PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Speed they run at is the bare minimum your motherboard supports.

If youre spending $600 on a CPU spend $100 for some at least mid tier ram(3200).
Tbf this is from my old board.

Thanks

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233831?Item=N82E16820233831

These are what I'm running.

Speed:
DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)

CAS Latency:
Tbf this is from my old board.

Thanks
2133MHz CAS13 RAM is actually not that bad thanks to the low latency. You can always futz around to see what the best frequency you can achieve is at 1.35V (even if you have to loosen your timings). Kane's right. The value sweet spot right now is with 3600MHz CAS18 RAM.
https://notkyon.moe/ram-latency.htm
  • 2133MHz CAS13 = 12.19ns
  • 3600MHz CAS18 = 10.00ns (18% faster)
Compare:
  • 2666MHz CAS12 = 9.50ns
  • 4000MHz CAS19 = 9.00ns (7% faster)

Personally, I wouldn't undertake to upgrade unless I was deeply unhappy with the FPS in a particular game that I played a ton, and knew from benchmarks online with similar setups to my own that had faster RAM I could expect to gain significant performance from a RAM increase, or if I was seizing the opportunity to upgrade to 32GB to ensure an excess of RAM for years to come. Either way, don't be in a hurry, wait and watch the sale trackers to score a top RAM deal.

Can someone explain to me how the o11 series from Lian Li don’t become dusty messes with the intake traditionally being in the bottom as everyone does custom loops in them?

Can someone explain to me how the o11 series from Lian Li don’t become dusty messes with the intake traditionally being in the bottom as everyone does custom loops in them?
06-pc-o11-dynamic-1.jpg

Oh I know it has a boat load of dust filters but it still seems so weird to have intake on the bottom. I get exhaust on top as heat also naturally rises
I have the o11 Dynamic and it’s no worse than any other case for dust.

I’m debating the mini for a multimedia PC build with my old processor
They’re all amazing cases. From a review I saw though the mini is not very mini. I would look at it first and make sure it’s small enough for what you want to do

I'm looking to get a control pad for playing games through Steam. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking to get a control pad for playing games through Steam. Anyone have any recommendations?
The PS5's Dualsense is the no-brainer option. It's the only controller with the haptic feedback & adaptive triggers, and those features are already being implemented in PC games.

They’re all amazing cases. From a review I saw though the mini is not very mini. I would look at it first and make sure it’s small enough for what you want to do
Yeah that’s what I saw. Pretty sure my board isn’t a mini board but it’s smaller. I want to make it a multimedia PC for like my folks to use to get to streaming services so they don’t need to rely on Roku. I’m also playing around with maybe doing an AIO.

I can’t do it until I get a new GPU for my gaming rig though.

I’m debating the mini for a multimedia PC build with my old processor
Yeah that’s what I saw. Pretty sure my board isn’t a mini board but it’s smaller. I want to make it a multimedia PC for like my folks to use to get to streaming services so they don’t need to rely on Roku. I’m also playing around with maybe doing an AIO.

Among Micro-ATX cases, for HTPC ambitions, I think the cube/desktop designs make the most sense because they fit so well & stably on the furniture most use for their home theater setups. They also offer the most volume and drive bays which is great for anyone who doesn't have a dedicated NAS setup. The Thermaltake Core V21 has held up for over half a decade. Its depth is its largest dimension, yet it's only 16.7" long, but packs a whopping 45.6L. So it would offer no cramping to accommodate your dual-slot 270mm+ long RX 580 nicely. It comes with a 200m fan pre-installed in the front, and can house up to six total traditional drives (3 x 2.5" + 3 x 2.5"/3.5"). It supports standard PSUs which prevents paying a premium for a small form factor unit. It even supports up to 280mm liquid cooling units if you want to go nuts.
https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/core-v21.html
nnndsc_6950.png

If you're building your parents a simple internet streaming machine for Youtube, Netflix, Prime Video, or other browser based service you don't need very powerful hardware. Anything Skylake and newer will do 4k 60fps playback through Display Port 1.2. If it's just for 1080p you can go a long ways back and use the integrated graphics on Intel cpu's.

Among Micro-ATX cases, for HTPC ambitions, I think the cube/desktop designs make the most sense because they fit so well & stably on the furniture most use for their home theater setups. They also offer the most volume and drive bays which is great for anyone who doesn't have a dedicated NAS setup. The Thermaltake Core V21 has held up for over half a decade. Its depth is its largest dimension, yet it's only 16.7" long, but packs a whopping 45.6L. So it would offer no cramping to accommodate your dual-slot 270mm+ long RX 580 nicely. It comes with a 200m fan pre-installed in the front, and can house up to six total traditional drives (3 x 2.5" + 3 x 2.5"/3.5"). It supports standard PSUs which prevents paying a premium for a small form factor unit. It even supports up to 280mm liquid cooling units if you want to go nuts.
https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/core-v21.html
nnndsc_6950.png

This is the case me and my nephew have. I love it.

If you're building your parents a simple internet streaming machine for Youtube, Netflix, Prime Video, or other browser based service you don't need very powerful hardware. Anything Skylake and newer will do 4k 60fps playback through Display Port 1.2. If it's just for 1080p you can go a long ways back and use the integrated graphics on Intel cpu's.
I’m only planning to do this with the 6900k as the chip and board are still good and I want to try and use them to build something.

I’m only planning to do this with the 6900k as the chip and board are still good and I want to try and use them to build something.

Have you looked into Unraid? You can turn those parts into a NAS, PiHole, torrent box, a dedicated game server for games like Minecraft or Rust, etc.

Have you looked into Unraid? You can turn those parts into a NAS, PiHole, torrent box, a dedicated game server for games like Minecraft or Rust, etc.
Don't know what Unraid is. Is it just an OS?

So the new rig seems to be working fantastic. I tested Cyberpunk last night, everything maxed, including Psycho Ray Tracing, DLSS quality and... it seems to hang around 90 fps. I'm very happy.

For the thermal experts during gameplay my CPU never got to 70. However--- moving through the menu itself, it would spike, one time it went above 75 for a brief moment.

My interpretation is that I should be okay because I'm not running at a consistent 75+. If anyone disagrees please discuss with me.

Also if anyone is shopping for GPU's and wants a higher end 3080 Ti, StockX has the Gigabyte Aorus Master for $1800.00.

You generally pay $50.00 shipping for StockX. Retail for Aorus Master is $1649.99, and 7% tax will be $115.50 for a total of $1765.49. If you buy this "scalped" product it is in fact more expensive, but by less than $100.00.
https://stockx.com/nvidia-gigabyte-...master-12g-graphics-card-gv-n308taorus-m-12gd

So the new rig seems to be working fantastic. I tested Cyberpunk last night, everything maxed, including Psycho Ray Tracing, DLSS quality and... it seems to hang around 90 fps. I'm very happy.

For the thermal experts during gameplay my CPU never got to 70. However--- moving through the menu itself, it would spike, one time it went above 75 for a brief moment.

My interpretation is that I should be okay because I'm not running at a consistent 75+. If anyone disagrees please discuss with me.

Also if anyone is shopping for GPU's and wants a higher end 3080 Ti, StockX has the Gigabyte Aorus Master for $1800.00.

You generally pay $50.00 shipping for StockX. Retail for Aorus Master is $1649.99, and 7% tax will be $115.50 for a total of $1765.49. If you buy this "scalped" product it is in fact more expensive, but by less than $100.00.
https://stockx.com/nvidia-gigabyte-...master-12g-graphics-card-gv-n308taorus-m-12gd
This is fine and I would not worry about it, there are cases where FPS can max out in the menu or splash screen for a few seconds/moments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back