Khamzat Chimaev Unhappy With Dana White for Not Delivering Promised Title Shot

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
TYnAN7.gif

Khamzat Chimaev wants the title shot that was allegedly promised to him by Dana White.

Chimaev moved up to middleweight this past October, welcoming Kamaru Usman to the division on short notice at UFC 294.

“Borz” went on to score a tightly-contested majority decision win over the former welterweight champ. While the outing marked only his third middleweight win under the Ultimate Fighting Championship banner, the Chechen claims to have been guaranteed a title shot by the UFC CEO for his next outing.

Chimaev was expecting to face the winner of Sean Strickland vs. Dricus Du Plessis at UFC 297 on Saturday. However, Du Plessis called out Israel Adesanya after dethroning Strickland and “The Last Stylebender” has also expressed interest in that bout.

While “Borz” still hasn’t given up hope of fighting for the title next, he made clear that he isn’t happy with recent developments.

“They promised me after Usman fight, ’You will for sure going to fight for the title,' and I win that fight,” he told ESPN. “I don’t know what’s going on. I heard Dana White say stuff like ‘I don’t think Khamzat is next for the title.’ That’s bulls—t man.

“If you promised me something, you have to answer for your words. I’m the guy who always answers for my words, so I don’t care if it’s some president or somebody, like a king. If you give me your word, you have to answer for that. So, I grow up, when I give word, you have to answer for it… We’re doing that. I will be happy to answer for my words about killing them man, so we’ll see. Maybe in the USA it’s a different mentality.

Now, just to make sure this is all out there and accurate. Did Dana publicly state that Khamzat would get a title shot for beating Usman?

Cuz if it was some backstage speak, or if Dana said Khamzat would get the shot with a win  before Costa was replaced then I could see Khamzat just being confused.

Sure doesn't deserve one though, so let's be worried about those Dana White Promises(tm)

No, either give the next title shot to Izzy or Cannonier. Khamzat should have to beat a top 10 MW for a title shot like everyone else has to.

100% do not give Cannonier a title shot. Dudes old, dude already lost a title shot where he looked like shit, got styled on by Rob and most thought he lost to Strickland. Dude is 4-1 or 2-1 in his last 3 and 5. Just no. Izzy needs a win, can't get two immediate title shots off losses in like 18 months time.

But someone's gotta fight Dricus, either Izzy or Khamzat I think. If they do the Strickland rematch, whatever. Khamzst should face either Izzy or Cannonier next if no title shot, which I'm okay with him needing another W.

Wait, so has the next title bout been revealed? A quick browse of the forum doesn't indicate it is, so either I'm blind or Khamzat is just whining ahead of time (about a title shot he didn't earn).

100% do not give Cannonier a title shot. Dudes old, dude already lost a title shot where he looked like shit, got styled on by Rob and most thought he lost to Strickland. Dude is 4-1 or 2-1 in his last 3 and 5. Just no. Izzy needs a win, can't get two immediate title shots off losses in like 18 months time.

But someone's gotta fight Dricus, either Izzy or Khamzat I think. If they do the Strickland rematch, whatever. Khamzst should face either Izzy or Cannonier next if no title shot, which I'm okay with him needing another W.
Izzy isn't champion anymore and Whittaker lost his last fight so i can't hold those losses against him cause he looks just as good as ever while Izzy and Whittaker look like they might be on the decline.

Besides Izzy and Whittaker are getting old too especially in fight mileage. Most actually had Cannonier beating Strickland, I though most favored Strickland too but I checked the media scorecards and about 2/3rds of them had it for Cannonier. Cannonier being old while still performing well like he did against Vettori is IMO a better reason to give him a title shot now while he's on a winning streak and before he declines. Plus your logic doesn't make sense when you suggest Izzy who got dominated by Strickland who lost a very close fight to Cannonier so he's obviously championship level and he just doesn't match up well with Izzy and Whittaker like how Izzy doesn't match up well with Sean.

Last edited:
No, either give the next title shot to Izzy or Cannonier. Khamzat should have to beat a top 10 MW for a title shot like everyone else has to.
I’d rather see Chimaev than Izzy or Cannonier, personally. Just seem more inferring.

Let Khazmat put in real work, I am getting tired of this guy jumping around trying to get title shots on tweets and rise in his popularity. If he were such a badass he would give Usman a real camp and prove he's truly the better fighter.

Back