The 2021 Heavies Awards: Knockout of The Year - WINNER: JIRI VS. REYES

What is Your Choice for Knockout of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wrong.

Sherdog's record ain't official. Poirier won by TKO. Here's the ending to refresh your memory.

Not in the official record books. It was ruled a TKO

Instead of posting the ending, you've posted Dustin's interview.

Here is the ending.

conor-dustin-2.gif

Another dimension, another dimension, another dimension, another dimension...

Nah his eyes were open and his hand was still touching his head. That was a TKO, a KO is out cold. I believe my eyes, and what I saw was a TKO, was McGregor done with the fight? Of course, both TKO and KO means the fight is over. But KO means you are out cold, and TKO means you are still conscious but can no longer defend yourself.
No, it doesn't.

A KO means you are unable to defend yourself because of a strike. Plenty of KOs have the victim clinging to consciousness.

A TKO is when the you are still defending yourself but the referee doesn't think you are doing a good enough job.

KOs are almost never actually knocked completely unconscious. It means knocked out of the fight.

https://fansided.com/2020/03/22/a-casuals-guide-to-mma-whats-the-difference-between-a-ko-and-a-tko/

KO : Any strike or combination of strikes that renders your opponent unable to continue.

COMPLETE BS, look at all of Derrick Lewis's TKO. All of them by way of strikes rendering the opponent on the ground, getting beat on. If the opponent has their hands up defending their head as they eat punches, it's always a TKO.

If a strike of a combination of strike causes the opponent unable to continue, 90% of all TKOs in the UFC would be ruled as KOs.

Look at Cejudo's last three fights,

Cejudo vs. Cruz TKO
Cejudo vs. Marlon TKO
Cejudo vs. TJ TKO

All came via a strike and a combination of strikes while the opponent is down. None of them are KOs.

COMPLETE BS, look at all of Derrick Lewis's TKO. All of them by way of strikes rendering the opponent on the ground, getting beat on. If the opponent has their hands up defending their head as they eat punches, it's always a TKO.

If a strike of a combination of strike causes the opponent unable to continue, 90% of all TKOs in the UFC would be ruled as KOs.

Look at Cejudo's last three fights,

Cejudo vs. Cruz TKO
Cejudo vs. Marlon TKO
Cejudo vs. TJ TKO

All came via a strike and a combination of strikes while the opponent is down. None of them are KOs.
Lol. Read the link.

Not my fault you don't know what a KO is.

You think McGregor was defending himself? Use your fucking eyes.

Lol. Read the link.

You think McGregor was defending himself? Use your fucking eyes.

That link is BS, it does not even define what it means to be "rendered unable to continue" and "unable to unintelligently able to defend yourself". Like I said, there's been people put in states way worse than McGregor there, and it was ruled a TKO. You must think 90% of UFC's results are wrong then.

Look at the way Alistair responded to those elbows from Curtis, he was in another universe just as much as McGregor. Guess what? TKO.

What are Conor's hands doing after Dustin lands the right hand on the ground? I've seen noodles less limp than McGregor.

Next, the left hand lands and then Herb steps in.

Proper result: KO
Herb's official result: TKO

Lol. Read the link.

That link is BS, it does not even define what it means to be "rendered unable to continue" and "unable to unintelligently able to defend yourself". Like I said, there's been people put in states way worse than McGregor there, and it was ruled a TKO. You must think 90% of UFC's results are wrong then.

Look at the way Alistair responded to those elbows from Curtis, he was in another universe just as much as McGregor. Guess what? TKO.

I think that a lot of the time there is some grey area.

I also think that McGregor was definitely KOd.

I think that a lot of the time there is some grey area.

I also think that McGregor was definitely KOd.

It's fair to say there's a lot of grey, but it's definitely not "next level delusional" to think McGregor was TKO'ed there.

I would wager that fighters which were put into circumstances similar to McGregor, more often the official result would be ruled a TKO. I rarely see a KO declared which doesn't separate someone from consciousness, I would agree that it's possible to have a KO without the person being 100% out, but in reality, KO's are almost never given unless the fighter is completely out.

Not even close, Reyes was a dead man walking at that point, then Jiri sort of lands a spining elbow on a guy that was about to fall anyway, Masvidal was fresh and put to sleep with a single clean punch, in a championship fight.
Seriously? Did you even watch the fight? Jiri had literally just gotten up after being on the ground with Reyes on top the fight was relatively back and forth and I would value it being a title fight however masvidal doesn't deserve that fight in the first place so it is no different from any other top 15 fighters in my eyes.

This shouldn't be on the list. It was a punch. The most common ko method. The others were spectacular Kos. I can't even name another spinning back elbow ko

There have been quite a few. Just so you have another one, this is one of my favorites from a few years back.

You know that was cool, but jiris was pretty unique, and while that was a spinning elbow, It was COMPLETELY different from jiris and how he executed his, Other elbow and spun the other way, after a combo with an overhead elbow too made it look amazing.

I'd like to think my point stands, one is a somewhat common ko, and the other is a very spectacular and rare ko. and Jiri's was not a title fight but it was a no 1 contenders fight.

You know that was cool, but jiris was pretty unique, and while that was a spinning elbow, It was COMPLETELY different from jiris and how he executed his, Other elbow and spun the other way, after a combo with an overhead elbow too made it look amazing.

I'd like to think my point stands, one is a somewhat common ko, and the other is a very spectacular and rare ko. and Jiri's was not a title fight but it was a no 1 contenders fight.

Oh I'm not saying you can't have your opinion. I just wanted to post another unique KO. Jiri's is a solid KO. In that one he defends the spinning backfist and lands a spinning back elbow. He times it perfectly. Personally, I think it's one of the better spinning back elbow KO's I've seen.

Honorable mentions:
-Rafael Fiziev vs Brad Riddell
EcstaticAccurateAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

-Li Jingliang vs Santiago Ponzinibbio
EnragedFloweryFlea-size_restricted.gif

-Manel Kape vs Ode Osbourne
giphy-downsized-large.gif

-Miles Johns vs Anderson Dos Santos

-Tai Tuivasa vs Greg Hardy
TinyAdolescentGrouper-size_restricted.gif

-Tai Tuivasa vs Sakai
SpeedyTenderAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

-Sean O'Malley vs Almeida
2b51b6380372ffba68067c896307b8905ccaf58d.gifv

-Alexander Hernandez vs Mike Breeden
NastyHelplessDegu-size_restricted.gif

-Ian garry vs Jordan Williams
DeadlySardonicArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif

-Alex Pereira vs Andreas Michailidis
DampDazzlingKoala-size_restricted.gif

-Jim Miller vs Erick Gonzalez
ShadowyTeemingJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif

-Lerone Murphy vs Makwan Amirkhani
CrispComfortableAtlanticbluetang-size_restricted.gif

-Jamahal Hill vs Jimmy Crute
FeistyGivingChihuahua-size_restricted.gif

-Bruno Silva vs Wellington Turman
SatisfiedQuerulousCicada-size_restricted.gif

-Leonardo Santos vs Grant Dawson
wrLb3fC.gif

-Alessio Di Chirico vs Joaquin Buckley
PeskyHilariousErne-size_restricted.gif

-Alessio Di Chirico vs Alhassan
WeakThunderousAcornweevil-size_restricted.gif

-Jeremiah Wells vs Warlley Alves
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

-Ike Villanueva vs Vinicius Moreira
LateAdoredGermanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

-Dan Ige vs Gavin Tucker
UnlinedScientificHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif
Awesome ones

Honorable mentions:
-Rafael Fiziev vs Brad Riddell
EcstaticAccurateAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

-Li Jingliang vs Santiago Ponzinibbio
EnragedFloweryFlea-size_restricted.gif

-Manel Kape vs Ode Osbourne

-Miles Johns vs Anderson Dos Santos

-Tai Tuivasa vs Greg Hardy
TinyAdolescentGrouper-size_restricted.gif

-Tai Tuivasa vs Sakai
SpeedyTenderAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

-Sean O'Malley vs Almeida
2b51b6380372ffba68067c896307b8905ccaf58d.gifv

-Alexander Hernandez vs Mike Breeden
NastyHelplessDegu-size_restricted.gif

-Ian garry vs Jordan Williams
DeadlySardonicArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif

-Alex Pereira vs Andreas Michailidis
DampDazzlingKoala-size_restricted.gif

-Jim Miller vs Erick Gonzalez
ShadowyTeemingJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif

-Lerone Murphy vs Makwan Amirkhani
CrispComfortableAtlanticbluetang-size_restricted.gif

-Jamahal Hill vs Jimmy Crute
FeistyGivingChihuahua-size_restricted.gif

-Bruno Silva vs Wellington Turman
SatisfiedQuerulousCicada-size_restricted.gif

-Leonardo Santos vs Grant Dawson
wrLb3fC.gif

-Alessio Di Chirico vs Joaquin Buckley
PeskyHilariousErne-size_restricted.gif

-Alessio Di Chirico vs Alhassan
WeakThunderousAcornweevil-size_restricted.gif

-Jeremiah Wells vs Warlley Alves
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

-Ike Villanueva vs Vinicius Moreira
LateAdoredGermanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

-Dan Ige vs Gavin Tucker
UnlinedScientificHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif
Wait did Gonzalez fall on his knee? Damb

Tough one this, I went Sandhagen/Edgar but it was close (Lewis/Blaydes, Usman/Jorge and Jiri/Reyes were up there for me)

Back