt and thighs. The Predator being the larger of the 2. The Samurai pants are cut much narrower, and I have my fingers crossed that the pants do not shrink in the thighs much, if at all.
The Predator pants are easily my favorite ripstop pants, and the Insignia pants are my favorite pants overall. The Samurai pants are made of duck canvas, similar to scrubs. Very rigid and high quality. All have 6 belt loops. The Predator and Insignia both have the flat drawstrings, which I prefer, but the Samurai has the rope draw string. I didn't like them until the Mojo SuperLite, and these tie nice, staying tied is the important part. See how that turns out.

The jacket of the Predator, still keeping in mind that it's been washed a dozen times, is cut much narrower than the Samurai. The Samurai jacket fits me very well and closes very nice with a little room to spare in the arm pits, while the Predator jacket fits like a tailored suit almost. The Predator jacket has never been dried.

The material of the Samurai jacket is the lightest, followed by the predator, making the insignia the heaviest material. The Samurai is very soft, but the insignia is softer but it's a broken in feeling. The predator isn't very soft at all. The collars of all three gis are so different, but I really like them all. The Samurai collar is super stiff. It's actually stiffer than my Naja gi which is saying something, but the cut does not force the collar into my neck which is why I didn't enjoy the Naja too much. The Predator is not as stiff, but it's still stiff. The insignia is easy to manipulate, and a bit squishy. I can't really recall if it was like this from the beginning, but I doubt it was this squishy.

I've worn the Insignia the most out of any gi that I own. I've worn it as much as 3 times a week since I've had it and it's been through hell and back. The insignia just might be my favorite gi that I own. It fits me really well, is the most comfortable to train in, and is one of the cheaper gis on the market. The Predator fits me the best very well too. I want to use the term the best, but I feel like this and the insignia fit me the best, but different. I can't comment on the Samurai fit until it's washed.

The Samurai has gigantic shoes to fill. I will definitely say that it is constructed better than the insignia and the predator. The craftsmanship is stellar. It's also better than my Koral Classic, which I love. The only thing that concerns me is the cut of the pants. Quality wise though, this thing is top notch.

Hope this helps.

Lots of excellent points here. I haven't worn my insignia or my predator is quite a while actually. I wish I got to train more (and I will, starting next week, yay summers off!), but with reviewing so many gis, you don't always get to wear the old ones as much as you'd like.

Lots of excellent points here. I haven't worn my insignia or my predator is quite a while actually. I wish I got to train more (and I will, starting next week, yay summers off!), but with reviewing so many gis, you don't always get to wear the old ones as much as you'd like.

Really? Help a brotha out and sell me the ones you don't wear. :icon_chee

Back