With all due respect to the great Mike Tyson (also: About Awesome Kicks)

After many years of watching this sport, I can say this is the stuff that keeps me passionate. Seeing guys take risks, and not worrying about the takedown, and if they get taken down, they are active and often dangerous off their backs. Guys like Pettis, Barbosa, Aldo taking risks and throwing what's known to be low percentage moves and capitalizing big time off of them. Good post..

After many years of watching this sport, I can say this is the stuff that keeps me passionate. Seeing guys take risks, and not worrying about the takedown, and if they get taken down, they are active and often dangerous off their backs. Guys like Pettis, Barbosa, Aldo taking risks and throwing what's known to be low percentage moves and capitalizing big time off of them. Good post..

I don't think JDS really has to worry about Mark Hunt taking him down.

Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch! All is well on sherdog! If jds got the bonus you would be bitching about that! Just enjoy the mma we have going on until you fickle fans ruin that too!

I'm sure most people think JDS' KO was better, but TJ deserves a bonus for his as well. I got no problem with JDS, Hunt, and TJ all getting bonuses.

JDS barely landed his kick and finished it with the punches. TJ's KO was much more technically sound. TJ deserved it. Why don't you complain about something that is actually relevant?

It isn't a charity.

It isn't supposed to be an award to people who need the money more.

It is supposed to be an award for merit.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Because countless times, the bonuses have gone to people who deserved it less than others on a card. So why now, of all times, are people getting their panties in a wad over it? Because Tyson disagreed? Must have been pretty neck and neck for Dana to give Grant the bonus so easily just because Mikey had a contrary opinion. Money and merit are rarely monogamous in a business.

Good thread.
A lot of folks used to laugh at TMA striking methods regarding anything that wasn't muay thai.
Then along come things like Shonie Carter's spinning backfist, Machida's crane kick, Pettis's showtime kick, Anderson Silva's front kick, GSP's axe kick, Bendo's high TKD kicks, etc, and we have a whole new game.
The first thing a white belt learns in karate class is probably the kick Anderson used on Vitor, it's crazy. But of course, very hard to hit that on a fast opponent and catch them with the ball of the foot like that.

It really doesn't matter in the end, but it's quite amazing that probably JDS's best ever KO didn't win KOTN. Hell, it should be up for KOTY. That was spectacular, maybe better than Vitor's. I personally have it up there for KOTY, because I really never saw it coming, and doing it to someone like Mark Hunt is spectacular. The follow up punch was brutal too.

TJ had a great performance, and he probably should win KOTN any other event, but it really should have been JDS. Who cares in the end? JDS got what he really wanted, another title shot.

mIqrvmp.jpg

Ballot tampering.

It isn't a charity.

Agreed completely.

It isn't a charity.

This

How many times do you see a spinning wheel kick at HW in the 3rd round?

Why not give it to both? Fotn has been given out on multiple occasions for more than 1 fight.

This

How many times do you see a spinning wheel kick at HW in the 3rd round?

To a fighter who rarely uses kicks and is a primary boxer. He should have received both. And if Dana wanted to please Tyson, give Grant the KO bonus as well.
There's no rule against it, is there?

Is this seriously that big of a deal? It's not like everyone didn't know JDS' knockout was sick. Dudes most likely getting payed more than TJ with or without the KOTN or FOTN bonus.

Lol its not that back in the day guys thought they could just jab a guy trying to land wheel kick lol. Its because the fighters have evolved. Spinning kicks are apart of more fighters arsenals now because they have less fear of being put on their backs since their wrestling and bjj is a higher lever in general for the average fighter.

I agree that JDS should have been given the KO bonus. I mean, ANY man that KO's MARK fucking HUNT deserves a KO of the year award, throw in a spinning wheel kick, and well, that might be a KO of the century.

Back