Is there any pop/rock band u respect morr than The Beatles

I personally think the Beatles are boring and basically suck. So yeah

Now that is a novel. Dionysus is a good comp for modern concerts. I had to read the Bacchae by Euripides in college. Crazy stuff.

For the energy of a live show, performance is everything. Appreciating the art, I would almost always give more credit to the creator of the content. In certain cases, the performer lifts the piece to incredible heights the author could not imagine. Like Jimmy Hendrix, Along the Watchtower. Dylan was a great songwriter, but the electricity of Hendrix's performance transforms it.

Campbell was right about the Grateful Dead. That was a following. Never saw them live myself, but heard some of their performances from the live tapes my friends brought with them from concerts. Collecting tapes of different Dead concerts was a thing. Same tour, similar set, didn't matter. Kind of like Jazz musicians, no two performances were the same.

As far as the Beatles go, so much of their music still inspires and moves me.
Hey Jude is one of the most uplifting songs I have ever heard. In My Life can bring on melancholy of time passed no matter what mood I am in prior to it playing. I have played Norwegian wood probably hundreds of time and never tire of it. I could go on and on. Obviously, I am a fan.

With most bands, you can hear a song and immediately know the performer. With the Beatles their catalog is so diverse and so different, if you were not familiar with a piece, you could easily be confused about the performer.

I get that not everybody will like their music. We all have our own tastes. Dismissing it and its influence, like it or not seems absurd and kind of ignorant.

EDIT : Holy Sh*t, I wonder if Campbell was talking about the big Ukrainian church down in the East Village. Used to live right around the corner from it. lol

Love Campbell

but that is the great thing about music man. the beatles move YOU and nobody can take that shit away from you. i can not like them but i do have the knowledge to know that is my subjective take and not reality. im glad you have such profound experiences with them man.

for me, once i found the dead all other bands just fell away. not that i dont like and even love other bands because i do. but the magic and miracle working that the dead did day in and day out at shows? the profound spiritual experiences they produced in people like me?

nothing touches that transcendence.

1971 - I'll put this up against anything the Beatles did on Let It Be.

Unfortunately, I think the Beach Boys were pigeonholed into the surfer image and a lot of people just didn't pay attention or respect them in the 70s. Brian at one pointed wanted to rename the band as "The Beach". Mike Love was vehemently opposed to changing the formula of the band and just wanted to write radio friendly pop songs.

Pet Sounds and onward probably should have just been a Brian Wilson solo album but you really needed those harmonies of Al, Mike and Carl to bring it all together.

Netflix has a documentary called "Echo in the Canyon". Jakob Dylan interviews a bunch of people in and around Laurel Canyon in the early 60's and he and Fiona Apple and a bunch of other artists covering some of the great songs from the era. Dennis Wilson gets plenty of screen time and plenty of talk about the origins of Pet Sounds along with its influence on other artists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_in_the_Canyon

I would definitely recommend it.

The Beach Boys were the Beatles favorite band, so they have to be pretty good right? Paul Mcartney also acknowledges this as his favorite song. Great song.

Beach Boys may sound simple to the uninitiated, but there is a depth to their music that other musicians recognize.

The Beach Boys are the only pop group to hold a candle to the Beatles IMO. Like I said earlier in this thread, if they had kept evolving after Pet Sounds, they might've surpassed The Beatles. Instead, Brian Wilson went nuts and The Beatles picked up where they left off.

I honestly think that if Smile had been finished and released when it was supposed to have been, nobody would give a fuck about Sgt. Pepper.

Netflix has a documentary called "Echo in the Canyon". Jakob Dylan interviews a bunch of people in and around Laurel Canyon in the early 60's and he and Fiona Apple and a bunch of other artists covering some of the great songs from the era. Dennis Wilson gets plenty of screen time and plenty of talk about the origins of Pet Sounds along with its influence on other artists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_in_the_Canyon

I would definitely recommend it.

Brian Wilson...

Brian Wilson...
giphy.gif

You can say Page got a bit sloppy from the drugs. But I think he had more memorable solos than the Beatles. Arguably the best solo from the Beatles was on Taxman, which wasn't George Harrison, it was Paul McCartney. I think Paul was the most talented musician in the band. Might have been the best on any of the instruments that they played.

This is pretty fun though (timestamped):

With all due respect my friend, I doubt you are even familiar with their music. You might be thinking of their very early stuff. Multiple generations of musicians across almost every genre have sited them as an influence.

That is the functional equivalent of looking at a cave mouth and deciding it is just a dark closet without plumbing its depths to find the treasure contained within.

With all due respect, it's an opinion. IMO they're just another glitzy pop band. There have been millions of musicians over the years, I'm sure there are many other artists who are cited as an influence.

Not a fan, I'd say I prefer Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Meat Loaf
<5>

And if so explain why that band u feel is worthy of greater respect than The Beatles
as far as bands? No. As far as certain departments of music, like instrumental/vocal prowess? Many. But in terms chemistry, each man working perfectly together along with the perfect timing for Beatlemania as well as phenomenal helping hands like George Martin and Billy Preston, they are the best. I have been listening to alot of them lately, I thought to myself, "you know, 80 percent of successful pop acts in history don't even have one song as good as many of their songs. Just a phenomenal level of fine production and songwriting.

Incidentally, I know a pro drummer and I was asking him why other drummers hate ringo and told him things that small time drummers have said to me, "I was better after one year than ringo" or "Paul had to play the harder drumparts, that's how good Ringo was". However, I'm convinced that Ringo was a groundbreaker along with the rest, perfect drumming for the songs and I believe that drumming changed after the Beatles, so I guess I just scratch my head about that, I just don't get it.

Lot's of fine bands with superior musicianship, the obvious ones are Led Zeppelin, Guns and Roses, etc.., etc.., and some of them may come close but none of them have the magic that the beatles had, no matter how much better they could play.

I'll take Prince over The Beatles any day if we're talking pop music. The guy was crazy talented, his catalogue is full of variety yet it's all beautiful, didn't steal much from others and no Japanese weirdo told him what to do. I always liked George Harrison, he's a cool lad.
I'm the biggest Prince fan in the world. Tough comparison, and it's basically one guy's talent vs. five. Prince was way more than good enough on the four rock band instruments and a truly great guitarist. His production innovations were huge at the time. Looking back, some fans say, "oh, his synths sound like a casio" but at the time, it was just as new and just as fresh as Elvis or the Beatles in their day. It's not the same when you lived through it. The other thing about Prince was, he was overflowing with creativity, there is enough material for them to release albums for years and years. Not only that, in his heyday, the albums by Sheila e. The Time and The Family were full of great music that mostly came from him.

As far as stealing, Prince was a great thief, not only with the music of others (1999-Monday Monday-Mamas and Papas) but he also snatched up any fragment of arrangement, or even whole jams from the people around him. Members of the Time grumbled for decades how Prince recorded their jams and put out some of the music on his records. What was it picasso said, "good artists borrow, great artists steal"?.

Prince got me into the Beatles and a million other artists simply because I was young and unexposed to many artist. So hearing names like "Sly Stone" being named by journalists as his influences as well as Prince himself coming out with the psychedelic music of Around The World In a Day which the media had a field day with comparing it to the Beatles, (a comparison Prince denied but I think he was full of it) as well as Prince himself mentioning Led Zeppelin or a failed album by Stevie Wonder called "journey through the secret life of plants". Prince taught me to listen to all styles of music and try to get to the good stuff in each style.

Last edited:
The Beetles image, lifestyle and music played a huge role in setting this country on the path to destruction that it is on at this very moment so I have zero respect for them, I hate them really
you mean with horrible messages like "all you need is love"? If we're talking long hair, sex and drugs, we can't blame that only on the Beatles although they had a part.

As far as pop rock goes, no, there's nobody quite like them. Although I love the Beach Boys too. The harmonies they came up with were actually very intricate, even though people dismissed them and called them hacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicianship_of_Brian_Wilson
no one called the Beach Boy's hacks, Paul said Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Peppers. Problem was, Brian Wilson was the central genius and there weren't 3 or four more guys equally talented to see his vision.

I would argue Queen took far greater musical risks than the Beatles. That's not really a knock at the Beatles, they did change up their game over time but it was all thought out and generally aligned with the interests of their fans. Queen dropped disco bombs on you when you weren't looking. They did not give a single fuck.
I recently heard that the same piano that Paul played Hey Jude on in a televised performance was the same one on Bohemian Rhapsody.

The Beach Boys are the only pop group to hold a candle to the Beatles IMO. Like I said earlier in this thread, if they had kept evolving after Pet Sounds, they might've surpassed The Beatles. Instead, Brian Wilson went nuts and The Beatles picked up where they left off.

I honestly think that if Smile had been finished and released when it was supposed to have been, nobody would give a fuck about Sgt. Pepper.

rolling stone had an article 20 years after Sgt. Peppers (20 years ago today of course) and it claimed that Sgt. Pepper wasn't even close to the best psychedelic album, it listed Pipers at the gates of Dawn and a few others as better, I thought it was bullshit because I never liked those nearly as much. In that era, there were a lot of great bands, I'd say Jimi, The beach boys and the stones were probably the next best thing to the beatles but there were a lot of good bands, it was a decade since the early rockers and many young kids had all that time to take the music of their heroes and expand on it.

How great is a band when one of there most obscure tracks is this good? I didn't even know it existed until a few years ago and it's also Pauls favorite Beatles' song:

I knew May Pang and she mentioned none of this. She did tell me Yoko used heroin to control John though.

You think 1960's Beatles fans weren't asking for strawberry fields and revolution 9??

She said that? Wow, don't know if it was true but I could see it. John was sickeningly co-dependent with that woman. Having a woman is fine and dandy but why tell the world about the shit? It's weird.

I haven't got too deep into the Beatles but they are a great band, the White Album (no racist) is fantastic.
Funny how subjective things are because for me that is when their albums started to be a mix of great songs and bad songs --when J. Lennon went from alpha to beta in the band.

Back