What are you playing? v.7 (Paperboy Edition)

Is the shorter 'WAYCP' preferable to longer 'What are you currently playing'?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know, Jeff

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on the final chapter in DioField Chronicle. Trying to get all the best weapons and accessories is getting super grindy. You need 120k gold to to buy enough of one of the resources to unlock the last 2 tiers of a weapon branch, then another 60k to buy the weapon. Then the tier 5 accessories can run like 90k, x2 accessories slots for each of the 10 character in your party. I'm at the end of chapter 6 and each battle nets about 25k, and farming the most efficient battle over and over is getting a little dry.

Because I've been grinding out equipment as I leveled up, I've been consistently above the recommended level and smashing the campaigns. Been running the same strategy for most of the game and see it working all the way through. Even with the grind, really enjoyed the get, but JRPGs are one of my favorite genres and I enjoy grinding out gear.

Will be an easy plat too. 3 trophies left and 2 of them are for beating the last 2 chapters and the last one is to level a character to 50 and my main character is already 45 with one last chapter to go.

Decided to try Tunic and glad I did. Hooked me into finishing it in a few days. Looks like a kids game, but it’s like an old school Zelda game.

Now redownloading Grounded since the full release. Had pretty much 100% it during early-access. Not really of fan of survival/building games, but I like the concept, exploration, and combat is ok. Obsidian Entertainment makes some great games.

Reactions: hsz
Worked from home today and finished up the Plat for DioField Chronicles before I clocked in today.

Overall I'd give the game 6 of 10. Started strong but got really repetitive in the mid/late game. There was only a handful of maps and the grind for gear was was really dry. Normally I like the grind, but because it's map based battles, it's the exact same thing. So shooting for efficiency you literally run the same map over and over.

There was a lot of skills for variety, but some were just so OP when used together it was hard to rely on anything else. The main character is an assassin class and his assassinate skill does high damage normally and a huge boost from the back. Added to the fact it's a cheap skill, fast cool down, and when it kills an enemy it drops resets the cool down completely. Combined this with a Knight character that has an AoE shield wall that draws all aggro and in the late game sucks in all surrounding enemies and clusters them together.

I would run my knight past a group of enemies, activate Shield Wall to draw them all in with their backs to the rest of my group and clustered together. Then use AoE attacks with my other team mates to soften the group, then sweep in with my assassin and use assassinate on anything left standing and with the refresh I could literally use it back to back to slay a whole battlefield. If any enemy attempted to use a skill I would use Stun Shot with my archer to disrupt it.

This worked from early game all the way up to the last boss since Shield Wall and Assassinate are core class skills and unlocked from the first battle. Still think the game would have been better if was turned based rather than RTS.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails to zero.

Played the fan translation awhile back, but this is the official version. Updated from the psp version, but still looks old school. The VA is all in Japanese.

One of the best turn based jrpgs I have ever played

Worked from home today and finished up the Plat for DioField Chronicles before I clocked in today.

Overall I'd give the game 6 of 10. Started strong but got really repetitive in the mid/late game. There was only a handful of maps and the grind for gear was was really dry. Normally I like the grind, but because it's map based battles, it's the exact same thing. So shooting for efficiency you literally run the same map over and over.

There was a lot of skills for variety, but some were just so OP when used together it was hard to rely on anything else. The main character is an assassin class and his assassinate skill does high damage normally and a huge boost from the back. Added to the fact it's a cheap skill, fast cool down, and when it kills an enemy it drops resets the cool down completely. Combined this with a Knight character that has an AoE shield wall that draws all aggro and in the late game sucks in all surrounding enemies and clusters them together.

I would run my knight past a group of enemies, activate Shield Wall to draw them all in with their backs to the rest of my group and clustered together. Then use AoE attacks with my other team mates to soften the group, then sweep in with my assassin and use assassinate on anything left standing and with the refresh I could literally use it back to back to slay a whole battlefield. If any enemy attempted to use a skill I would use Stun Shot with my archer to disrupt it.

This worked from early game all the way up to the last boss since Shield Wall and Assassinate are core class skills and unlocked from the first battle. Still think the game would have been better if was turned based rather than RTS.
Thank you for this, the clear feedback is useful. I was hoping it would turn out better, but the days of Square consistently pumping out constant winners between the FF games are long gone

Damn, I need something new to play. I'm burnt out on everything I normally turn to. After I got 100% on Thymesia I've had no drive to play anything.

Anyone have any suggestions for titles on steam? I love souls-likes and roguelikes/lites mainly. I do enjoy a lot of FPS titles and some third person shooters so any suggestions are welcome. Only games I'm not big on are games such as Divinity and Neverwinter Nights with their D&D combat systems.
If you haven't played Prey, it's one of the greatest unknown games ever made.

Played the fan translation awhile back, but this is the official version. Updated from the psp version, but still looks old school. The VA is all in Japanese.

Man I still have to get around to TOCS 3, but it's one of only nine games left on my backlog so it's gonna happen soon hopefully

Checking back in on GT7 right now. I’m in the post end game content these days and currently working on some post story missions. It seems even after the main story line there’s even more cars to be earned. At this point my inventory is up to 88 cars, and there’s plenty out there that I don’t have. Im continuing to enjoy figuring out how to beat each mission and unlocking new cars. The tracks have all been unlocked; I do wish there was a few more.

I took my shot at my first “sim” race in which tires ware down and gas is limited….that’s going to be a whole nother adaptation as it’s immediately apparent I have to completely revise the way im racing.

Still something just doesn’t get old about souping up random cars and blowing by 20 ai vehicles. Maybe would be better if the ai racing instincts were just a tad better

Checking back in on GT7 right now. I’m in the post end game content these days and currently working on some post story missions. It seems even after the main story line there’s even more cars to be earned. At this point my inventory is up to 88 cars, and there’s plenty out there that I don’t have. Im continuing to enjoy figuring out how to beat each mission and unlocking new cars. The tracks have all been unlocked; I do wish there was a few more.

I took my shot at my first “sim” race in which tires ware down and gas is limited….that’s going to be a whole nother adaptation as it’s immediately apparent I have to completely revise the way im racing.

Still something just doesn’t get old about souping up random cars and blowing by 20 ai vehicles. Maybe would be better if the ai racing instincts were just a tad better

At some point soon they should be rolling out the racing AI they've developed over the last few years called Sophy.

1st in a series about it, think there's 3 parts so far

An Exhibition of the AI vs GT players

LOL why is Hitman 2 (2018) free to download on Steam? I bought Hitman (2017).

I got pretty deep into it but never finished it. I got to the point where you save the girl at the party. I think I'm going to buy this one and play it. At the very least to support the devs.

Man I still have to get around to TOCS 3, but it's one of only nine games left on my backlog so it's gonna happen soon hopefully

I got pretty deep into it but never finished it. I got to the point where you save the girl at the party. I think I'm going to buy this one and play it. At the very least to support the devs.

Just found out there are good English patches for hajimari ( the epilogue for the erebonia and crossbell arcs) and kuro (the beginning of the calvard arc), and now I want to get those.

Just found out there are good English patches for hajimari ( the epilogue for the erebonia and crossbell arcs) and kuro (the beginning of the calvard arc), and now I want to get those.

Damn I'm very tempted to do that. I've thought about replaying #4 just because it was such an information dump and I want to go back through it again. I was also blasting through it because I just wanted to know more and more. Seems like they are putting the games out quicker now which is nice.

Damn I'm very tempted to do that. I've thought about replaying #4 just because it was such an information dump and I want to go back through it again. I was also blasting through it because I just wanted to know more and more. Seems like they are putting the games out quicker now which is nice.
Hajimari and the second crossbell game are scheduled for next year I believe, but I have terrible patience. It is like waiting fir a new book I really want

Hajimari and the second crossbell game are scheduled for next year I believe, but I have terrible patience. It is like waiting fir a new book I really want

100%. I was so close to seeing if someone had translated the games online that I could just read and play the game at the same time. I held off though. I think I'll continue to hold off until the official release but it's not easy. I bought TOCS4 on PS4 just cause I couldn't wait for the PC release anymore. Hopefully the PC port isn't delayed again but I haven't looked to make sure.

I've been playing Aliens Fire Team Elite the past couple of days, it's really fun.

You can play with competent bots (team of 3) at lower levels, but it's exceptionally fun and strategic with a buddy. You need a human at anything higher than normal difficulty.

It's basically a horde shooter, but you're given lots of tools to dispose of enemies.

If you're an Aliens franchise fan like me, you'll really love it, but you don't have to be.

The game badly needs more missions, preferably a new planet. An FOV slider or an option to 1st person would be very welcome too.

I highly recommend this with at least one friend. It's a damn good time.

Last edited:
I've been playing Aliens Fire Team Elite the past couple of days, it's really fun.

You can play with competent bots (team of 3) at lower levels, but it's exceptionally fun and strategic with a buddy. You need a human at anything higher than normal difficulty.

It's basically a hoard shooter, but you're given lots of tools to dispose of enemies.

If you're an Aliens franchise fan like me, you'll really love it, but you don't have to be.

The game badly needs more missions, preferably a new planet. An FOV slider or an option to 1st person would be very welcome too.

I highly recommend this with at least one friend. It's a damn good time.
It's fun but there are very few maps. It's getting boring real quick when there is nothing to do. The DLC is a bit expensive too. It's 15 for 3 stages. It's not even worth it.

Game is kinda shitty when you play above the normal level. It all depends on your teammates. Some teammates run in front of your demolisher or they don't protect the sentries. There is always a pyro guy who obscures your shot.

It's fun but there are very few maps. It's getting boring real quick when there is nothing to do. The DLC is a bit expensive too. It's 15 for 3 stages. It's not even worth it.

Game is kinda shitty when you play above the normal level. It all depends on your teammates. Some teammates run in front of your demolisher or they don't protect the sentries. There is always a pyro guy who obscures your shot.
You need a buddy, or someone you can coordinate with if you want to play on a higher difficulty. We did the one above normal.

I'm not going to pick up the DLC, that should have been far cheaper. I'll come back to this once a few more mission packs come out and the DLC is on sale.

It's really fun for a few sessions, def worth the time. It's too bad that when your gear is clicking, there's nothing left to do but do it again (pretty much identically) but at higher difficulty. Hopefully they made good money on this and will release lots more content.

The devs nailed the lore. They are big fans of the franchise. Most causal Alien viewers have no idea how rich the lore is. I watched a couple of interviews with the devs, but nothing since the DLC. Hopefully the luke-warm reception of it makes them take notice.

I really like the execution of the storytelling, perfect for this genre. Not everyone is going to care about it Like I do, so it's nice that you get decent environmental storytelling, and optional dialogue/lore bits you can avoid/skim through if you just want to get to shooting.

I don't know who the stewards of the franchise are at Disney, but it amazes me how well they are treating this property. I'm reading the River of pain trilogy, which includes Alien Isolation elements as canon. As you know, Seegson Corp and their Working Joe's are in the this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back