Ilia Topuria Explains Why Alexander Volkanovski Will Be One of His 'Easier Fights'

Will this be Fight of the Year?

• Yes

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • Early FOTY

Votes: 18 28.6%

• Total voters
I just don't like Topuria because he wears turtlenecks.

Seriously though Topuria seems very basic and we haven't really seen him make technical adjustments in a fight. He seems to have some holes in his game as well. Josh Emett is a hard hitter but he is somewhat a limited Alpha Male fighter. It's hard to judge to see where Topuria is at within the division. He might be able to beat Volk but I can also see him getting steamrolled.

Dominating Emmett in a fight isn't finishing.

And Emmett isn't Volkanovsky.
Josh is a tough sob but he got the shit beat out of him that fight. Ryan Hall and Bryce Mitchell had never been finished until they fought Ilia. I get Ilia hasn't fought any real elites but he has smashed everyone he has fought. It should be a good fight. Btw 12 of Ilia's 14 wins have been finishes.

Does this guy ever stfu?!? I'm really hoping volk humbles him. I can't imagine a whole year of topuria`s mouth if he becomes champion

Does this guy ever stfu?!? I'm really hoping volk humbles him. I can't imagine a whole year of topuria`s mouth if he becomes champion
He's doing a good job hyping this fight up. Kudos to him. Putting alot on the line.

Topuria talking about strategy is strange since Volk is probably the best strategist in MMA right now.

If volk loses get ready for the
"Volk wasn't ever that good"
crowd on here lol

Ilia is going to put it on volk and he definitely won't fold like yair did (you notice right before the stoppage Yair got in a good shot and it seemed to piss volk off) and will come back at volk just as hard as volk goes in on him.

"The age of volkanovski is over, the time of the Ilia has come" Kenny Florian.

This is a really dumb thing for him to say. If Volk is an easy fight then beating him doesn't mean much. Ilia will just end up being the king of a pile of cans.

...from a lacerated guy....

Unless Volk starts to fade as he's aging in a division typically ruled by younger men, Topuria is more than likely going to get picked apart by Volkanovski who is a master tactician, utilizes footwork and timing better, and can diversify and adapt better than most. I expect him to win a clear decision over Ilia. Ilia is too flat footed and I'm not sure his cardio will hold up over 25 minutes. No disrespect to Ilia who is a very talented fighter, but Volkanovski just seems to be on a different level than everyone at Featherweight, with age, speed differential and the KO possibly being huge deciding factors in the fight.

Back