Who wins if they fight?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
UFC-294-Jared-Cannonier-vs.-Khamzat-Chimaev.png

Jared Cannonier is willing to rebook the Khamzat Chimaev fight if he is guaranteed a title shot next.

While Cannonier was offered a short-notice booking against Chimaev at UFC 294, “The Killa Gorilla” suffered an MCL tear in practice shortly after getting the call. Chimaev welcomed former welterweight champ Kamaru Usman to middleweight instead, edging out a majority decision win.

“Borz” claims to have been guaranteed a title shot with a win over Usman and has voiced his frustration about the delay in proceedings. However, Cannonier believes he also has a legitimate claim to title contention and wouldn’t mind taking on Chimaev in a No. 1 contender fight.

“It’ll sound cool to say, ‘I’m your huckleberry.’ It does sound cool,” Cannonier told Inside Fighting. “At this point in time, he’s ranked No. 9. I’m down to make it happen, as long as it’s clear that this is a contender's match. … When I get back, if they’re not going to give me the title [shot, then I want] the next best thing, the thing that gets me to the title. And if you say that’s Khamzat, let’s do it.”

Chimaev has recently shown a tendency to slow down in the later rounds due to his relentless pace and pressure. As a result, Cannonier would prefer 25 minutes on the clock against the undefeated Chechen.

“They really want to push him to the title,” Cannonier said. “He really wants to get to the title, and I’m right here. I shouldn’t have to say, ‘Hey, I want a title shot.’ It’s clear and evident that the ass I’ve been kicking says that I want the title shot. So, if it’s not going to be the title next, I will definitely fight the next guy in line. And if it’s Khamzat, let’s make that happen. Let’s do a fiver – let’s see what he’s got in five rounds.”

I think that's fair, not like Khamzat really earned it and Jared is coming off wins over Strickland and Vettori so if anything he should be ahead in the title picture. I think Khamzat smokes him though.

I like it, let's see some violence.​

Winner... Cannonier handily derails the hype-twitter-train.

Will it happen? It was supposed to. I would have said not likely after the Usman match and what was supposedly attached to it. But... We all know Dana and his word on 'Title Shots". Makes me wonder of the "promised" how many delivered? Now I think it may be more likely but I doubt Kham wants it. However these words ring true to most fighters I'd imagine.

"When I get back, if they’re not going to give me the title [shot, then I want] the next best thing, the thing that gets me to the title. And if you say that’s Khamzat, let’s do it.”

So Kham may buckle and take it. Great scrap and test for both. Think I'd still favor Kham but as most fights I really never decide till day before/day of.

<{titihmm}>

Too bad number 1 and/or title eliminator fights don't exist in the ufc

Too bad number 1 and/or title eliminator fights don't exist in the ufc

It's subject to change like everything in the sport of course but in recent memory the Brunson vs Cannonier fight, Burns vs Muhammad and the upcoming Oliveira vs Tsarukayan were all declared title eliminators before the fights happened.

I like it, let's see some violence.​

Winner... Cannonier handily derails the hype-twitter-train.
Why even fight Khamzat? Win means nothing since Khamzat is nothing but hype. If Khamzat beats him though, why even continue in MMA?

Can't even beat a hypetrain who isn't even good! Still not sure why Usman and Burns haven't retired.

Back