How would Cormier vs Prime Fedor go down?

We have examples of multiple wrestlers coming into MMA later in life and having success into their 40s.
  • Couture started MMA at 34
  • Coleman started MMA at 32
  • Cormier started MMA at 30
  • Hendo started MMA at 28
Clearly the rigors of wrestling don't effect your shelf life that bad in terms of fighting. All of these guys found success in MMA in their 40s.

On the flip side, fighters that started their MMA early rarely make it to the age of 40 and still find success at that age. Vitor, Anderson, and in a few years Overeem, all had much longer careers than the guys I mentioned above but by the time they hit 40 their success came to screeching halt. The reason for that is competing in MMA shortens your shelf life faster than wrestling does.... We have almost 25 years to extrapolate that data.
Couture, Coleman and hendo all have simple explanations (and Coleman had somewhat limited success but was a pioneer) and were early entrants to the sport. Coleman was breaking down early too. Same as kerr. We have plenty of fighters doing full contact combat who go through their 30s pretty well. Add hunt to your list, Rothwell, sergei, machida and others. And those guys (wrestlers) self selected into mma. Plenty of wrestlers aren’t nearly as well physically and can’t pursue mma because of it. That’s not a good set of examples because way too limited. And again, fedor wasn’t getting concussed often. That shortens lifespans for sure. Wear and tear? That’s not unique to mma.

I don't dislike him, but DC is way over-rated in my view. If he was going up against a bigger group of younger HW's he would not be champion. If you look at his complete HW portfolio, it has a lot of decision wins. Even Brock Lesnar was able to finish Frank Mir. He couldn't finish Anderson Silva even with his grappling skills (which is Silva's biggest weakness). Fedor had a much higher finish rate. Fedor also fought a lot more fights per year in his prime (which was more risky).

Prime Fedor would easily out grapple and finish DC.
DC made it very clear before the Silva fight that he had no intention of hurting him but don't let that get in the way.

DC would poke Fedor in the eye, Fedor would then send his head into orbit.

Couture, Coleman and hendo all have simple explanations (and Coleman had somewhat limited success but was a pioneer) and were early entrants to the sport. Coleman was breaking down early too. Same as kerr. We have plenty of fighters doing full contact combat who go through their 30s pretty well. Add hunt to your list, Rothwell, sergei, machida and others. And those guys (wrestlers) self selected into mma. Plenty of wrestlers aren’t nearly as well physically and can’t pursue mma because of it. That’s not a good set of examples because way too limited. And again, fedor wasn’t getting concussed often. That shortens lifespans for sure. Wear and tear? That’s not unique to mma.

Lol so you're saying if Couture, Hendo, Coleman and DC started doing full contact MMA at the age of 20 that their body and chins would still hold up into their 40s??? on top having success at that age???

I'm baffled that you're so dumb lol

Lol so you're saying if Couture, Hendo, Coleman and DC started doing full contact MMA at the age of 20 that their body and chins would still hold up into their 40s??? on top having success at that age???

I'm baffled that you're so dumb lol
If they got hit as infrequently as fedor did?

Again, Coleman barely held up. It’s really not accurate to say he did.

Again, guys doing full contact combat sports have had success into their 40s.

Remind me whose leg he snatched?
Good ol explosive wrestler kevin randleman (RIP) is the first that comes to mind. Prolly only 1 or 2 more but kevin is my biggest comparison to him vs cormier. In all honesty DC would maul the hell outta fedor tho

If they got hit as infrequently as fedor did?

Again, Coleman barely held up. It’s really not accurate to say he did.

Again, guys doing full contact combat sports have had success into their 40s.

Lol you're delusional and never trained or played any sports for sure which is why you probably started watching MMA during TUF hence your user name comes from Kenny Florian. Not surprising your bitch ass is in every thread waving the UFC flag and talking shit about Fedor. Tell me this nerd, Which full contact fighter from the 2000s didnt get hit in the head frequently in training??? Are you seriously that stupid? Fedor was coming up in the 2000s before CTE studies even existed. Before the term CTE even existed. You're a buffoon for even making such a rebuttal.He was sparring hard as fuck and getting hit in the head regularly in fights and in training while someone like DC was still just wrestling. Not to mention all of the other injuries caused by the elements of MMA which include wrestling, grappling, scrambling, GnPing and wars in the ring and wars in the Gym.

The fact is this geek, if Cormier started fighting on the professional level at the age of 20, he would have taken way more damage by the age of 40 than someone who started fighting at the age of 30. You're an imbecile if you can't grasp this concept. To put things in perspective, Fedor had 23 fights in 4.5 years while DC had 23 fights in 10 years. Yes Fedor was destroying guys but also in that process destroying his body. To think that Fedor was still in his prime at 33 years old just because "DC , Randy and Hendo did well at 40" is retarded. Fedor burnt out exactly when he should have considering when he started and when he peaked in 2005. He was just so amazing that he stuck around and still gave the fans some epic fights way after his prime much like Anderson did too.

Last edited:
Lol you're delusional and never trained or played any sports for sure which is why you probably started watching MMA during TUF hence your user name comes from Kenny Florian. Not surprising your bitch ass is in every thread waving the UFC flag and talking shit about Fedor. Tell me this nerd, Which full contact fighter from the 2000s didnt get hit in the head frequently in training??? Are you seriously that stupid? Fedor was coming up in the 2000s before CTE studies even existed. Before the term CTE even existed. You're a buffoon for even making such a rebuttal.He was sparring hard as fuck and getting hit in the head regularly in fights and in training while someone like DC was still just wrestling. Not to mention all of the other injuries caused by the elements of MMA which include wrestling, grappling, scrambling, GnPing and wars in the ring and wars in the Gym.

The fact is this geek, if Cormier started fighting on the professional level at the age of 20, he would have taken way more damage by the age of 40 than someone who started fighting at the age of 30. You're an imbecile if you can't grasp this concept. To put things in perspective, Fedor had 23 fights in 4.5 years while DC had 23 fights in 10 years. Yes Fedor was destroying guys but also in that process destroying his body. To think that Fedor was still in his prime at 33 years old just because "DC , Randy and Hendo did well at 40" is retarded. Fedor burnt out exactly when he should have considering when he started and when he peaked in 2005. He was just so amazing that he stuck around and still gave the fans some epic fights way after his prime much like Anderson did too.

Look who’s mad. It’s amazing what fedor fans call talking shit when it comes to fedor. And my name has nothing to do with Florian....

You’re not even addressing things I said, just ranting at the idea that it’s impossible to tell how worn a fighter is based on whether they competed in one grueling demanding sport vs another. Again, is your contention that fedor was diminished by the time he fought werdum because of excessive blows to the head and concussions? Or that his training was simply more grueling and demanding on the body.....what part of the body? Again, is this all head related trauma you’re referencing? I’ll await another rant in return. Randy, hendo, Anderson, hunt, lots of boxers.....again, it’s not simple math that says how worn a combat athlete should be....stop arguing like it is.

Look who’s mad. It’s amazing what fedor fans call talking shit when it comes to fedor. And my name has nothing to do with Florian....

You’re not even addressing things I said, just ranting at the idea that it’s impossible to tell how worn a fighter is based on whether they competed in one grueling demanding sport vs another. Again, is your contention that fedor was diminished by the time he fought werdum because of excessive blows to the head and concussions? Or that his training was simply more grueling and demanding on the body.....what part of the body? Again, is this all head related trauma you’re referencing? I’ll await another rant in return. Randy, hendo, Anderson, hunt, lots of boxers.....again, it’s not simple math that says how worn a combat athlete should be....stop arguing like it is.

I specifically said hes been fighting full contact since 2000 so yes, unless you're retarded you would understand that hes accumulated mileage and damage from taking blows to the head. Is it that hard for you to respect the fact that Fedor peaked in 2005 around the 23 fight mark? The same way DC has peaked now 23 fights into his career. There is a laundry list of reasons for why and how Fedor could have lost 5 years past his peak, regardless of his age.

Fedor didnt lose for a decade and lost 5 years after he peaked. What's so hard to understand about this?

What boxer does well in a K1 match against another K1 fighter? Jordan Tai?
I don't even understand your point about wrestling? In the past, you have retired Judo players winning sambo world championships. You also have folks in America that won sambo tournaments that never trained Sambo.
Bernardo is a good example.

What Are you talking about? Fedor was just that. A former Judo player winning Sambo world championships. Are there even combat Sambo championships in the us?

You make a lot of effort to shit on combat Sambo, but even today we have a Sambo champ in the American org UFC. Kind of strange..

I think the fact DC is of a newer era and that MMA is a more refined sport now could play a factor into him winning, but Fedor was a head of his time. It's also pretty clear even now that Fedor has freakish strength so wrestling wouldn't be easy.

DC also isn't hardest person to hit, which isn't the best idea against fedor as well as his submission game.

Really? I dont know the intensity of wrestling mats? I got my purple belt in 2014 from Kenji Kaneko who got his black belt through the lineage of Royce Gracie. Been submission grappling, wrestling in gi and no gi since 2006 and have more time on the mats in a month than you have in your whole life. I've sparred and grappled with fighters from all kinds of backgrounds and wrestling/judo/sambo are all universally similar when it comes to mileage and damage when training is as the highest level.

Wrestling is obviously one of the toughest sports in the world but so is fucking Judo where a fat American chump like you wouldnt make it through the warm ups and Fedor has been doing that his whole life on top of fighting FULL CONTACT MMA since the age of 20 and having 33 fights by the time DC just started MMA. You would have to be a moron to insist that DC at 33 had taken as much damage as Fedor by that age.
With all that said you would think you would be smart enough to know DC shits down Fedor's throat.

I hate how these threads always derail into bullshit fedor hate, like I'm a pretty big fedor fan and get a bit annoyed by how blindly in love with some people are with him. But still, can't we have a bit of respect for the guy who laid down the blue print on what a truly complete fighter should be like?

He took the sport to new heights in his prime, but people seem to resent him for not fighting in the UFC and treat his strikeforce stint as an asterisk on his legitimacy when something clearly wasn't right in those fights.

I've said this before, it would be a hell of a fight. Prime Fedor is like nothing Cormier has fought before. Someone with the power of Rumble and speed of Vitor but dangerous everywhere, both ground, standing and transitions like almost nobody has been able to replicate. Also somewhat unorthodox.

Cormier however is the guy that makes you fight his fight. Extremely tough, great cardio, can dictate where he wants the fight and is as determined as anyone with extremely good control, and is also pretty good everywhere, perhaps aside from being on his back.

If you didn't have Fedor, you wouldn't have guys like Cormier and Cain to learn from and improve on. UFC-only fans hate on him all you want, but at least give him that credit. He was so much 'above the curve' as a HW he defined what you needed to be to be the best there and went 10 years undefeated as a result.

In the cage, with Unified Rules I see Cormier winning, he knows the rules, the pacing the scoring and it would suit him far more. Get on top, grind down and keep on top controlling, chip away like he did vs Anderson. Fedor's 2004 mindset is less control based and more finish based under Pride rules. He wouldn't be up to scratch on defense of being controlled by a guy like Cormier. That being said he's still a very hard guy to control with extreme explosiveness, but I think with elbows, Cormier could do it. And Cormier would have to get him down.

In Pride, I see Fedor winning. Judges wouldn't be rewarding control, and there's no elbows, plus up kicks are legal to the head even with Cormier on his knees. Standing I think Fedor has the advantage, and if Fedor was on top of Cormier, if he knocked him down, I can't see DC surviving a Nog-like GnP barrage. I don't see anyone beating Fedor in his 'home environment' where MMA has evolved (some would say 'devolved' away) from to what it is today.

Fedor was 32 years old when he lost against Werdum, how is that not his prime?

This "Prime Fedor never lost" thing is a huge meme.
FWIW 33 and a half when losing to Werdum and a month or so off 35 when he lost to Hendo.

Back