PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I was just calling you out when you were griefing another poster who said they couldn’t find it like a month.
yet another thing that didn't happen.

Did you already forget how I started today off saying it’s now finally in stock in my area?
you didn't actually say this. you said "But hey, they are actually in stock this week! So if you carry on forever, eventually you will be right. I plan to pull a Rob and going into the PS5 thread as soon as the shortage ends and start quoting and making fun of everyone who couldn't find one"

So check it out, since you seem to want me to stop beating me up maybe don’t @ me about it in multiple threads.

what the fuck are you talking about? you're the one who keeps necroing this failure of an argument. you're right about you beating yourself up, though. derp.

...what multiple threads?

lolz @ you STILL having zero evidence, btw.

lolz @ just accusing me of lying when you didn't even know what the topic was

PC was delivered yesterday. I was not able to activate windows. It said key was invalid. Kind of annoying. It seems like from looking on Reddit that a lot of people have this issue due to the product key injection not being done correctly. I guess I will have to try to get in touch with customer support when I have time.

Mine still has all 25+ 5600Xs in stock. That's weird.
5600x has literally been available at MSRP (and below) for weeks in Europe. I think the supply has really increased, you can even find 5950x (on occassion).

5600x has literally been available at MSRP (and below) for weeks in Europe. I think the supply has really increased, you can even find 5950x (on occassion).
I'm in the metro Atlanta area right now, we actually have two Microcenters within 30 minutes (which is weird considering the entire state of California only has one). They'd get 25-30 5600Xs in stock every 2-3 weeks and they would all be gone within 2-3 days. But 25+ are still there over a week later. Hopefully supply has indeed increased because some of them are selling for only $15 or $20 above MSRP on Ebay now.

Mine still has all 25+ 5600Xs in stock. That's weird.

huh? mine too, i led with "my mc has piles of 5600x ($299)" - it was the GPU part that was significant. they have them... but the prices are... well, i guess normal now.

Since my 3070 showed up yesterday, looks like I'm building a new computer.

5600x's appear out of stock everywhere (no MC's in AZ), so I think I'm just going to get an I7 10700K.

Anyone have good suggestions for a mobo/memory? Hitting a bit of a brick wall with poor reviews or questionable memory support. I'm wanting either 2x16gb (preferable) or 4x8gb, don't care about RGB.

Since my 3070 showed up yesterday, looks like I'm building a new computer.

5600x's appear out of stock everywhere (no MC's in AZ), so I think I'm just going to get an I7 10700K.

Anyone have good suggestions for a mobo/memory? Hitting a bit of a brick wall with poor reviews or questionable memory support. I'm wanting either 2x16gb (preferable) or 4x8gb, don't care about RGB.

What's your budget for both?

Do you need a mATX mobo or can you use a full size mobo?
What features do you want for your motherboard? Do you want high end audio? Do you need a bunch of USB ports (6+)? Do you want to overclock your cpu to the bleeding edge or do you want stable? Do you need Thunderbolt? Do you want wifi/bluetooth built in? Do you need more than 4 sata ports?

What's your budget for both?

Do you need a mATX mobo or can you use a full size mobo?
What features do you want for your motherboard? Do you want high end audio? Do you need a bunch of USB ports (6+)? Do you want to overclock your cpu to the bleeding edge or do you want stable? Do you need Thunderbolt? Do you want wifi/bluetooth built in? Do you need more than 4 sata ports?

$500-600 (total)

- Full size ATX board

- 1-2 m.2 slots (Pretty standard)

- 4 Sata is sufficient

- standard 5.1/7.1 onboard audio is fine (wasnt even aware that "high end audio" was a general option on motherboards, although I've never really noticed any difference in the boards I've purchased, its all worked well enough... but I've never bought crap boards /shrug)

- Don't care about Thunderbolt

- Stable OC (considering doing my first Water cooling build, Ive always used premium Air coolers)

-I have a PCI-E USB 3.1 card if it was necessary, but the standard 4-6 (plus 2 on the case) should be sufficient

- Wifi and Bluetooth are nice but not super important.

$500-600 (total)

- Full size ATX board

- 4 Sata is sufficient

- standard 5.1/7.1 onboard audio is fine (wasnt even aware that "high end audio" was a general option on motherboards, although I've never really noticed any difference in the boards I've purchased, its all worked well enough... but I've never bought crap boards /shrug)

- Stable OC (considering doing my first Water cooling build, Ive always used premium Air coolers)

-I have a PCI-E USB 3.1 card if it was necessary, but the standard 4-6 (plus 2 on the case) should be sufficient

FYI, the stock turbos on Intel's 10th gen are so aggressive that numerous cheaper Z490 motherboards (particularly ASRock among the major manufacturers) are failing to maintain them in stress testing even with high-end cooling. Consequently, if you want to achieve an OC that practically outperforms the 10700K at stock sufficiently equipped not to throttle, then the motherboard will probably demand $250+. It's a very short list of boards that are conducive to these ambitions, anymore.
  • ASRock (none)
  • Asus (Strix E, Hero, Apex, Formula, Maximus)
  • Gigabyte (Master, Xtreme)
  • MSI (Unify, Ace, Godlike)

Frankly, dynamic overclocking-- like ARMs big.LITTLE architecture initiated a decade ago-- just makes more sense. Static symmetrical clocks across every core are so inefficient.

The best bang-for-your-buck as far as VRM among Z490 motherboards is the Gigabyte Aorus Elite AC, but you'd have to research it more yourself to verify if guys are achieving 5.1GHz stable overclocks on that with AIOs because that's what you're going to require to meaningfully make overclocking worth the effort for gaming, and even then, you'll only squeeze out a few percent more fps. And that raises another issue. Silicon Lottery's binning statistics reports that only 22% of 10700K processors can achieve stable 5.1GHz overclocks across all cores (matching the peak sustained single core turbo at stock). Good luck winning the lottery.
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

$500-600 (total)

- Full size ATX board

- 4 Sata is sufficient

Newer motherboards are starting to add better audio with things like headphone amps built in.
If you're looking at switching to an AIO cooler, the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 is one of the best there is and it's reasonably priced at $125. Only downside, to some people, is no RGB. If you want RGB, EK's 360mm AIO at $160 is the next best AIO performer.

Timestamped for performance charts.

I've just crawled all over the house to find every USB to USB C cord I can find. I keep plugging in my phone to transfer some pictures and file explorer craps out like a dying hard drive. My Sabertooth Z77 mobo says its USB 3.0 but it sucks for some reason. I'll keep digging until I find a damn OEM phone data cable.

While googling the board specs I realized my PC core is coming up on its 8th birthday. Happy Birthday Fapbox

So my hookup (dude that got me that super secret link to reserve my PS5 on Amazon before the public had a crack at reserving them) was able to get me (final price - taxes and shipping included):

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card - Titanium and Black - $1,700
GeForce RTX 3090 AORUS MASTER 24G GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 - $2,100

I more or less scored both of these cards at retail. One will goto my buddy who's building a racing rig and the other one will be for my new comp.. Happy days! :)

So my hookup (dude that got me that super secret link to reserve my PS5 on Amazon before the public had a crack at reserving them) was able to get me (final price - taxes and shipping included):

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card - Titanium and Black - $1,700
GeForce RTX 3090 AORUS MASTER 24G GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 - $2,100

I more or less scored both of these cards at retail. One will goto my buddy who's building a racing rig and the other one will be for my new comp.. Happy days! :)
That's awesome man, gratz.

Does anyone know when the new line of cards comes out? Next gen doesn't have anything noteworthy right now and it seems that aside from a game like REVIII, that trend will continue into at least late this year. Cyberpunk turned out to be a complete blunder, and until CDPR fixes everything in it, which looks like will take even longer due to the hack, there's nothing really jumping at me. And if nothing's jumping at me, I'm looking to the next series of hardware benchmarks

Back