Volkanovski Targets Topuria Rematch in Spain: 'I’m Going to Get That Belt Back'

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
240218volk.jpg

Alexander Volkanovski is maintaining a strong sense of resolve on the heels of his second consecutive knockout loss.

Volkanovski relinquished the featherweight title to Ilia Topuria in the UFC 298 headliner this past Saturday, as he succumbed to a devastating right hook from his opponent at the 3:32 mark of Round 2. The defeat ended a championship reign at 145 pounds that had lasted more than 1,500 days for the 35-year-old Australian.

In a video on his YouTube channel, Volkanovski assessed his performance, pointing out some of the positives that occurred before the decisive punch landed.

“This is a crazy game we play,” he said. “We can’t win them all. Sometimes you’re the hammer, sometimes you’re the nail. Last fight I was the nail; I’ve been the hammer many times. I’ve ruined a lot of people’s parties many times. [Saturday] night, Ilia got the job done.

“I thought I was doing great. I felt great in there. I think the judges had me up the first round, and I think I was starting to pick it up even more in the second,” Volkanovski continued. “I was ready to even go another level. I had him missing, I was starting to touch him, and I was going to start adding on, and he did a great job of getting me to the cage where we knew we didn’t want to be with someone like him.

“He got me there when I probably had better options than looking for a counter. After he backed me up there, he caught me. He did a great job to find that, a great shot, and that’s all you need in this sport.”

While Topuria has only been lukewarm regarding a potential rematch, Volkanovski seems to be intent on making it happen — and he’s willing to do so in the champion’s home country.

“Next time, it’ll be different, but I’m going to just have a little bit of a rest,” Volkanovski said. “I definitely want that rematch. Spain, what I’m hearing, is going to happen. Dana wants Spain, obviously Ilia wants Spain. That probably won’t be until later in the year.

If the spain card is in december, maybe, then he can have like 7 months off before even entering camp. If it's before that, though, I have zero interest in seeing volk rush back.

I rewatched the fight and honestly Volk was doing well and winning exchanges, it's just such a tough ask to go 25 minutes without getting touched on the chin against someone as accurate and powerful as Topuria. If he was younger and wasn't coming off 2 bad knockouts it would be much more intriguing but at his age and mileage its tough to see him recapturing it.

Volk has been an incredible athlete and tactician but I didn’t like how he looked out there. He did not look masterful, he didn’t look fully prepared. I don’t have a lot of confidence that he can change that in a rematch. Timing wise, it also feels either too early or too late to take him on again.

If the spain card is in december, maybe, then he can have like 7 months off before even entering camp. If it's before that, though, I have zero interest in seeing volk rush back.

Volk has been an incredible athlete and tactician but I didn’t like how he looked out there. He did not look masterful, he didn’t look fully prepared. I don’t have a lot of confidence that he can change that in a rematch. Timing wise, it also feels either too early or too late to take him on again.
Well rested Volk... in bed after Golden Girls ... wins rematch ;)

c6bcd3ae1bbd3b07b52191af7b563265

Topuria, probably, but if Volk mixes in takedowns and finds a way to prevent Topuria marching him down then he's got every chance.

Volk needs at least 6-9 months off by which time Topuria should have defended.

I'm not having the 'he's 35 so can't possibly win the belt back' and I'm not keen on the 'Topuria is better everywhere' stuff just because he's a heavy hitter with great boxing.

Pretty much this ^

And really I’d prefer Volk to take a good chunk of time out, space his fights out and go for needle moving fights to make the most of things, but doubt you can tell a warriour like that to take on this POV
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Rather have Max vs Topuria in Spain, let Volk have a fight against Movsar or have a long break.

Ilia had a fine little hunched shell -- it seemed like it was a matter of time as he could assert forward, then step back.

When it was time he went in and Volk had no Defense -- just bullied back into a defenseless state to be beautifully chin'ed.

I absolutely hated that moment when Volk crumpled.

Volk needs some time off and a better plan then a points war, if he's going after Ilia again.

He will need to fight flawlessly.

As we saw, one mistake is all it takes against Topuria.

Volk was also leaving his chin up in several of the exchanges prior to getting caught against the cage.

Hopefully they correct that if the rematch does happen, otherwise he will be playing the odds of getting slept again.

I doubt it. Especially with both him and his coach saying it was a lucky punch. Not at all the right mindset

that would be kind of wild to have this gold belt you’ve earned and walked around with and then you just have to hand it over. The other guy is rubbing on it like ahhhh

Back