UFC Fight Night 179: Holm vs. Aldana

who finishes who though? All I see is condit sub, McGee is a decision machine

I could see Condit by tko or sub, Court has looked TERRIBLE for as long as I can remember now and his game just seems so basic, just clinch/grind/wrestle, but his cardio doesn't look so great either. I think a TKO is more likely than a SUB to be honest, Condit hasn't subbed anyone in a really long time. While his ground game is good, he used to sub a lot of guys off of his back, and I just feel like the sport has progressed to the point where you can no longer rely on the ability to hit subs off of your back. Condit also has possibly the worst takedown defense in mma, which is probably because he still thinks he can sub people off of his back (which he hasn't been able to do since 2008.) He hasn't subbed anyone since he entered the UFC, all of his finishes are by tko and Court has never been submitted either. Overall though, I think playing ITD is mostly based off of the fact that both guys seem pretty shot, and Court seems to have been wobbled a lot recently if I am remembering that correctly, although I did not do any tape study of Court Mcgee because ugh, who the hell would subject themselves to that?

Williams coming into the fight after a knee injury... says it's at 90%

i must be the only person who thinks the fights are gonna be fun as heck tonight.

kenney/alatengheili
air jourdain/culibao
condit/mcgee
GDR/Pena
Yorgan/felipe

all of these fights have potential to be bangers

I could see Condit by tko or sub, Court has looked TERRIBLE for as long as I can remember now and his game just seems so basic, just clinch/grind/wrestle, but his cardio doesn't look so great either. I think a TKO is more likely than a SUB to be honest, Condit hasn't subbed anyone in a really long time. While his ground game is good, he used to sub a lot of guys off of his back, and I just feel like the sport has progressed to the point where you can no longer rely on the ability to hit subs off of your back. Condit also has possibly the worst takedown defense in mma, which is probably because he still thinks he can sub people off of his back (which he hasn't been able to do since 2008.) He hasn't subbed anyone since he entered the UFC, all of his finishes are by tko and Court has never been submitted either. Overall though, I think playing ITD is mostly based off of the fact that both guys seem pretty shot, and Court seems to have been wobbled a lot recently if I am remembering that correctly, although I did not do any tape study of Court Mcgee because ugh, who the hell would subject themselves to that?

I'm on Condit big but Court still has great cardio, and took it to a legit prospect in a recent fight.

If anything Condit has shown that he's slowing down, simply throwing subs from his back now seemingly slows him down

What do you guys think of the following parlay?

2k on Casey Kenney to win + Jourdain by KO, TKO, SUB or DQ?

Kenney is pretty good. Beat Borg, Smolka and a few others. His opponent fought a lot in Road FC, but his competition weren't as good. He has not fought the same level as Kenney.

Jourdain also has a lot more experience than his opponent and against way better competition. I like the finish bet on Jourdain because of the expected skill discrepancy, and also because Jourdain has 10 wins, but none of them have been by decision. He's definitely a finisher.

I'll probably bet throughout the night with live bets, but this my main one.

Thoughts?

What's up fellas, just gonna give thoughts on a couple fights.

Holm has turned into a TD machine lately, the days of her being content to strikie on the outside are over imo. I think we see D 1 Holly using a lot of clinchwork against the cage, then level changes for TD's. I think she's comfortable with her top control, and is gonna look to grind her way to a decision via grappling. And I think she has enough cardio and grappling ability to do it. I also think that even at her age, she's just plain and simple the physically stronger fighter. I think her dec line is something like +150? That has value imo. I think she wins a dec over 50% of the time here unless she's truly gotten old overnight (possible but very unlikely imo).

I'm also pretty stunned that there are those playing Condit. Man, nobody was a bigger fan of NBK than I was back in his prime. I think he should have won the belt vs Lawler, and even going farther back to his WEC days the guy was just awesome to watch. A true finisher who was dangerous everywhere. But those days are LONG gone. It doesn't seem like he's in it for anything other than a paycheck these days. Even putting aside the fact that he seems to be overmatched on the ground by anyone who wants to take him down, he also looks slow and disinterested standing. He just looks like a guy in there trying to survive and not get embarrassed, not a guy who thinks he can win (or is even putting in max effort to try to win). Maybe that's too harsh, but it's how he's looked. McGee has never been anything special, a grinder who's tough as hell to finish (only one stoppage loss, to Ponz). And he's likely slowing down too. But, he still seems to have more left than Condit. Maybe by a wide margin. He clearly lost to Brady, but he fought to the end, never looking for a way out. I just can't say the same about Condit right now. And even though McGee's wrestling is just so-so, everyone can take Condit down. I think Court will, and I think he'll land some gnp when he does. I would not be shocked at all to see McGee get a finish, which is incredibly rare for him. That's just how done I think Condit may be. And even if McGee doesn't finish, I think he can easily win rounds by being on top or just being better in the clinch and landing inside shots while he holds Condit against the cage. I don't know the lines really other than that the ML is close, but I think betting McGee itd at probably +400 to +500 (I'm just guessing those are the odds) or McGee -3.5 make sense.

What do you guys think of the following parlay?

2k on Casey Kenney to win + Jourdain by KO, TKO, SUB or DQ?

Kenney is pretty good. Beat Borg, Smolka and a few others. His opponent fought a lot in Road FC, but his competition weren't as good. He has not fought the same level as Kenney.

Jourdain also has a lot more experience than his opponent and against way better competition. I like the finish bet on Jourdain because of the expected skill discrepancy, and also because Jourdain has 10 wins, but none of them have been by decision. He's definitely a finisher.

I'll probably bet throughout the night with live bets, but this my main one.

Thoughts?

I like it and have a double on this myself for way less money.

I think Jourdain gets a finish and Kenney likely wins a dominant decision with his grappling, but could snag a submission too. I've got Kenney in a couple of prop accumulators by decision just because I think it's his most likely path, but wouldn't be hugely surprised by a finish, his grappling is relentless.

This card is very frustrating, since there a lot of fights determined by factors we're not privy to. Specifically, all 3 female bouts;

Loma Lookboonme vs. Jin Yuh Frey:

We know what Frey is capable of. Loma, however, is an unknown quantity. She showed a lot of improvement in every faucet of the game against Albu and then even more against Hill. That last fight wasn't bad either; after Hill clearly won round 1, round 2 and round 3 were each very close and a case could easily be made for Loma winnning either one. I had it 29-28 Hill, but either 30-27 hill or 29-28 Loma were reasonable scorecards, too.

Loma looks visibly bigger and stronger, is adaptating more to MMA, has developed her boxing, etc.

Frey at small plus odds isn't at all appealing. The idea that she is going to out-grapple Loma is a pipe dream, as her wrestling is poor and she looks especially weak in the clinch. Maybe Frey wins a razor-thin decision, but under no circumstances do I think it's a clear, decisive victory. That might be good value at +200, but not at +130.

At the same time, Loma, if she DOESN'T improve since the Hill fight, won't win convincingly either, and that's no fun at any minus odds. So it's a fight hinging on how much Loma has improved, if at all.

GDR-Pena

We know roughly where GDR is as a fighter. Pena, however, is a complete mystery. If this was the same Pena that beat Zingano and was taking down Valentina Shevchenko in their fight, she would be great value at her plus numbers.

But is it? She was far less muscular and her grappling looked much weaker against Montano. However, that was 15 months ago, on short notice, and she was quasi-retired.

If she regains her form (let alone added a few skills), which is very possible given that she is only 31, there is value on her. If it's the same Pena from the Montano fight, however, there is probably value on GDR at small minus numbers.

Props to the people who got GDR at plus numbers, as that's likely value either way, but again, we don't know.

Holm-Aldana

Holm is nearly 39. Her striking is slower, she throws less, and her cardio isn't as impressive as it used to be. I don't think highly of Aldana at all, but if you're not willing to stand and trade with Pennington, and look worse when you do, the same will be true with Aldana.

Holm from a few years ago at -120 or so would have elicited a 5u bet against this version of Aldana? Now? It's unclear. Again, just depends how much of a drop-off there is with Holm.

At the same time, what has Aldana done to play her at tiny plus numbers? She looked very even striking with Bethe Correia of all people, lost a close fight due to bad decision-making against Pennington, and was then looking even striking with Ketlen Vieira of all people (who was even worse then than she was against Eubanks recently) until hitting her with the best punch of her life.

Holm-Aldana

Holm is nearly 39. Her striking is slower, she throws less, and her cardio isn't as impressive as it used to be. I don't think highly of Aldana at all, but if you're not willing to stand and trade with Pennington, and look worse when you do, the same will be true with Aldana.

Holm from a few years ago at -120 or so would have elicited a 5u bet against this version of Aldana? Now? It's unclear. Again, just depends how much of a drop-off there is with Holm.

At the same time, what has Aldana done to play her at tiny plus numbers? She looked very even striking with Bethe Correia of all people, lost a close fight due to bad decision-making against Pennington, and was then looking even striking with Ketlen Vieira of all people (who was even worse then than she was against Eubanks recently) until hitting her with the best punch of her life.

I think you're not giving Holly enough credit, but I also know why. She's very deceptive.

Yes, Holly is old, but she's fit as fuck. She has far more gas than a lot of the girls 10 years younger than her. Don't over look this. I expect she'll have more in the tank later in the fight than Aldana will.

Holly chose not to stand and trade with Pennington. She clinched her way to the easiest win of her life. All this proves to me is that she has good fight IQ and knows how to follow a gameplan. Another fight she proved her smarts in was against Megan Anderson. Absolutely no fucking around from Holly. Just exploited a weakness and never deviated from the plan.

And yeah, Aldana is a threat on the feet for sure. You mention she was even striking against Ketlen, but I remember Ketlen beating her ass for the whole round and almost finishing. Haven't watched that since it happened, so I could be remembering it wrong. I don't remember Aldana having anything on the feet for Ketlen other than the flash KO left. Either way, Ketlen's striking sucks and a good striker shouldn't look so bad against her.

Back to Holly and her IQ and game planning: I don't think Holly will look to play much on the feet with Aldana. She would have seen how Evinger wore Aldana down with the grappling for an easy win. I expect her to try and follow the same plan.

I think you're not giving Holly enough credit, but I also know why. She's very deceptive.

Oh, I'm giving Holly plenty of credit.

I made a nice profit betting Holly by decision against Pennington in their rematch when many were going with Rocky and I also bet a ton on Nunes inside the distance against Holly, when many thought Holly would hear the final bell. I have a very good handle on her strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, Holly is old, but she's fit as fuck. She has far more gas than a lot of the girls 10 years younger than her. Don't over look this. I expect she'll have more in the tank later in the fight than Aldana will.

Unfortunately, being physically fit isn't going to magically make your respiratory or cardio system on the inside of you 10 years younger.

but I remember Ketlen beating her ass for the whole round and almost finishing. Haven't watched that since it happened, so I could be remembering it wrong.

You're remembering it very wrong indeed.

She would have seen how Evinger wore Aldana down with the grappling for an easy win. I expect her to try and follow the same plan.

As unimpressed as I am with Aldana, she is 5 times the fighter she was when she faced Evinger. Not to mention that version of Evinger, while less physically fit and strong than Holm, did have better wrestling skills.

Oh, I'm giving Holly plenty of credit.

I made a nice profit betting Holly by decision against Pennington in their rematch when many were going with Rocky and I also bet a ton on Nunes inside the distance against Holly, when many thought Holly would hear the final bell. I have a very good handle on her strengths and weaknesses.

Unfortunately, being physically fit isn't going to magically make your respiratory or cardio system on the inside of you 10 years younger.

You're remembering it very wrong indeed.

As unimpressed as I am with Aldana, she is 5 times the fighter she was when she faced Evinger. Not to mention that version of Evinger, while less physically fit and strong than Holm, did have better wrestling skills.

Fair enough. I'm not on this one. Might do it live.

I guess I do remember Ketlen vs Aldana wrong. I thought Ketlen was destroying her lol.

I still think Holly's fitness and cardio is really good, but it has to give out sooner or later.

Aldana definitely has improved like you say.

Hope it comes in easy for you, mate.

So, I thought Holly would be fitter, but not that much. Fuck me, Holly was fighting off the back foot for almost all 5 rounds. Even turned it up at the very end lol.

The woman is a beast. Crazy physique an cardio.

So, I thought Holly would be fitter, but not that much. Fuck me, Holly was fighting off the back foot for almost all 5 rounds. Even turned it up at the very end lol.

The woman is a beast. Crazy physique an cardio.

Yeah, she looked great. In fact, arguably the best fight start to finish of her entire MMA career, right up there with the Rousey upset. Not what one would expect of a nearly 39 year-old, either.

Back