UFN 110 - Lewis vs Hunt - New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want very easy, stress free money i'd highly recommend it
i do want very easy, stress free money...

Homer-simpson-thinking.gif

I replied to your post in the yellow because you touched on a lot of things and I felt like it would be easier to discuss each topic separately

Right, but my point with Stefan Struve is that he was known to have a bad in fact it just depended on who he was fighting &' terrible defense. If you go back people were talking about him being especially chinny. But I know that they h come in spurts. However, Reem was torched multiple times in a row. Not just in the UFC, but also as a MW in PRIDE back in the mid 00s. Then Andréi Arlovski was melted numerous times before turning it around. I'm just saying that people go through bad stretches.

The same is true with Cro-Cop. When he first left the UFC he was knocked out three times in a row and four of six (Roy, Mir, Schaub and JDS) before exiting the organization. He was also dropped like X 3 by Pat Barry. On the wrong side of 30 and hurtling towards 40 with slurred speech CC unretires and has fights in Japan and the UFC thereafter. After all the brain scrambling, he retired at 36 .......

Nope ... of course he didn't lol. So between 2011 and 2017 he wins 8 of 9 and is on a 7 fight win streak. After picking up a wins in Japan that included bodying Satoshi Ishii X 2 he returned to the UFC (2015) and got revenge against Gabriel Gonzaga with a TKO victory.. Thereafter he went on to demolishing King Mo as well as the undefeated Amir Aliakbari inside 3 minutes.

Point being, after 4/6 fights with him getting TKOd, he returns between 39 and 42 years old where he has won 7 straight. This is without shitkicking typical Japanese orgs butchers, bakers, and candlestick maker's for pure entertainment. BTW: in the midst of his MMA run he made a pitstop in his old stomping grounds of kickboxing where he won a K1 tournament.

So, chins getting cracked come and go. While Reem may have tweeted a few things on defense, I assure you that CC did not. This is why we can't write off Hunt so quick. I know Hendo's jawline has shown fissures if not utter crevasses, but every fighter's physiology is different and anatomical structures aren't constructed uniformly. We and we have to take it on a fight my fight basis. Styles make fights and TBB is IMO is great matchup for Hunto to get back on track.

Let's remember that Hunt was blown off of his feet by middleweight Melvin Manhoef in DREAM in 2007 so it's not like he has been able to withstand inhuman blows to the head like a bunker buster proof safe house.

Other fighters known to have lost their stiff beard include Chuck Liddell who was TKOd three times in a row before engaging in a ferocious tete-a-tete with Wandy where he absorbed everything but a tire iron to the back of the skull.

Cesar Mutante is another. He was TKO'd in 3/4 successive appearances totaling a sparse 8:39 before getting back on track. Now, he was able to run off three straight.

My bad, I went really far down the rabbit hole or one just chins there. Let me crawl out of the weeds and get back on topic LOL

I'm not saying that Hunt is a lock here. He could get slep in the first 50 seconds. I just think it's a good stylist match up for him. It's gonna be a kickboxing match with MMA rules I suspect and if so that favors the kickboxer.

I also believe most of it is going to come down to leg and body kicks. Just look at how TBB reacted to one leg kicks from Roy Nelson and especially crushing round roundhouse kicks to the midsection from Travis Browne. In this fight with Travis Browne he nearly was folded up like a lawn-chair before Browne folded himself. Mentally.

Now go back and look at Hunt's fight against Reem and the thudding percussion from his whip fast roundhouse kicks to the body.

That is what I believe is going to put The Black Beast on the mat.

really really far down the rabbit hole or one chins. Let me get out of the weeds and back on topic LOL

Right, but my point with Stefan Struve is that he was known to have a bad in fact it just depended on who he was fighting &' terrible defense. If you go back people were talking about him being especially chinny. But I know that they h come in spurts. However, Reem was torched multiple times in a row. Not just in the UFC, but also as a MW in PRIDE back in the mid 00s. Then Andréi Arlovski was melted numerous times before turning it around. I'm just saying that people go through bad stretches.

The same is true with Cro-Cop. When he first left the UFC he was knocked out three times in a row and four of six (Roy, Mir, Schaub and JDS) before exiting the organization. He was also dropped like X 3 by Pat Barry. On the wrong side of 30 and hurtling towards 40 with slurred speech CC unretires and has fights in Japan and the UFC thereafter. After all the brain scrambling, he retired at 36 .......

Nope ... of course he didn't lol. So between 2011 and 2017 he wins 8 of 9 and is on a 7 fight win streak. After picking up a wins in Japan that included bodying Satoshi Ishii X 2 he returned to the UFC (2015) and got revenge against Gabriel Gonzaga with a TKO victory.. Thereafter he went on to demolishing King Mo as well as the undefeated Amir Aliakbari inside 3 minutes.

Point being, after 4/6 fights with him getting TKOd, he returns between 39 and 42 years old where he has won 7 straight. This is without shitkicking typical Japanese orgs butchers, bakers, and candlestick maker's for pure entertainment. BTW: in the midst of his MMA run he made a pitstop in his old stomping grounds of kickboxing where he won a K1 tournament.

So, chins getting cracked come and go. While Reem may have tweeted a few things on defense, I assure you that CC did not. This is why we can't write off Hunt so quick. I know Hendo's jawline has shown fissures if not utter crevasses, but every fighter's physiology is different and anatomical structures aren't constructed uniformly. We and we have to take it on a fight my fight basis. Styles make fights and TBB is IMO is great matchup for Hunto to get back on track.

Let's remember that Hunt was blown off of his feet by middleweight Melvin Manhoef in DREAM in 2007 so it's not like he has been able to withstand inhuman blows to the head like a bunker buster proof safe house.

Other fighters known to have lost their stiff beard include Chuck Liddell who was TKOd three times in a row before engaging in a ferocious tete-a-tete with Wandy where he absorbed everything but a tire iron to the back of the skull.

Cesar Mutante is another. He was TKO'd in 3/4 successive appearances totaling a sparse 8:39 before getting back on track. Now, he was able to run off three straight.
Chuck was KOed 3 times in a row AFTER the fight with Wandy, not prior

Cro-Cop's level of competition is definitely comes with an asterisk. Saying 'well he hasn't been KO-ed since 2011' is extremely misleading

Mutante seems to be a fighter that supports your notion but I was specifically referring to aging fighters who have been KOed frequently late into their careers. And even then, I'd argue Mutante's grappling has helped him hide his chin

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you implying that chins can 'heal' back? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of scientific consensus about the myth of the chin, so I doubt anyone in this thread can either deny or confirm that. When people generally talk about chins it's just a whole bunch of layman's inference.

What I can say is that every punch that lands is a different scenario. Different velocity/shape/angle/weight, did the fighter see it coming or not, genetics, perhaps things like weight-cutting, etc. Implying Crocop's chin somehow got better again because he started racking up wins after his UFC stint, is circumstantial evidence at best, and that's still kinda stretching it. Might simply be a case of the right punch not landing on him post-UFC.

I also think people tend to overrate the idea of having a 'good or bad' chin, imo it's much more a defensive issue, than a genetic one. Nobody is supposed to take trauma to their brains, anyone will eventually get hurt by a punch. Arlovski got put put out cold by Fedor because he took a calculated risk (which exploded in his face) by running face first into the overhand of a very explosive, very dangerous mofo. Against both Sergei and Rogers he backed up in a straight line with his back against the fence. Those are all much more examples of bad fight IQ, nobody should rely on the perceived strength of their chin against heavy hitters like that.

Same goes for fighters like Pat Barry, makes for super exciting fights though!

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you implying that chins can 'heal' back? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of scientific consensus about the myth of the chin, so I doubt anyone in this thread can either deny or confirm that. When people generally talk about chins it's just a whole bunch of layman's inference.

What I can say is that every punch that lands is a different scenario. Different velocity/shape/angle/weight, did the fighter see it coming or not, genetics, perhaps things like weight-cutting, etc. Implying Crocop's chin somehow got better again because he started racking up wins after his UFC stint, is circumstantial evidence at best, and that's still kinda stretching it. Might simply be a case of the right punch not landing on him post-UFC.

I also think people tend to overrate the idea of having a 'good or bad' chin, imo it's much more a defensive issue, than a genetic one. Nobody is supposed to take trauma to their brains, anyone will eventually get hurt by a punch. Arlovski got put put out cold by Fedor because he took a calculated risk (which exploded in his face) by running face first into the overhand of a very explosive, very dangerous mofo. Against both Sergei and Rogers he backed up in a straight line with his back against the fence. Those are all much more examples of bad fight IQ, nobody should rely on the perceived strength of their chin against heavy hitters like that.

yea it must be a genetical thing...Samoans take punishment better than Koreans or Japanese people.

yea it must be a genetical thing...Samoans take punishment better than Koreans or Japanese people.
Extremely thick set people against smaller and thinner people, sure, not too hard to make a case for that.

Name me 5 Samoan fighters (that have taken big hits) beside Hunt and Sefo though, not much of a pool to draw from. Again, we're going by a lot of inference here. It's like implying that black people are less intelligent because you happen to live nearby a ghetto.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...he-fighters-chin-what-makes-a-fighter-durable

“The nerve cells are almost like long, fine threads in the brain. What is happening is, with a concussion, you are shearing those nerve cells and rupturing those membranes…Referring back to the threshold of the brain for injury, each time the brain is injured, the threshold goes down, making it more susceptible to further damage.”

Quoted from Dr. Alessi, Associate Clinical Professor of Neurology at the University of Connecticut and 2009’s Ringside Physician of the Year.

@MMA Goodfella

My bad, I went really far down the rabbit hole or one just chins there. Let me crawl out of the weeds and get back on topic LOL

I'm not saying that Hunt is a lock here. He could get slep in the first 50 seconds. I just think it's a good stylist match up for him. It's gonna be a kickboxing match with MMA rules I suspect and if so that favors the kickboxer.

I also believe most of it is going to come down to leg and body kicks. Just look at how TBB reacted to one leg kicks from Roy Nelson and especially crushing round roundhouse kicks to the midsection from Travis Browne. In this fight with Travis Browne he nearly was folded up like a lawn-chair before Browne folded himself. Mentally.

Now go back and look at Hunt's fight against Reem and the thudding percussion from his whip fast roundhouse kicks to the body.

That is what I believe is going to put The Black Beast on the mat.

really really far down the rabbit hole or one chins. Let me get out of the weeds and back on topic LOL

There's a chance that beast actually comes in with a strategy and looks to tie hunt up against the cage and put him on his back.

Wouldn't be wise to play the striking game with hunt

The over might be the smartest play here

My quick analysis of each fight after tape study.

Kim vs Gouti
Was not impressed with Gouti at all, doesn't seem to have it all together yet. Only been training MMA for like 5 years. With Kim's granite chin, and improving game, it's a guarantee he's going to land that left hand on Gouti's chin. Gouti's been caught twice in his last 3 fights, both brutal knockouts.
Result: Kim, lean finish.

Aldrich vs Jeon
I'm impressed with Aldrich, she has a pressure heavy game, high volume, and great movement. A complete game. Struggles with wrestlers, but based on Jeon's record I doubt thats her gameplan. I couldn't find any tape on Jeon. Aldrich is a very tough debut fight for anybody(let alone short notice), so I'm very cofident in Aldrich. Jeon's only 19 and beat a couple cans.
Result: Aldrich, lean decision because WMMA but I wouldn't be suprised if she finishes.

Ottow vs Kunimoto
You gotta lean Ottow here, smoother on the feet, better striking, much younger and improving.. However I'm not counting Kunimoto out compeltly. He's very slick on the ground, and is great at forcing takedowns in the clinch. When he's succesful at that he's controlling the fight. Also Ottow's fighting short notice. However the lean is obviously Ottow.
Result: Ottow, lean decision.

Steele vs Jemau
I really like Steele here, not impressed with Luke, and upon watching tape on Steele, he is more promising then I recalled. He could be a real threat, I think this is an easy win for him.
Result: Steele, lean decision.

Moraga vs Ashkan
Moraga is legit, always a threat, but this is one I'm not very confident in. Moraga has been on a decline, while Ashkan is hungry and up and coming. So if it was based on pure will, I like Ashkan's chances. But Moraga has shown the skills in the past to outclass Ashkam, however lately Moraga's looked a little lost out there. Ashkan hasn't shown the best takedown defense, so if Moraga's able to work his wrestling game where he's at his best, he should get the win.
Result: Moraga, lean decision.

Brown vs Pichel
Another tricky one. Pichel has the gameplan that has given Brown problems in the past few fights(Pressure-clinch-takedown)), however they are at two different spots in their careers. Brown is on a roll and looking better, while Pichel we haven't seen in years. If the 2014 Pichel shows up, Brown could be in for some trouble. Gotta lean Brown here, but not real confident.
Result: Brown, I'm 50/50 on dec or finish.

Volkanovski vs Hirota
Alexander is scary. So far looking to be a real prospect. They both have similar styles. Relying on pressure and strength to drag the fight to the floor. Since Hirota is 36 and past his prime, while Alexander is only getting better, It's easy to see why he should win this fight. Don't like the line though.
Result: Alexander Volkanovski, lean finish(He's got some vicious GNP).

Elliot vs Nyugen
I'm going with Elliot just because of how good he's been lately, but I can't be to confident. Nyugen has shown a lot of promise and has a very well rounded game. Would not be surprised if he gets the win.
Result: Elliot, decision

Cutelaba vs Henrique
I wasn't going to count Henrique out until I watched his last 2-3 fights. He gasses after a couple minutes, and was taken down like 8+ times in those fights. His striking and head movement is pretty shitty too. Cutelaba is going to want this more, and should be able to control the fight with aggression, better striking, and takedowns. Save a lucky punch or lucky sub off his back, It's Cutelaba all day.
Result: Cutelaba Finish

Haven't watched tape for the last 3 fights. The pearson fight is the only one I'm not sure about. With the other two fights, I figure I'll come to the same conclusion wether I watch tape or not

Brunson vs Kelly: Kelly's looked impressive, but has yet to fight someone like Brunson. Brunson will be to big and strong for him to handle.(Not to cofident tho, i should watch tape)
Hunt vs Lewis: I've been a Lewis fan since day one because I grew up listening to houston rap and to hear someone talk like that post-fight with no regards wether or not anyone understands what the fuck he is saying is hilarious. I've backed him quite a bit and he's yet to let me down. Hunts the better striker, easily the better all around martial artists. However Lewis has proven to be no slouch. In a 5 round fight, unless Hunts able to take him down every round, it comes down to heart and whoever lands the lucky punch. Hunt obviously has scary power, but so does Lewis. I think Lewis will be able to bully the 43 year old Hunt at one point and win with a knockout.

Can anyone make a good case for Jumeau

I know nothing of this show but do we know if it is guys on the current roster fighting, or is it guys fighting to get into the UFC? a mix of the 2 perhaps?
a mix of the two...some fighting to get in, some fighting to stay in, etc etc. My main concern is are we gonna be able to bet on them.

Gabe & Gamblou doing their thing..

As a special treat at 16:08 you've got Gamblou dropping the f-bomb haha legend!

Ashkan / Moraga

Upon doing some early research I really think that one of the best value place on the card is Ashkan Mokhtarian against John Moraga. I've always considered Moraga to be one of the most overrated fighters all the roster. He made waves when UFC flyweight roster was shallow as a thimble full of water and then was swept up in the high tide when more talent began populating the division. He did wrestle collegiately at Arizona State and is an amateur boxer, but his wrestling has always been mediocre both offensive and defensively. However he has shown very good grappling.

Ashkan is a legal purple belt BJJ artist — who has competed in tournaments — with above average wrestling and very good striking. He has completed in amateur and professional kickboxing events as well as well as Muay-Thai and boxing fights. Additionally he has some well-rounded and technical striking skill with both speed power and precision. If he is able to maintain a vertical stance I believe he can pick Moraga apart from the fringe and/or rough him up in the clinch.

.What's more, he has completed all the way up from 155 pounds slowly making his way down to the 125 pounds. Moreover, he holds titles in a trio of classes ranging from 145. 135 to the 125 divisions. Physically the guy is an absolute tank of a specimen. How even makes 125 is beyond me. Nevertheless, he seems to do it without a problem and cardio looks good. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if it were Ashkan taking Moraga down. I believe that this fight is a coin flip at best and getting him at +140 or so is great value in my opinion.

The only thing that holds me back is his strength of competition and the unknowns. This compounded with first time octagon jitters makes me hesitant. A lot of the Iranian born fighter's opponents have been regional tomato cans. That said, when he has faced decent opposition he has bested them the same way. In fact, he ran through a very formidable 19-5 China Top Team product Honggang Yao getting the finish with an awesome Achilles' heel hook.

That's true, but you just mentioned two D-1 All-American wrestlers. Derrick Lewis is not that. The only thing that has an honorific in his name attaining the word "American" in it is regarding him being a former AAA truck driver.

Agreed. If I was confident in BB getting Hunt to the ground in this fight I'd definitely be playing him. I'm just not sure how he gets it there and I do believe that Hunt has the advantage on the feet. My point was that if BB does somehow manage to get top position Hunt is in a world of trouble.

As it is, I'm not confident in either guy and at this point I haven't bet the fight. I think this is a highly unpredictable spot and I can't see how anyone can be confident on either side. Going big on this fight is a mistake, regardless of the outcome IMO.

there is plenty pics of Hunt's training camp leading up to this fight on his instagram its only the last week he have been doing some vecation it looks like.. i dont think think thats a bad thing honestly at his age after having spend a couple month in camp..

he looks in pretty good shape by mark hunt standards lol

Last edited:
Thoughts on Brunson/Kelly? Surely dad-bod can't do it again..? Paddy Power have got Brunson ITD @ near evens, can't decide whether to play that straight or put his ML in my RR.

I believe that Daniel Kelly has went out on a Brian Ebersole/Anthony Perosh type of Aussie run here and it ends Saturday. But every time I think he's done Voilà dad bod strikes again lol

Agreed. If I was confident in BB getting Hunt to the ground in this fight I'd definitely be playing him. I'm just not sure how he gets it there and I do believe that Hunt has the advantage on the feet. My point was that if BB does somehow manage to get top position Hunt is in a world of trouble.

As it is, I'm not confident in either guy and at this point I haven't bet the fight. I think this is a highly unpredictable spot and I can't see how anyone can be confident on either side. Going big on this fight is a mistake, regardless of the outcome IMO.

If hunt were anywhere near his prime or even three years ago, I would have to empty the clip. But him getting KOd cold three months ago scares me. Regardless I believe heart has all the advantages here and gets the win. That said, you are 100% correct, if TBB gets it to the ground it's likely going to be curtains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back