Robert Whittaker: No controversy regarding #UFC297 headliner scoring

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
Robert_whittaker.jpg

While many have opined that the UFC 297 main event clash between Sean Strickland and Dricus Du Plessis could have been scored either way, Robert Whittaker (24-7) disagrees.

Strickland (28-6) looked to defend his middleweight strap against du Plessis (21-2) at UFC 297 in Toronto last weekend. While the American looked impeccable in the opening frame, “Stillknocks” made adjustments as the fight progressed to rope in a closely-contested split decision win.

However, fans and pundits alike were divided on the scoring of the fight. Even Ultimate Fighting Championship CEO Dana White and color commentator Joe Rogan had Strickland winning.

However, Whittaker said du Plessis won every round except the first. The former middleweight champ saw du Plessis as the hungrier fighter, which he finds praiseworthy.

“I don’t know why it’s controversial,” Whittaker declared on his “MMArcade” podcast. “I’ve seen a lot of other fighters and even Dana White himself saying he didn’t think he won the fight. In my opinion, I thought he won the fight. I don’t like blurring the lines, but I will say congratulations to Dricus because he wanted it. … I said he’s a big, strong guy, and he’s awkward as hell to fight.

“But one of his things is he goes out on his shield. He’s not going to go away. He will not give up. He’ll need to leave that Octagon on a stretcher, and that’s exactly what he did. That’s exactly what he showed. I will say congratulations to the new champ because he wanted it more.”

Whittaker suffered an upset Round 2 technical knockout loss against du Plessis in his last outing, which earned the South African a title shot. Looking at du Plessis’ latest performance at UFC 297, Whittaker acknowledges that he underestimated “Stillknocks.”

It was a super close fight, so I'm not gonna come unhinged with the decision. I had it 2-2 going into the 5th, and thought Sean eeked it out at the end.

But those middle rounds (2&3) were a toss up, depending on what one was counting in the overall score.

I had trouble scoring it, so I wasn't leaning towards one fighter or the other. It was a close fight, it went the way it did and it isn't unhappening. Step 1 is acceptance.
I had trouble scoring it too a little, but since I had a life and death AV bet on the line my brain was highly skewed. This lose doesn't count against my unblemished record though, I'm like the Sean O'Malley of Sherdog.

Last edited:
I had trouble scoring it too a little, but since I had a life and death AV bet on the line my brain was highly skewed. This lose doesn't count against my I'm blemish record, I'm like the Sean O'Malley of Sherdog.
I noticed it, on Sunday, I think it was. I knew the score lol. I'm sorry, bud

Do you agree with Bobby Knuckles , DDP won?
How did you score the fight?

Yup, scored it for DDP but easily can see it going to DeSean.

<GinJuice>

But we all know fighters and picking fights. They are no better than Sherdawgers... Often far far worse.

<6>

Back