Volkanovski Targets Topuria Rematch in Spain: 'I’m Going to Get That Belt Back'

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
img_1_1708464952884.jpg

They've got a new star in Topuria, Volk could win, but not that likely. It would be a big fight given the context.

They could let Volk take out some contenders, but then he potentially details a hypetrain, or he loses and is considered a wash. Lose lose. Good for Volk, bad for the UFC.

I feel like the best decision for the UFC is just make the rematch. If Volk isn't holding the belt again, at least milk the rematch, let Topuria cement his place, and let Volk have no arguments about going to the back of the queue.

Alternatively, Volk wins, sets up a huge rematch, and remains as marketable as he ever was in the process, and one fight closer to retirement. Leaves Topuria with plenty of years to reclaim the belt (likely happens as soon as Volks out of the picture).

Volk gonna go the Ferguson route if he's not careful. I can't believe I'm actually saying that about volk. Crazy sport. I hate and love mma for this reason

Last edited:
I rewatched the fight and honestly Volk was doing well and winning exchanges, it's just such a tough ask to go 25 minutes without getting touched on the chin against someone as accurate and powerful as Topuria. If he was younger and wasn't coming off 2 bad knockouts it would be much more intriguing but at his age and mileage its tough to see him recapturing it.
Agreed but I think after the first 2 or 3 rounds his chances of knocking Volk out would have significantly diminished.

I am keen to see Topuria fight Max, just so the ‘Max easily outpoints , who is overrated’ crowd can be silenced.

Can he kick and jab in order to win 1-2 rounds on the scorecard?
Yes

Will he get knocked out again?
Also yes

Yea, that'll be a no from me. Instant rematches suck, especially with a concrete finish like what Topuria did to Volkanovski. I'm not even sold that Volkanovski lost due to age, he was looking good prior to losing and Topuria has been putting folks to sleep with his Boxing & power.

Topuria should fight either Holloway or the winner of Rodriguez/Ortega and Volkanovski should fight someone in the 5-10 in the FW rankings.

I believe he's still got it and fighting someone outside the top 5 will be a good confirmation to see if age is catching up.

Back