Sean Strickland has the best jab in UFC history...(Dana said it's unseen in MMA)

That was Sean's third controversial split stinker.

He got murdered KO'd by Poatan in under one round, couldn't defend his belt a single time, certainly didn't earn his title shot.

Solidly top 10 point fighter with a very good jab, excellent cardio. That is about it. I don't get why we need all the other superlatives.

Cerrone has an underrated jab. Kind of a shovel punch.

That's what he used to start off the epic Rick Story combo. He also dropped Barbosa with it.

donald-cerrone-vs-edson-barboza.gif

It was a pity that Wandy left those ugly but stiff purposeful jabs in the PRIDE ring. Those would be useful for himin the UFX.

An underrated jabber is Stipe. He really knew how to use it.

Do people not realize that Strickland is a lefty that fights out of the orthodox stance?

Thats why his jab is so strong, but the rest of his striking is so underwhelming.

I don't know. GSP had a good jab, but he didn't use it as much as Sean because he spent so much time on the ground. Tim Sylvia also had a good one. Of course it helped that he was 6'8", but not all tall guys jab well. I think a good jab would've helped Travis Browne (same height as Timmeh). His striking was mostly swinging for the fences (with fists or elbows) but a more technical game could've put him in the elite level.
GSPs jab was two dimensional though, he used it to set up strikes and disguise level changes. It set up every part of his game. Frankly that was probably why he struggled so much with Hendricks, since he was a southpaw the hand fighting got in the way of his jab and without it he was either shooting takedowns or throwing strikes with no set up which made him look very beatable.

Sean’s might be better technically, not gonna claim to be a striking expert, but his stance is so upright that he can’t use it to set up anything other than strikes.

BJ and GSP both came back with very nice jabs after training with Freddie Roach.

Whittaker has a nice jab from a low hand position that finds its mark quite often.

Topuria showed a nice jab in the Emmet fight.

But yeah Sean’s jab is very nice probably his best weapon.

Only a handful of fighters ever use a jab as a weapon. gsp Nick Diaz. Bj. Penn. Strickland I can’t even name an actual handful.

It’s like a left hook to the body in mma. Nobody uses it. Fabio Maldonado is still somehow the best to ever do it in this sport.

Do people not realize that Strickland is a lefty that fights out of the orthodox stance?

Thats why his jab is so strong, but the rest of his striking is so underwhelming.
Shit really? I didn’t know that. There were rumors Liston was also a lefty and did the same thing. Only other mma guy I can think of who did that at a high level was Hughes but that was just fir his wrestling and frankly it was a terrible choice for him lol.

Strickland is definitely up there. I'd say Rob Font is also in the discussion.

GSP, Gane, Usman, Whittaker. All excellent jabs, very similar, long with a bladed stance.

Strickland's looks quite unique though, short and more squared. Comes out of nowhere with no tell, and damaging.

If we look outside the UFC, Doumbe has probably the best jab in all MMA.
Finally Gane is mentioned. His jab is a thing of beauty.

Do you agree Sean has the most devastating jab in UFC history? I've never seen a jab repeatedly cause severe damage and it's not telegraphed. Everyone knows it's coming, but they can't stop it.

If not, who is better?

People claiming Sean is a jack of all trades and is not top tier in any one thing are wrong.

Sean has a championship level jab and defense.
Jesus....

Strickland beats izzy and suddenly hes one of the greatest at something?

Lol,

And I thought it was Mousasi
How could I be so wrong

gsp was better, strickland is more reliant on his jab tho

i think he should diversify his arsenal a bit

I never liked BJ but i believe he Knocked out Matt Hughes with a stepping Jab.

The lack of Anderson Silva in this thread is shocking.

Back