So We're gonna complain about Alex vs Hill too?

Both fights are def not these "big fights" that the UFC and Dana were advertising and teasing at. Casuals and normal MMA fans, either don't know who Hill is, or could care less about him. He doesn't resonate with casuals whatsoever.. similar to Sterling and Woodley. Alex is the A side in that fight, regardless of what Hill thinks. Alex will bring the attention to that fight, not Hill. Max vs Gaethje is pointless and a disapointment in matchmaking. Could've made Max vs Ferguson or Max vs Nate, even Gaethje vs Burns or Gaethje vs Emmett, if the BMF belt was needed to be defended. All four wouldve been better fights and talked about more, then Max vs Gaethje.
The Max - Gaethje fight, even though now it looks even worse, because Max is now right back in title contention.. I like it that both guys are legends of the sports.. Justin is one of if not the most exciting fighter on the roster, maybe ever... i just think Max may not be the same after this one.. sad but true

Money talks, and the UFC has all the money in the world to make this card special. Muslim fighters would skip Ramadan for the right money. DDP would forget about fighting in Africa. If Jones was healthy, they could throw $20M at him to fight Aspinall.

The UFC is just too cheap to make it as special as Dana made it out to be.

300 is a good deep card, but nothing great. Nothing even on the same level as Volk vs Topuria.

lmao 1/4th of the people on 298 don’t even Wikipedia pages but okay

The entire prelims was basically a contender series event

It's a good fight, and 300 is a good card top to bottom. Maybe people just had their expectations too high given the numerical significance of it, but I don't know what else the matchmakers could've done. Had they brought back aging legends for "super fights," people would've complained about that too. Can't please everyone.

lmao 1/4th of the people on 298 don’t even Wikipedia pages but okay

The entire prelims was basically a contender series event
"nothing even on the same level as Volk vs Topuria" ie not one single fight on 300 is on the same level as that particular fight

Some very good fights, but nothing great.

Izzy vs Periera 3 or Izzy vs DDP IMO would have brought much more hype and would have been a better fight.

It's better than Leon vs Belal but doesnt bring the fame/legacy type feel.
I honestly can't believe some people wanna seen Alex and Izzy fight again. But I'll give you the DDP fight. Still think Hill v Pereira is a better main.

Guy is the former champ who never lost his belt

tbf Jiri was the true linear champ, Hill's "reign" is one of that rare cases in which an interim belt'd have be ok (in hindsight just waiting for Jiri to recover'd have been the best solution); i see him as a contender as everyone else at this point and not as a former champion.

tbf Jiri was the true linear champ, Hill's "reign" is one of that rare cases in which an interim belt'd have be ok (in hindsight just waiting for Jiri to recover'd have been the best solution); i see him as a contender as everyone else at this point and not as a former champion.

Jones is the true lineal champ. Jiri beat Glover to get the title in a fight he was losing up until he got the submission. Hill beat Glover much more impressively.

What exactly did everyone want?
I'm pretty neutral, but based on what I've seen, most people seemed to want a main event that felt like it was bigger than any typical card.

This could just as easily been the main event of UFC 302 or 298 and no one would have batted an eye or predicted a million PPV sales.

People were speculating about Khabib coming out of retirement, about Fedor coming to the UFC, about Alex vs Aspinall for a potential 3 division champ, or even Islam vs Leon for champ champ status. And by that measuring stick Champ vs contender doesn't seem like a major event.

Jones is the true lineal champ. Jiri beat Glover to get the title in a fight he was losing up until he got the submission. Hill beat Glover much more impressively.

jones is gone, that "linearity" is broken, forget about it: we have to pull togheter what is still here and imo Hill-Glover was a missed opportunity for an interim belt that'd have made perfect sense.
the rest of your objection are true but meaningless at this point.

I know your mom wasn't complaining last night

The fight is good but that's not what fans expected from UFC 300. 100 and 200 were so much bigger it's not even close.

I'm pretty neutral, but based on what I've seen, most people seemed to want a main event that felt like it was bigger than any typical card.

This could just as easily been the main event of UFC 302 or 298 and no one would have batted an eye or predicted a million PPV sales.

People were speculating about Khabib coming out of retirement, about Fedor coming to the UFC, about Alex vs Aspinall for a potential 3 division champ, or even Islam vs Leon for champ champ status. And by that measuring stick Champ vs contender doesn't seem like a major event.

Fedor in 2024 sucks, stop this nonsense. Khabib would never come back. Islam is never going to fight during Ramadan. None of those are believable fights. The only one you mentioned that is remotely believable is Pereira v Aspinall and it's not a better main event than Pereira v Hill. It's only an interim title and it would be a minute of watching Aspinall take Pereira down and sub him.

Pereira v Hill isn't just champ vs contender. It's former champ who never lost the belt vs current champ, both of whom are exciting strikers. It's a great matchup. You just have insane expectations.

jones is gone, that "linearity" is broken, forget about it: we have to pull togheter what is still here and imo Hill-Glover was a missed opportunity for an interim belt that'd have made perfect sense.
the rest of your objection are true but meaningless at this point.

If you're going to argue linearity doesn't matter when it comes to Jones then you can't argue Jiri is lineal champ. Especially considering he beat Glover less impressively than Hill did.

Fedor in 2024 sucks, stop this nonsense. Khabib would never come back. Islam is never going to fight during Ramadan. None of those are believable fights. The only one you mentioned that is remotely believable is Pereira v Aspinall and it's not a better main event than Pereira v Hill. It's only an interim title and it would be a minute of watching Aspinall take Pereira down and sub him.

Pereira v Hill isn't just champ vs contender. It's former champ who never lost the belt vs current champ, both of whom are exciting strikers. It's a great matchup. You just have insane expectations.

What is real or not is irrelevant to people's expectations.

If people expect rib eye and lobster with lavacake, scotch and a rimjob for desert, they'll complain about just getting rib eye and lobster. That's life.

"nothing even on the same level as Volk vs Topuria" ie not one single fight on 300 is on the same level as that particular fight

Some very good fights, but nothing great.
Nothing great is ridiculous lol

Alex/hill, max/justin, armen/charles, jiri/rakic are all great

None as great as Volk/topuira may be fair considering 5 year reigning, undefeated at FW p4p #2 champion vs undefeated monster prospect is hard to top

Who cares about a guy who hasn't won a fight in 6 years headlining a special event. god conor haters are his biggest supporters it's the weirdest thing.

Can't we all agree that the game has passed him by and he shouldn't be headlining huge events anymore? Stop putting him in that chair and he'll stop being that guy.
Love or hate him Conot still is a huge draw, guy even has AAA film production coming out

so the card is underwhelming because the fan base is retarded and wanted 55 year old fedor and retired khabib on it

What is real or not is irrelevant to people's expectations.

If people expect rib eye and lobster with lavacake, scotch and a rimjob for desert, they'll complain about just getting rib eye and lobster. That's life.
When the expectations are ridiculous you don't have to take them seriously. Best case scenario was either Conor fighting or Jones agreeing to come back and fight Aspinall. Those are the fights within the realm of possibility. And it definitely seems like they tried to make the latter happen. They even tried to make Aspinall v Stipe. This is literally the next best fight available besides those options.

It's the rightful #1 fighting #2 but keep in mind, Dana said that the main even to of UFC 300 would be "crazy" and that we wouldn't be able to handle it. So yeah, this is disappointing.

Back