Why Americans cant win International kickboxing

I did find a tournament where the Americans beat the Thais, but it seemed to be some kind of MT-Lethwei hybrid rules:

MV5BMjE2MzQ0NTAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQzODcxMQ@@._V1_.jpg

LOL yeah that's good comedy

Well America has only won a single World Wrestling championship in 22 years and pulled 13.3% of gold medals out of the last one so if you think that's good I don't know what to tell you
Yes, for a single nation to get 13% of gold medals (higher percentage if you only count freestyle) and to get second as a team in freestyle is pretty good. My point was not that the different styles have no impact, as I stated. Different rulesets obviously make a big difference. My point was that popularity and training quality have an even larger impact. Hence, Americans do much better in freestyle wrestling than they do in kickboxing, even though the degree of difference in the rules is comparable.

Greco has a significantly larger rule difference than the kickboxing styles or freestyle/folkstyle, so it doesn't make for a very accurate comparison. Greco and folkstyle are so far apart they might as well be different sports.

I did find a tournament where the Americans beat the Thais, but it seemed to be some kind of MT-Lethwei hybrid rules:

MV5BMjE2MzQ0NTAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQzODcxMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Clearly you forgot the other time they did.

220px-Kickboxer_poster.jpg

Yes, for a single nation to get 13% of gold medals (higher percentage if you only count freestyle) and to get second as a team in freestyle is pretty good. My point was not that the different styles have no impact, as I stated. Different rulesets obviously make a big difference. My point was that popularity and training quality have an even larger impact. Hence, Americans do much better in freestyle wrestling than they do in kickboxing, even though the degree of difference in the rules is comparable.

Greco has a significantly larger rule difference than the kickboxing styles or freestyle/folkstyle, so it doesn't make for a very accurate comparison. Greco and folkstyle are so far apart they might as well be different sports.

Ok fair enough

I suggest that American athletes need to win a sport 1st and THEN it gets "popular"

Look as soccer...

Extremely popular everywhere but in the USA

Fiddling with the rules wont "make" it popular in America

Only WINNING will make it more popular

Best way to do that is to actually train how you compete

it's a very simple theory I agree with

Or we could invent our own unique style of soccer

There is no money in it. How many kickboxing schools in the US vs Muay Thai schools vs long pants karate schools?

Ok fair enough

I suggest that American athletes need to win a sport 1st and THEN it gets "popular"

Look as soccer...

Extremely popular everywhere but in the USA

Fiddling with the rules wont "make" it popular in America

Only WINNING will make it more popular

Best way to do that is to actually train how you compete

it's a very simple theory I agree with

Or we could invent our own unique style of soccer
That's definitely a sound theory, especially for wrestling and kickboxing where we could conceivably get better results relatively quickly.

I still think folkstyle is vastly superior to freestyle, though, and wouldn't support the switch.

While this is true, our country is called "The United State of America", so you're pretty limited on what to call us. "The United Statesmen" ???
It's because when we created our country it was an alliance and agreement of multiple colonies / states under one government. Thats why we are the united states, of (the land called) America.

The other places are other countries.

It's because when we created our country it was an alliance and agreement of multiple colonies / states under one government. Thats why we are the united states, of (the land called) America.

The other places are other countries.
Thank you very much for the 3rd grade history class education.

There is no money in it. How many kickboxing schools in the US vs Muay Thai schools vs long pants karate schools?

Was lots of money in it not that long ago

That's definitely a sound theory, especially for wrestling and kickboxing where we could conceivably get better results relatively quickly.

I still think folkstyle is vastly superior to freestyle, though, and wouldn't support the switch.

What exactly is folkstyle "better at" than freestyle??

Transitioning to other forms of grappling

That's not the primary reason I prefer it, though. As someone who likes wrestling on the mat, I think it's way more fun.

do you say that because so many ufc champs are former folkstyle wrestlers?
what freestyle experience do you have?

do you say that because so many ufc champs are former folkstyle wrestlers?
what freestyle experience do you have?
That is a compelling argument, but no. I say it because the mat wrestling in folkstyle that is nearly nonexistent in freestyle lends itself well to all of the various forms of submission grappling.

Just local off-season freestyle camps and tournaments in highschool. I really enjoyed starting periods on bottom and being able to work aggressively for reversals. Par terre is not for me.

That is a compelling argument, but no. I say it because the mat wrestling in folkstyle that is nearly nonexistent in freestyle lends itself well to all of the various forms of submission grappling.

Just local off-season freestyle camps and tournaments in highschool. I really enjoyed starting periods on bottom and being able to work aggressively for reversals. Par terre is not for me.

Folkstyle Wrestling spends most of its time mat wrestling... exclusively turning a opponent from all 4 to his back

Freestyle is more about takedowns throws and slams

Way better for MMA

Thats why the tiny handful of international wrestlers that get in the ufc dominate

Folkstyle Wrestling spends most of its time mat wrestling... exclusively turning a opponent from all 4 to his back

Freestyle is more about takedowns throws and slams

Way better for MMA

Thats why the tiny handful of international wrestlers that get in the ufc dominate
Yeah...

How many lowkick kickboxing schools are there in America?

How many lowkick kickboxing schools are there in America?

there were a tiny handful throughout the entire country before Jean Claudes bloodsport and kickboxer movies

after that kickboxing surged into massive popularity for the next few years untill it was swallowed by MMA and has lived off the underbelly of MMA ever since... much like the sport of wrestling

(except wrestling was never popular)

Being raised in Hawaii i was exposed to MuayThai as a kid but had to move to the mainland where the only kickboxing available was PKA

I was driving an hour and a half to a boxing club in Indiana owned by American kickboxing founder Terry Middleton who had a few champions including wka world heavyweight Willam Abdul Jarvis and local heavyweight champ Matt Kitterman however it was mostly regular boxing and PKA Kickboxing

i was there for a few years untill i could build my own club 10 min from my home at the community center

it was terribly hard to find sparring partners as i had a long running ad in the newspaper and bargin mart and was lucky to get 3 or 4 guys at any session

A few of my buddies from highschool and i used to go to the community center and wrestled/kickbox after school

The next day after bloodsport/kickboxer hit (88/89) we filled up overnight and switched to MUAY Thai...

we had abouy 10/20 guys per session from then on!!!

A few years later UFC hit and we switched to NHB/MMA

Thats the birth of Louisville MMA fightclub

there were a tiny handful throughout the entire country before Jean Claudes bloodsport and kickboxer movies

after that kickboxing surged into massive popularity for the next few years untill it was swallowed by MMA and has lived off the underbelly of MMA ever since... much like the sport of wrestling

(except wrestling was never popular)

Being raised in Hawaii i was exposed to MuayThai as a kid but had to move to the mainland where the only kickboxing available was PKA

I was driving an hour and a half to a boxing club in Indiana owned by American kickboxing founder Terry Middleton who had a few champions including wka world heavyweight Willam Abdul Jarvis and local heavyweight champ Matt Kitterman however it was mostly regular boxing and PKA Kickboxing

i was there for a few years untill i could build my own club 10 min from my home at the community center

it was terribly hard to find sparring partners as i had a long running ad in the newspaper and bargin mart and was lucky to get 3 or 4 guys at any session

A few of my buddies from highschool and i used to go to the community center and wrestled/kickbox after school

The next day after bloodsport/kickboxer hit (88/89) we filled up overnight and switched to MUAY Thai...

we had abouy 10/20 guys per session from then on!!!

A few years later UFC hit and we switched to NHB/MMA

Thats the birth of Louisville MMA fightclub
I wouldn't call Muay Thai international(k1 style) kickboxing. The rules are vastly different. There aren't many "legit" muay thai schools in the nation although it has got better recent years.
In terms of international kickboxing, I can only think of less than ten schools in America that teach that sport exclusively. How are you going to be a force in that sport if you don't even have a decent foundation in it. The same can be said in Muay Thai in America. There aren't many people who practice the sport vs somewhere like Thailand where they have around 60k professionals

Kickboxing is an umbrella term.

Obviously Muay Thai is a very distinct art form with Wai Kru, the monkgon, distinctive scoring etc but it's my impression thatJapanese Kickboxing (not K-1 style kickboxing) is quite similar to what many would call international muay thai. In some cases they're arguably closer to each other than international muay thai and stadium muay thai.

A lot of the fighters in "K-1 style kickboxing" have a muay thai background now either way. I'm just guessing now but i think most kickboxers from eastern europe started out as muay thai fighters? Probably the same stands true for scandinavia and france.

Back