Economy Trade War is Here - USA vs. China

China owns more of our debt than anyone else...

NOPE. You don't know shit about our debt.

MW-GO672_nation_MG_20180821130954.jpg

China doesn't even own 20% of our debt.

I think people who support this strategy really misunderstand the situation. As far as Trump's goal is clear (and most of it is really unclear and incoherent btw) the goal is to reduce the trade gap between the US and China. He continually speaks in terms like "we're losing money!" which is utterly ridiculous (we are giving them money in exchange for things!). And the idea that it's good to slow China's growth at our own expense (and this is definitely hurting American businesses and the stock market) doesn't make sense to me. And if we're looking to curtail their really bad trade practices (like stealing IP, manipulating currencies, etc.) we should have stuck with and enforced the TPP! You know, the thing Trump abandoned right away!

His tweet telling American businesses to cease operations with China illustrates that he's completely fucking clueless.

You seem to have missed the point of the entire Trade War.

IT'S NOT A FREE MARKET.

China is manipulating their currency, using slave labor, putting excessive obstacles on imports for years, and stealing IP from competitors. Nothing about their practices are "Free Trade". Do you get it yet?

Wow. I'm speechless.

Holy shit

I am just speechless

You seem to have missed the point of the entire Trade War.

IT'S NOT A FREE MARKET.

China is manipulating their currency, using slave labor, putting excessive obstacles on imports for years, and stealing IP from competitors. Nothing about their practices are "Free Trade". Do you get it yet?

America is manipulating their currency, using slave labor, putting excessive obstacles on imports and exports for years, has stolen both technological and agriculture trade secrets since they've existed, and bullied people around the world into unfair trade arrangements with the threat of force.

Do you?

Yes, you clearly hate Trump. But that might be the problem

Hate clouds what one would consider clear judgement. It's why we dont have vigilante justice
I think it's the reverse, since I'm not completely hostile to right wing thinking (some of my favorite follows are Tom Nichols, David Frum, some of Kevin Williamson, etc.). My thinking on politics as well as my ethics lead me to hate Trump, not the other way around. For example, I disagreed with John McCain on everything but thought if we won (and he didn't get us into a war) we'd be totally fine and he would represent the country well. I did not like Romney but still thought he was highly intelligent and respectable.

I don't have a gut, tribal hatred of righties. I just think Trump is a reflection of everything wrong with the party with added corruption and incompetence. And now the entire party is craven.

They still own more of it than anyone else..

You can't read a chart either. Americans own more than anyone by a monster margin.

Of all the International Holders of our Debt, China only has 17% with Japan right behind at 16%, and that is not our total Debt, just a percent of the foreign held debt.

foreign-holders-of-us-debt-2c95.png

You can't read a chart either. Americans own more than anyone by a monster margin.

Of all the International Holders of our Debt, China only has 17% with Japan right behind at 16%, and that is not our total Debt, just a percent of the foreign held debt.

foreign-holders-of-us-debt-2c95.png

I completely understand that...

<Dany07>

And? Doesnt mean they dont have their own to worry about.

I guess you could say that building ghost cities isnt a good ROI.

I'd bet gearing your economy for 40 years for international trade to the point where you're subsidizing deliberate over production of agriculture on the basis that you would rely on international buyers for it then imposing massive tariffs on everything and pissing off your major trade partners all within a few years isn't going to have a good ROI either.

I completely understand that...

<Dany07>

^^^ Jimmies Rustled.

{<jimmies}

We'll see if you actually understand it in time... you likely still think, "China owns more of our debt than anyone else". Anyone that knows anything about our debt in detail would have never made such an ignorant statement. They own less than 6% total.

We'll see... you likely still think, "China owns more of our debt than anyone else". Anyone that knows anything about our debt in detail would have never made such an ignorant statement. They own less than 6% total.

It's still more than anyone else besides us...

I'd bet gearing your economy for 40 years for international trade to the point where you're subsidizing deliberate over production of agriculture on the basis that you would rely on international buyers for it then imposing massive tariffs on everything and pissing off your major trade partners all within a few years isn't going to have a good ROI either.

Agreed, but I wouldn't say that we've geared our economy toward ag considering that it's <1% of GDP.

It is around 10% of exports, but 75% of exports are still manufactured goods.

Agreed, but I wouldn't say that we've geared our economy toward ag considering that it's <1% of GDP.

It is around 10% of exports, but 75% of exports are still manufactured goods.

I didn't mean to imply that agriculture was a major part of our economy only using it as an example of how we've gone all in on international trade.

Pretty surprised Trump hasn't targeted Huwaii again. It seems like the easiest way to really hurt China.

Never mind looks like they have until Nov 19.

LOL, right! And to use billions of tax dollars to compensate for farmers that are hurt, damage the business interests of American companies and continue inflict higher prices on American consumers due to government policy.

It's the stuff free market supporters dream of!

Back