Michael Chandler: Conor McGregor Announced Fight at 185 Pounds to 'Establish Dominance'

Winner?

• Conor

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Chandler

Votes: 56 83.6%

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
070423-conor-chandler-tuf-31-HERO.jpg

When Conor McGregor revealed that his long-awaited bout against Michael Chandler would be contested at middleweight, it raised eyebrows throught the mixed martial arts community.

After all, neither McGregor nor Chandler has competed at 185 pounds during their respective careers. Chandler has a theory on why the Irish superstar chose that weight class.

"In his mind, he can't fight at 170 [pounds], because I called him out at 170," Chandler told ESPN. "He had to say 185. ... He always wants to establish dominance, to make people think that I am less than him, and that's fine. I'll take that all day long, because I'm confident in myself, and I don't have an ego.

"I have no problem with what people say. I have no problem with people's opinions. Everybody's got an opinion, and who cares? ... I'll take that 'back seat' to him the entire time, and if he thinks he's taking a fight against a lesser man, then so be it. He'll find out on June 29.”

Chandler and McGregor served as opposing coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter 31,” and it was initially expected that the two would square off at some point late in 2023. When that didn’t come to fruition, the next targeted date was UFC 300 in April. While the fight has been delayed on multiple occasions, Chandler is confident that the International Fight Week date will happen as planned.

i really don't understand the reason why it's at 185. i'm guessing because conor doesn't want to cut weight. if conor wins, what's next? he's not going to fight a legitimate 185 fighter, so what's the point? strickland would smash him within three minutes lol. i dunno, they must have some plan in place i guess.

070423-conor-chandler-tuf-31-HERO.jpg

When Conor McGregor revealed that his long-awaited bout against Michael Chandler would be contested at middleweight, it raised eyebrows throught the mixed martial arts community.

After all, neither McGregor nor Chandler has competed at 185 pounds during their respective careers. Chandler has a theory on why the Irish superstar chose that weight class.

"In his mind, he can't fight at 170 [pounds], because I called him out at 170," Chandler told ESPN. "He had to say 185. ... He always wants to establish dominance, to make people think that I am less than him, and that's fine. I'll take that all day long, because I'm confident in myself, and I don't have an ego.

"I have no problem with what people say. I have no problem with people's opinions. Everybody's got an opinion, and who cares? ... I'll take that 'back seat' to him the entire time, and if he thinks he's taking a fight against a lesser man, then so be it. He'll find out on June 29.”

Chandler and McGregor served as opposing coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter 31,” and it was initially expected that the two would square off at some point late in 2023. When that didn’t come to fruition, the next targeted date was UFC 300 in April. While the fight has been delayed on multiple occasions, Chandler is confident that the International Fight Week date will happen as planned.

Are they fighting or is it a hot dog eating contest? 185???? Sheesh Looeesh!

lol it'll be the new trend, fighters bloating up so they can lumber around the cage like HWs chasing promiscuous teens at a campground
If this is a catalyst for some guys to stop weight cutting it will end up being a win.

I'm also willing to bet 90% of the people making fun of this fight due to the weight class have also called many guys weight bullies in other threads yesterday.

Sherdog gonna sherdog regardless

Back