Why Americans cant win International kickboxing

I'm sure he is but i think his style has inherent flaws and i don't think he'll be a dominant kickboxing champion any time soon.

Would love for you to expand on this. Asa has a good reputation here in south FL. Not challenging you or anything would just love to hear what makes his style unappealing to you, or makes you believe he won’t have success. I think he is 4-0 in Glory KB right now.

I like his blend of boxing and Muay Thai. But I am bias and have a love for boxing lol

Would love for you to expand on this. Asa has a good reputation here in south FL. Not challenging you or anything would just love to hear what makes his style unappealing to you, or makes you believe he won’t have success. I think he is 4-0 in Glory KB right now.

I like his blend of boxing and Muay Thai. But I am bias and have a love for boxing lol
I just feel like it's a bit flashy and jittery and easy to exploit for fighters who focus more on technique and timing. He might beat some good opponents i just don't think he is champion level. Then again i haven't seen too many of his fights so take my words with a grain of salt.

The United States has a curious habit of inventing its own sports

sometimes this is really interesting and cool Sometimes this is a major handicap

In the sport of kickboxing it has been a devastating decision

Throughout the world kickboxing has a handful of primary Styles but they all revolve around the traditional King from Southeast Asia....
Muay Thai

Instead of adopting the internationally accepted styles America took kickboxing and created its own unique particular style

Sportsman often focus on extrinsic matters. What matters is the art & quality of the training.

I took the third video because it captures these two governing dynamics extremely well.

Kickboxing in the USA? is a rather generic kicking & punching art. Grew out of boxing with presumably the karate's kicking influence, without the formal grounding in either. Hence a weaker art in principle. Hence more dependent upon the athletic capability of the practitioner compared relative to other arts.

Muay Thai is most certainly grounded in certain principles, including developing great strength in the body to throw extremely powerful strike, especially the kicks. Boxing in comparison, focuses more on technicals of out-landing punches on the opponent. Muay Thai Thailand is a pure art.

It's not surprising then, to see the outcome here. We have an highly talented athlete in the American kickboxer, who excels at this craft. For all his well rounded and well demonstrated kickboxing style, however, he is neither as powerful or as tactically savvy as the more traditional Muay Thai fighter. Consequently, it's ultimately a losing battle.

The American kickboxer also displays the inherent weakness in his American version of the kickboxing style. Attempts to throw accurate technique often have no appreciable impact on the tougher Muay Thai opponent. The American kickboxer does not fare the same.

Secondly, the American kickboxer's typical hands up guard defense is often ineffective. Especially at crucial moments which is all it takes. The hands up guard is fraught with openings depending on the flow of the action. And is so exploited by the Muay Thai stylist here.

Thirdly, the American kickboxers foot work presumes a certain boxing-like range, which doesn't match with the constant stalking approach by the Muay Thai traditionalist. The American struggles to regain his range.

Finally, the American kickboxer's hands reflect the usual bagwork, mitt, and sparring practice in stark contrast to the carefully calculated moves by his well-honed traditionalist opponent. A ring sense deficient.

All this goes to show that a typical American Kick-boxing regimen does not impart the capability of a high class Muay Thai stylist who is more grounded on bedrock traditional stylistic principles, no matter the very high athleticism of the American.

The fight ends with the American getting clocked then rocked, then backed into the corner & pummeled as he frantically covers and swings and covers and swings only hastening his demise. Classic sport fighter destroyed by traditionalist.

In line w OP's thesis.

I just feel like it's a bit flashy and jittery and easy to exploit for fighters who focus more on technique and timing. He might beat some good opponents i just don't think he is champion level. Then again i haven't seen too many of his fights so take my words with a grain of salt.

Thats a fair assesment. I guess only time will tell just how far he can go lol.

American kickboxing developed a phenomenal range of spinning kicks and utilized a slicker type of boxing

In MUAY Thai your tought to keep your head up and not duck punches

Remember its illegal to duck below your opponents waist in modern boxing

Naasem hamed may have had the most radical head movement in combat sports history!!

Last edited:
Sportsman often focus on extrinsic matters. What matters is the art & quality of the training.

I took the third video because it captures these two governing dynamics extremely well.

Kickboxing in the USA? is a rather generic kicking & punching art. Grew out of boxing with presumably the karate's kicking influence, without the formal grounding in either. Hence a weaker art in principle. Hence more dependent upon the athletic capability of the practitioner compared relative to other arts.

Muay Thai is most certainly grounded in certain principles, including developing great strength in the body to throw extremely powerful strike, especially the kicks. Boxing in comparison, focuses more on technicals of out-landing punches on the opponent. Muay Thai Thailand is a pure art.

It's not surprising then, to see the outcome here. We have an highly talented athlete in the American kickboxer, who excels at this craft. For all his well rounded and well demonstrated kickboxing style, however, he is neither as powerful or as tactically savvy as the more traditional Muay Thai fighter. Consequently, it's ultimately a losing battle.

The American kickboxer also displays the inherent weakness in his American version of the kickboxing style. Attempts to throw accurate technique often have no appreciable impact on the tougher Muay Thai opponent. The American kickboxer does not fare the same.

Secondly, the American kickboxer's typical hands up guard defense is often ineffective. Especially at crucial moments which is all it takes. The hands up guard is fraught with openings depending on the flow of the action. And is so exploited by the Muay Thai stylist here.

Thirdly, the American kickboxers foot work presumes a certain boxing-like range, which doesn't match with the constant stalking approach by the Muay Thai traditionalist. The American struggles to regain his range.

Finally, the American kickboxer's hands reflect the usual bagwork, mitt, and sparring practice in stark contrast to the carefully calculated moves by his well-honed traditionalist opponent. A ring sense deficient.

All this goes to show that a typical American Kick-boxing regimen does not impart the capability of a high class Muay Thai stylist who is more grounded on bedrock traditional stylistic principles, no matter the very high athleticism of the American.

The fight ends with the American getting clocked then rocked, then backed into the corner & pummeled as he frantically covers and swings and covers and swings only hastening his demise. Classic sport fighter destroyed by traditionalist.

In line w OP's thesis.
Welcome back.

Maurice smith and Dennis Alexio got smoked by international competition
Kickboxer-1989-jean-claude-van-damme-33365853-245-160.gif

How about the obvious answer that kickboxing isn't popular here? There aren't many quality kickboxing gyms to choose from and kids who want to fight in America have always gone to boxing.

The same reason Americans suck at soccer, everyone else sucks at basketball, most of the world sucks at hockey, etc etc.

This movie actually changed the American kickboxing landscape as it introduced Muay Thai to John Q public

King of the kickboxers may have been even worse of a movie but it to serve to introduce Muay Thai to the General Public

The thing we learned most of all is that Dennis alexio is it better kick boxer that he is an actor

How about the obvious answer that kickboxing isn't popular here? There aren't many quality kickboxing gyms to choose from and kids who want to fight in America have always gone to boxing.

The same reason Americans suck at soccer, everyone else sucks at basketball, most of the world sucks at hockey, etc etc.

Actually kickboxing was extremely popular in America for over a decade
however it failed to produce a single International Champion

It seemed to fade away after the Jean-Claude moved on to action movies

Don't you remember American Point karates Billy Blanks Tae Bo series

Actually kickboxing was extremely popular in America for over a decade
however it failed to produce a single International Champion

It seemed to fade away after the Jean-Claude moved on to action movies

Don't you remember American Point karates Billy Blanks Tae Bo series
Yeah, it was popular as a fad with a bunch of mcdojos popping up. It never grew the roots necessary to develop a quality "farm system". For a nation to become successful in a sport that has existed for a long time in other countries it takes at least 2 generations of athletes so that the first generation can develop the training programs.

I'm not saying that there can never be exceptional individuals from countries without a strong scene for their sport, but they are the exception and can't be the expectation.

Yeah, it was popular as a fad with a bunch of mcdojos popping up. It never grew the roots necessary to develop a quality "farm system". For a nation to become successful in a sport that has existed for a long time in other countries it takes at least 2 generations of athletes so that the first generation can develop the training programs.

I'm not saying that there can never be exceptional individuals from countries without a strong scene for their sport, but they are the exception and can't be the expectation.

Do you think the fact that they did a radically different style of kickboxing matter?

Do you think the fact that they did a radically different style of kickboxing matter?
Of course, but I don't think it matters as much as the quality of instruction and general popularity. Americans grow up doing a significantly different style of wrestling than the rest of the world. There have still been many American Olympic and world champions because the training programs are good.

Of course, but I don't think it matters as much as the quality of instruction and general popularity. Americans grow up doing a significantly different style of wrestling than the rest of the world. There have still been many American Olympic and world champions because the training programs are good.

Not really as we have only won VERY FEW medals and championships

1 world championship in 22 years in wrestling

Its actually EXACTLY the same

We use a different style thus cant compete at the international level

Wtf are you talking about? We had 3 freestyle gold medalists in 2018 alone

Which world championship? We're 4th in all time medals for World Wrestling Championships (249 total, 65 gold) and 2nd of all time for Olympic wrestling (132 total, 54 gold)

I did find a tournament where the Americans beat the Thais, but it seemed to be some kind of MT-Lethwei hybrid rules:

MV5BMjE2MzQ0NTAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQzODcxMQ@@._V1_.jpg

That's a far cry from 1 in 22 years.

America has come in the top 3 as a team for the past 3 years in freestyle. If you're going to act like the US isn't good right now, idk what to tell you.

Well America has only won a single World Wrestling championship in 22 years and pulled 13.3% of gold medals out of the last one so if you think that's good I don't know what to tell you

Back