DC Believes Fedor Was 'Average At Best' In 2009

Fedor was the best HW of his time and I've been a huge fan but Cormier is probably right.
Fedor was the original well-rounded HW but the problem was by 2009 he'd become nothing more than a head-hunter. He totally neglected his ground game, game-planning, conditioning and relied on his right hand alone. His last great fight was his demolition of Tim Sylvia in 2008.

I couldn't believe the way he was just swinging and missing everything against Big Foot.

He used up most of his gas tank in the first round.

Reactions: egk
AA, Big Tim and Barnett were not with the UFC during 09 it was until a few years later or in Tim's case he never came back. That also pushes the newer guys to ranked opponents. There was probably 1 or 2 guys we totally forgot that were contenders during that time in the UFC but washed out. It is hard to remember old stuff.

ahh I remember one. Gabe Gonzaga

Fedor vs an up and coming Todd Duffee would've been fun.

I couldn't believe the way he was just swinging and missing everything against Big Foot.

He used up most of his gas tank in the first round.

A bad sign was that he was planting his feet and windmilling against a live opponent, something that didnt happen at all against say Mirko although still I think its very possible on another night he'd have finished Bigfoot in the first.

Really I think by that point he was shifting towards more glass canon status, he got a bit lucky against Arlovski and Rogers, then got a bit unluckly in the following 3 fights.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/10...verage-at-best-had-he-come-to-the-ufc-in-2009

“Versus Brock Lesnar, I’ll give you that. I think he beats Brock Lesnar. But outside of that, I don’t think Fedor competes very well in the UFC. I think that, honestly, Fedor not going to the UFC allowed for the intrigue to stay, but the reality of the situation is he would not have done well against those guys like JDS (Junior dos Santos), he wasn’t beating Cain Velasquez, he would have struggled with guys like Cheick Kongo. He was not beating those guys that were at the top of the UFC at that time. I’m certain of it.

“I know you’re gonna say, ‘ Well he beat this guy, he beat (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira and he beat Frank Mir.’ For as great as he is, he would have been, at that time in the sport, average at best. I’m telling you. Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11, average at best.”

Do you agree?

Hm, thousands of MMA clubs around the world by 2009, probably 10,000 HW. Do I think Fedor was average, say ranked about 5000 in the world? I'd put him a bit higher than that.

Fedor was clearly no longer in his prime by 2009. However there's no way he was just an average fighter by then. Go visit you typical MMA club and see what an average HW is like.

Yes, I know that's not what DC meant. But its easy to say someone is lousy if it takes a time machine to prove otherwise. No one can prove DC wrong so he's safe to say it. Even if DC said there were thousands of HW's who could have beat Fedor back in 2009 it'd be impossible to prove him wrong.

I respect Cormier but I don't get how he can say Fedor would have been average when he beat Frank Mir, a former 2x UFC champion and Nog also being a UFC champ. That alone puts him above average.
You don't get the same credit for beating Frank Mir when Fedor beat him as he would have if he'd come to the UFC when Dana was trying to land him.

32-0 against best in the world? Wow, that’s a stretch. Since when Zulu, HMC and Kosaka are considered best in the world at any time?

Kosaka was certainly considered one of the best in the world by the time he fought Fedor the first time.
You use him as an example because he is just a Japanese name for you in yet another prove that you don't know shit and spend time in an MMA forum instead of actually watching the sport, especially from back in the day
So please talk about Jones but restrain from talking about what you don't have a clue

I would bet on a prime Fedor against Silva on his feet all day tho.. Have a hard time seeing Anderson have a chance there.

Fedor would have gone for the clinch and maul Silva from there. He is not out striking Anderson, man. He had hand speed for a HW but not for one of the quickest MWs ever

It’s amazing. Fedor fanatics want to claim fedor lost because he was past his prime, fragile, not training, headhunting christian. Yet when someone says he wasn’t elite elite anymore it’s a giant affront and blasphemous.

I would bet on a prime Fedor against Silva on his feet all day tho.. Have a hard time seeing Anderson have a chance there.
You have a hard time seeing anderson have a chance standing against fedor?

SMH……..

That's maybe true in 2009 (though Fedor still got 2 top 10 wins in 2009), but you definitely can't say that if you transplant 2005 Fedor into the 2009 UFC.

Hendo would lose 9/10 or 10/10 against a prime Fedor, dont be silly. Just look how fast Fedor got Hendo to ground in that fight when he clearly were on his downhill of career. Hendo is a dangerous fighter and he caught a probably too comfortable and underestemating Fedor. Hendo has that potential to anyone, specially on TRT.

Antonio Silva was a giant and could give a hard time to anyone. Wasn't he on trt aswell in that fight? Anyway he fought an old old Fedor in regards of fighting mileage. Fedor hanged on there looking for a solution and then the fight got called finished by judges. Sure Silva seemed to have won that anyway but having seen Fedor coming back from hard times you never know what would have happened if it continued. Prime Fedor tho would have been another story imho.
Lol…..fedor didn’t get hendo to the ground……not sure what you’re talking about….

DC is just mad that hes in nobody goat list

Fedor would have gone for the clinch and maul Silva from there. He is not out striking Anderson, man. He had hand speed for a HW but not for one of the quickest MWs ever

The Fedor that got KO'd by Bigfoot and Hendo easily gets KO'd by Silva on the feet.

The guy got ko'd by Matt Mitrione and battered by Maldonado...let that sink in

Back