Alexander Volkanovski Plans to Make Ilia Topuria 'Eat Some of His Words' at UFC 298

Winner?

• Volk

Votes: 71 73.2%
  • Topuria

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
w640xh480_GettyImages-1342593073.jpg

Alexander Volkanovski has no shortage of motivation heading into his latest title defense at UFC 298.

Not only is the City Kickboxing standout coming off back-to-back losses to reigning lightweight king Islam Makhachev, but he will be facing a dangerous, undefeated challenger in Ilia Topuria. If he had gotten his way, Volkanovski would have faced Topuria even sooner.

“The good thing is about someone like that, I’m always trying to fight or find a No. 1 guy. A clear contender for me to face in this featherweight division and Ilia is it, right?” Volkanovski said on his YouTube channel. “He was the next, it’s clear. They signed the date. I actually wanted him straight after Yair [Rodriguez at UFC 290]. I told him come jump the fence and get a faceoff because he was undefeated. I didn’t want anyone else fighting him. I wanted to make sure I got a young, hungry undefeated guy that’s got hype around him.

“He likes to talk. So, it’s easy to get motivated for this, right? I need to do nothing to hype up this fight. Let him do the talking and I’ll do the walking February 17, 18 here in Australia. I’m gonna go work, humble him, and show the world again — remind them and let him know that he’s still got a way’s to go until he’s up at the top. I’m gonna show him that Feb. 17.”

Topuria has been supremely confident ahead of the matchup with Volkanovski. “El Matador,” who is undefeated in 14 professional appearances, recently forecast a first-round knockout of Volkanovski. The Australian champion has responded with a prediction of his own.

“Prediction is, I teach him a good lesson,” Volkanovski said. “He’s going to be embarrassed, he’s going to eat some of his words, and it’s going to be maybe be the start of his journey. Again, he’s young. He is confident. I’ll humble him. He’ll bounce back and start after I give him a good ass beating. Round 2, I think. I think I crumble him in the first.

This is actually tricky.

As a big fan of Volkanovski over many years, I am full of admiration for the fighter, for the man, the way he lives his life, he represents his country etc, and I am always rooting for him.

So... I HOPE Volk wins.

Here's the but.... Topuria is very very good. He is very dangerous as a fighter.
It would not surprise me if Topuria wins this fight, andm equally, it would not surprise me if Volkanovski wins this fight.

Topuria COULD get a 1st round TKO.
Volka COULD dominate Topuria.

I just don't know which will happen.
Either way, I doubt this is the last time these 2 fighters face each other.

Hope it's a classic.

Here are the current odds, damn close it would seem according to the bookies and I tend to agree with that :
Odds-TopVsVolk.jpg

This is actually tricky.

As a big fan of Volkanovski over many years, I am full of admiration for the fighter, for the man, the way he lives his life, he represents his country etc, and I am always rooting for him.

So... I HOPE Volk wins.

Here's the but.... Topuria is very very good. He is very dangerous as a fighter.
It would not surprise me if Topuria wins this fight, andm equally, it would not surprise me if Volkanovski wins this fight.

Topuria COULD get a 1st round TKO.
Volka COULD dominate Topuria.

I just don't know which will happen.
Either way, I doubt this is the last time these 2 fighters face each other.

Hope it's a classic.

Here are the current odds, damn close it would seem according to the bookies and I tend to agree with that :
View attachment 1029133
Age 35,
30 pro fights,
last 2 fights above his weight class
Did not take enough time off after a hard ko loss (if this was boxing he’d get a short medical suspension)

The combination of all these factors makes this an easy bet on Ilia.

Anyway, I expect a controversial annoyance and a rematch we wont get.

volk - max stalled the division but i would like mr dwarfanovski to stomp mcfluria just like he did bumir rodrigez

Volk has the speed, ringcraft, gameplanning, defensive wrestling, cardio, and title fight experience.

Topuria has the power, aggression, and length over Volk.

Barring Volk getting caught early, I think Volk should use his speed, IQ, and experience to win this.

Age 35,
30 pro fights,
last 2 fights above his weight class
Did not take enough time off after a hard ko loss (if this was boxing he’d get a short medical suspension)

The combination of all these factors makes this an easy bet on Ilia.

Anyway, I expect a controversial annoyance and a rematch we wont get.
Had plenty of time off and he wasn't out cold. Rugby League players only stand down for 10 from a concussion like that.

Back