With the coronavirus in mind, will you continue to roll?

As a Brit I watch a lot of american media and I believe the reason people are calling the Coronavirus a hoax is because there is a lot of BS on both sides in the American media.

There's just not a lot of truth telling going on.
That's probably true. It speaks volumes that many if not most people's initial reaction here is to be extremely skeptical of anything they hear in the news.

When this thread first posted, I said yes. Now it's no. When this thread was posted there felt like two categories: Those who panicked and those who dismissed it. I won't lie, I dismissed it. Now I don't. No it seems that a lot more people have a healthy concern of the virus, I just want it to be everyone

Everything has been shut down for a couple weeks already, no idea how long.

On the bright side we're massively lowering our carbon output.

Hadn't read this thread before today, its pretty eye-opening as somebody not based in the U.S. and hard to believe some of the absolute shite posted.

Is there anywhere else in the world where politics has led to this whole "made up by Liberal Media...Fake News" thing and people just ignoring or dismissing actual events happening on a global scale because it doesn't fit their own odd little narrative? Have news stations over there not been reporting what's happened in Italy, Spain and France the last few weeks and how most of Europe went in to an unprecedented lockdown last week in an attempt to try halt the spread of the virus?

You may be a tough guy but somebody in your family, social circle etc, is going to be in the most vulnerable group if you catch it and transmit it to them hence the idea to stay away from people. Its hardly complicated and its hardly some sort of Democrat plot or whatever guff was being spouted.

Presumably its trolling, nobody can be that thick surely?

We only have fake news and propaganda networks here for MSM. Italy and Spain are a hoax and Alex Jones has toothpaste that will cure the virus but he is being persecuted by our government and kept from telling people.

Hope that helps.

Yes people. You have to realize that we might not have bjj again for a long time. In fact, if it becomes a new respiratory ailment then we are all pretty much fucked and we can consider ourselves the last breed of bjj practitoners.

Okay but being the last breed of bjj practitioners sounds super cool like we are about to live out some cyberpunk dystopic fantasy

One thing this virus has revealed is that not everyone has proficiency in middle school math. People think cases are few in number so no big deal, but have no idea what an exponential curve looks like.

Worse are those who say the flu kills more. They don't even know how to multiply and take percentages.
thread closed
When people say the flu kills more people, it's a dumb thing to say because you're making assumptions about the death toll of the Coronavrius. You're assuming the coronavirus wont take anymore lives and aren't considering that it has still had a lot less time to develop than say the flu which has been around for far longer

Last edited:
You're a first responder, and you are nonchalant about potentially transmitting the virus to a vulnerable population, the people you are supposed to save. Great.

But it's ok, you work in the "health field" and know better. Better than what epidemiologists are saying. Better than all the cities totally shut down for no reason.
on the internet, anyone can claim to be anything without showing any proof

thread closed
When people say the flu kills more people, it's a dumb thing to say because you're making assumptions about the death toll of the Coronavrius. You're assuming the coronavirus wont take anymore lives and aren't considering that it has still had a lot less time to develop than say the flu which has been around since the beginning of time
The flu people are talking about originated in 1918, not the beginning of time. Fair mistake but not when you’re lecturing us on this shit

When this thread first posted, I said yes. Now it's no. When this thread was posted there felt like two categories: Those who panicked and those who dismissed it. I won't lie, I dismissed it. Now I don't. No it seems that a lot more people have a healthy concern of the virus, I just want it to be everyone
Personally, i think this whole thing gave the BJJ world a lot of perspective. Life is a lot bigger than BJJ or any other sport/activity/hobby. We get really caught up in this "journey" of ours but truth be told, everyone in the world has his/her own journey and sometimes sacrificing our own for the greater good is the correct thing to do.

Anyhow, on a BJJ related note, i'm sitting across the world from the US in Asia. Coronaviruses are nothing new in the country I'm in, and I've lived through SARS, H1N1, MERS, bird flu, swine flu etc. It seems seasonal at this point and truth be told, i think the US is gonna be once bitten twice shy. Most of the countries that were praised for doing well are currently dealing their 2nd wave now of folks coming back from severely infected countries. BJJ gyms are NOT closed over here but even if the numbers are low, i'm choosing to do my part to flatten the curve and skip training.

The flu people are talking about originated in 1918, not the beginning of time. Fair mistake but not when you’re lecturing us on this shit
I didnt know and I have fixed that now thanks
still my point remains, comparing the coronavirus to the flu is silly as the flu has been around for far longer and the coronavirus is still new which is important because the virus is highly contagious which grows exponentially with time

It's a huge mistake to focus only on the fatality rate of coronavirus. This is a new disease that we're still learning about. For example, it affects/kills men more than women - 70% vs 30%. It also can weirdly cause loss of your sense of smell and taste, even if you have no other symptoms.

But the scariest shit is that you may BARELY survive it. 1/5 of all coronavirus patients in the hospital are aged 20-40. You may not die, but you're seriously going to be fucked up. Doctors and nurses say that when they use ventilators on people, they have to use the MAX setting because your lungs are filling up with fluid so fast the ventilator barely keeps up. And you basically feel like you're drowning the entire time so patients are constantly trying to rip the ventilator out, so they have to tie their hands to the bed.

I don't know about you, but ALMOST drowning with your hands tied for weeks is the stuff of fucking nightmares. And IF you survive, there's a good chance you'll have permanent health issues because having your lungs filled with fluid for weeks will fuck them up.

i want @tekkenfan to ask us again if we remember the ebola outbreak in the US.

you know, the one where 11 people were infected and 2 died. because clearly this one is the same, with 55 thousand confirmed infected and 800 dead as of right now.

My gym is still open. Are your gyms closed or open?

Is it irresponsible for me to go train? I got a strange look from my roomate when I came home in my gi.

My coach bought one of those hand held temperature readers and scanned everyone before they stepped on the mats lol.

Gym is closed till at least april 3. I would train right now if I could. I'm about 1 day away from forcing my wife into an impromptu sparring session.

People like you really bug us in the field btw.

first of all, don’t even talk like you have an idea of what epidemiologists are saying because you read some news article.

here’s a copy and paste from a local 30-year ER physician :

PEOPLE STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

In my 30 year medical career I’ve never seen such out of proportion craziness. It’s the media and the social media’s emphasis and continuous reporting of mortality that’s got everybody up in arms.

Everybody needs to relax! I’ve got news for you... We are all were all going to die...

But not from the coronavirus!

You’re at least 50 times more likely to die in a car accident tomorrow than from the virus but people don’t put their cars up on blocks and stock up on toilet paper and stay home.

The NBA didn’t cancel driving to their events, though certainly more people died in their car on way to NBA events then will ever be killed by the coronavirus!

If you were constantly getting inundated with the news and statistics about automobile fatalities you might hesitate to drive your car to go pick your kids up from school.

Knowing that there were just 3287 deaths from auto accidents yesterday you might consider riding your bike to work today.

Accidents, strokes, heart attacks, cancer, pneumonia, flesh eating bacteria, influenza they’re all out there still! And if the media emphasized the mortality statistics every day it would paralyze people in fear, just like the frenzied reporting is doing with this relatively mild infection.

This is artificial panic based upon the extremely disproportionate presentation of mortality statistics. The number of deaths from coronavirus versus the population of the world is infinitesimally tiny. You will not die from coronavirus!

Yes the coronavirus can kill people and yes just like you know somebody, or know somebody who knows somebody who died from cancer this year you might end up knowing somebody who knows somebody who died from coronavirus. But ignore the reporting! It is unrealistic out of proportion fear that’s paralyzing us.

I guarantee you in two months or sooner we will be laughing at the insanity (if we didn’t destroy our economy and society in the insane frenzy.)

So stop the panic, wash your hands, buckle up, you will be fine!

Jeff
This post aged well.

This post aged well.

yeah, those aren’t my words but I’ll eat some crow and the sides for my initial stance. Got just under 100 of my coworkers at dfd had an exposure. Luckily for the most part those that became sick said symptoms were mild for them but that’s not the case for everyone. Had a couple pts myself but luckily while I was on the engine at the FD and not on the box at private so it was minimal.

Okay but being the last breed of bjj practitioners sounds super cool like we are about to live out some cyberpunk dystopic fantasy
It's gonna be like that movie about the last mailman, where the dude running everything had a wicked RNC and back takes

yeah, those aren’t my words but I’ll eat some crow and the sides for my initial stance. Got just under 100 of my coworkers at dfd had an exposure. Luckily for the most part those that became sick said symptoms were mild for them but that’s not the case for everyone. Had a couple pts myself but luckily while I was on the engine at the FD and not on the box at private so it was minimal.
It can take weeks for symptoms to be full blown.

Back