News Sandehagen “accepts” loss

Sandhagen was the better fighter but coasted in that fight. The veteran TJ wanted it more. It’s as simple as that
I agree with this, Tj used his championship experience to win the fights on the score cards, something that sandhagen cant be privy to yet

IMO Sand won that. But still, he showed some holes. He needs better tdd other than just spamming Granby rolls. Also needs to learn not to try to be so cute and flashy all the time. Mixing something in to be unpredictable is fine, but he needs to mix up the fundamentals. How many times will you spin and give up your back before you realize it's not a smart move. He gave up minutes of control that way which allowed a hurt TJ to recover, and it also didn't look good to the judges (even though imo TJ didn't do anything with it and it shouldn't have scored too highly).

Hopefully he doesn't turn into Tony Ferguson or Pettis where they just accept that they can't wrestle, never learn it and insist on spamming flashy shit.

Last edited:
I thought TJ won, but it was close enough had Sandhagen won I wouldn't have been shocked either. The thing for me was that Sandhagen seemed to coast in some rounds. TJ was pressing the action. Other than the cut and looking worse for wear, TJ didn't look like he was seriously in danger at any point either.

I think it was a fairly even fight and in that case, I gotta give the nod to the aggressor.

It always makes me laugh when the fighter can accept the loss but the fans can't.
Yeah, if you're mad about that loss you're fanboy for sure. I can see where you might think he won but it was so close it's by no means a robbery. If he wasn't backing up the whole fight and taking rounds off he probably wins.

I thought he won handedly. Some of these 4-1 TJ scorecards I've seen from people have me floored.

Dillashaw got his ass kicked.

Not rocked once in a 25 minute fight against a striker, 2 significant hard shots with 1 unfortunate cut. Tj also jacked up his leg early you could tell, so...

Sandhagen's big error was somehow being under the impression that turning his back when Dillashaw shot in and grabbed a hold of him constituted a neutral position.

He thought that preventing a takedown meant he had prevented Dillashaw from scoring points. However, Dillashaw was still controlling him in that position. The big problem about it for Sandhagen was he couldn't strike Dillashaw from that position, but Dillashaw could strike him, which he did with knees. Therefore, it is not a neutral position.

It is really strange that Sandhagen didn't pick up on that after the first or second time. Instead, he mindlessly kept turning his back and allowing it happen round after round.

this is exactly why he lost the fight. people keep telling me that because TJ didn't do anything with it means it was nothing, but they don't understand how the scoring works. he's being controlled, and that factors into the scoring. i wanted Sandhagen to knock TJ out but he fucked up by being complacent with doing exactly what you said.

this is exactly why he lost the fight. people keep telling me that because TJ didn't do anything with it means it was nothing, but they don't understand how the scoring works. he's being controlled, and that factors into the scoring. i wanted Sandhagen to knock TJ out but he fucked up by being complacent with doing exactly what you said.
Also, TJ always walking forward and Sandhagen mostly backing up doesn't help his case. If he was striking as effectively as Sandhagen stans think, TJ wouldn't have continued moving forward.

It always makes me laugh when the fighter can accept the loss but the fans can't.

Hahaha. Yeah.

I'd say a fighter has to accept a loss, even if undeserved, because they have to improve going forward. Fans have no such need and thus can afford to focus on what they think are bad decisions. I scored it for Sandhagen, but it seemed to me to be a very close fight and not any sort of robbery. Not surprised it was a split decision.

Also, TJ always walking forward and Sandhagen mostly backing up doesn't help his case. If he was striking as effectively as Sandhagen stans think, TJ wouldn't have continued moving forward.

yeah, Sandhagen only really beat him up in the 2nd rd. all the other rds he was landing shots but so was TJ.

I thought he won handedly. Some of these 4-1 TJ scorecards I've seen from people have me floored.

Dillashaw got his ass kicked.

How did you score it? What rounds for which guy?

MMA corners are the worst in combat sports. If predicting or assuming the judges thoughts are part of the game plan they should be sacked.

Keeping someone where they dont want to be is very important. Especially since the stand up was fairly competitive in rounds 1 3 4 5 and Sandhagen gives up his back constantly. Where TJ had Sandhagen most of the fight was where you train not to be.

I just watched the first 3 rounds again to see if my opinion has changed since ppl seem to be up in arms and it was clear 1 and 3 for TJ and the striking in those rounds was close.
tj def won 1 and 3 (and lost 2)
first three rounds were clear, imo

How is he a 135er?

They must've called him twig in school.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/7/...n-accepts-loss-tj-dillashaw-hurt-him-mma-news

Cliffs:
- still thinks he did enough to win, had him hurt, was never hurt, etc

- says he won’t whine about the scorecards

- seems to have learned that he can’t coast in round 5 like that again. Thought he was up and did enough to win.

- will use the experience to get better

if he truly uses this to get better than honestly it may be a blessing in disguise. I also think he handled it about 80% as well as he could because he clearly still thinks he won (which is understandable) and he won’t let that go. But he will take a new approach in close fights. He’s young so good on him. I think this will only be a good thing in the long run for his career
Yeah Sandhagan's stock didn't really drop. It was such a close fight.
I wonder how Sherdog and other media scored the fight.

I don’t feel you should win a fight holding someone against the cage

Not rocked once in a 25 minute fight against a striker, 2 significant hard shots with 1 unfortunate cut. Tj also jacked up his leg early you could tell, so...
It seems you dont understand how rounds are scored. you could NEVER score 4 rounds for sandhagen.

For me, one of those fights without a loser. I know he won't get the N1C, but hopefully he doesn't get booked as if he lost.

Back