Elections Larry Elder vs Gavin Newsom

Who will win the recall election?

• Total voters
And this is all because of Democrats? Geography has nothing to do with any of these issues?

How would less government and Republican policies address these issues?
The fix I've seen on the right to address the homeless is to throw them in jail.

Not necessarily because of Democrats, but what has Gavin done to fix anything?

The water situation is worse and there is almost no forest management. The state absolutely hemorrhages money on these fires every year and instead of putting some of that money toward management to prevent fires, they just piss money away on putting fires out. I've worked some of these fires and the amount of money spent is absolutely insane. He's in bed with PG&E so not only do we have a shitty electrical grid but we have one that causes fires and kills people. Not only that but it makes it incredibly expensive to live anywhere outside of town because fire insurance premiums have gone through the roof.

Let’s be real, @Revolver would’ve been cool with having Trump removed, If there was a recall process for the presidency during his term. Now imagine using his argument against him in that case. He would be making the same points you are now
Zzzzzzzzz

What sinking are you expecting? Maybe we can make a bet if you have a concrete prediction.
Crime rates skyrocketing, Water being shut off, annual power shut downs, constant fires and homes burning down. What kind of bet do you want to make because all of this is going to happen. It has been for the past five years

I think it sends a bad message for politicians to feel like they cant lose their job. Same as it sends a bad message for a shitty employee to feel like they cant be fired.

What it cost is a drop in the bucket to the money pissed away by Newsom & Co. But ya, still shocked anyone thought there was a chance of him losing lol.

The main problem with the recall elections as Cali does them, is that they let allow for potentially unelectable candidates get in with just a plurality of votes.
If you want to have recalls ok, but then the person taking over should either be the next guy in line (lieutenant-governor) or there should be a special runoff election done after the recall to elect a person who is actually able to get a majority of votes.

I'm not defending Newsom, or all of California's policies. There's a lot of shit that needs fixing in California. No one would argue against that.
But people act like the problems of California are simple, or as if every state has these things to deal with.

I don't like Newsom , but I also don't see how less government fixes the problems with the environment or the homeless.
Newsome gets so much of our taxes. And doesn’t put the money towards fixing the problems, Like he claims he is doing. All of these institutions keeps springing up but the problems get worse

Not necessarily because of Democrats, but what has Gavin done to fix anything?

The water situation is worse and there is almost no forest management. The state absolutely hemorrhages money on these fires every year and instead of putting some of that money toward management to prevent fires, they just piss money away on putting fires out. I've worked some of these fires and the amount of money spent is absolutely insane. He's in bed with PG&E so not only do we have a shitty electrical grid but we have one that causes fires and kills people. Not only that but it makes it incredibly expensive to live anywhere outside of town because fire insurance premiums have gone through the roof.

As I was saying, I'm not defending Newsom. I agree with the problems that you listed.
But the choice is Newsom or a Larry Elder.
I agree a billion percent that Newsom sucks and could be doing a lot more things, but I also think Elder would do a worse job. I don't see how Republicans idea of governance works in a place like California, especially when you're talking about the environment, and other social issues. As bad as a job as Newsom does, I don't see how a Republican would do better if their plans just consist of cutting taxes and regulations, and leaving things up to the fates and Darwin.

Despite the pointlessness of it, I'm actually okay with the recall just because it puts Newsom on notice. Hopefully it'll force him to address some issues.

Newsome gets so much of our taxes. And doesn’t put the money towards fixing the problems, Like he claims he is doing. All of these institutions keeps springing up but the problems get worse
I'm all for holding Newsome accountable, and putting in better leadership----I"m not for trying something new for the sake of something new, especially when that something new is Larry Elder.

True. I meant more in the sense of how Republicans and Democrats traditionally think of government.
Letting "the free market" handle the environment, and locking up the homeless don't sound like good plans to me.

If Republicans' "free market" rhetoric were sincere, I think they'd be all over housing deregulation in CA, and they could actually win votes that way. But the rhetoric is just a cover for pro-oligarchy. Similar to how the "populist" president's only major legislative accomplishment was a huge tax cut for rich people and big corporations, and he also added tariffs (raising costs for regular Americans to boost a few big businesses).

I'm all for holding Newsome accountable, and putting in better leadership----I"m not for trying something new for the sake of something new, especially when that something new is Larry Elder.

You realize there were other people running right?

And Larry elder is most definitely not worse than Newsom. Please. What would Larry do worse than Newsom?

So he was joking when he said this...

No, he was using an analogy to demonstrate his point. Context matters. If you think he literally believes that slave owners should he compensated you're either being dishonest or just ignorant. Most of the times it's the latter because people just see the quote snip in headlines/articles.

As I was saying, I'm not defending Newsom. I agree with the problems that you listed.
I agree a billion percent that Newsom sucks and could be doing a lot more things, but I also think Elder would do a worse job. I don't see how Republicans idea of governance works in a place like California, especially when you're talking about the environment, and other social issues. As bad as a job as Newsom does, I don't see how a Republican would do better if their plans just consist of cutting taxes and regulations, and leaving things up to the fates and Darwin.

Despite the pointlessness of it, I'm actually okay with the recall just because it puts Newsom on notice. Hopefully it'll force him to address some issues.

I don't have faith in any of our normal politicians to do much about anything worthwhile but if you've got a guy who has proven to not be helping with the most important issues of the state, then it's only natural to want him out to see if the next in line will do anything.

At worst Elder does nothing to help and at best maybe I'm allowed to keep a little more money in my pocket.

Crime rates skyrocketing, Water being shut off, annual power shut downs, constant fires and homes burning down. What kind of bet do you want to make because all of this is going to happen. It has been for the past five years

I don't expect crime rates to rise (aside from normal year-to-year fluctuation), and you're wrong that it's been skyrocketing for the past five years. It's going to continue to get hotter (and more volatile) so not sure I'd bet against forest fires, though it's kind of silly to blame the governor for that. We'll continue to see strong economic growth (disagree?) and lower unemployment. Assuming Newsom signs SB9 and SB10 (and he loses my support if not), we'll also see a big improvement in homelessness, though it might have a lag of a couple of years.

In what sense does Newsom "suck"? And I actually think the resounding defeat of the recall should give him more confidence. Looks like he's a lock for re-election.

Did he ever say that it is this just a lie repeated enough?

I think it was on Candace Owens show. He's against reparations for slavery and his arguments tend to be along the lines of where does it stop, and who makes the decisions, coupled with "it would be impossible to sort it all out" as the cherry in top.

So he said "You could make the argument" that slave owners had legal property (at the time), that was taken from them and thus were owed compensation. He doesn't believe it, hence why he prefaced the statement with "You could make the argument", but he's using it as an analogy to demonstrate why the reparations argument fails.

It's one of those things that's obvious to anyone without an agenda.

I don't expect crime rates to rise (aside from normal year-to-year fluctuation), and you're wrong that it's been skyrocketing for the past five years. It's going to continue to get hotter (and more volatile) so not sure I'd bet against forest fires, though it's kind of silly to blame the governor for that. We'll continue to see strong economic growth (disagree?) and lower unemployment. Assuming Newsom signs SB9 and SB10 (and he loses my support if not), we'll also see a big improvement in homelessness, though it might have a lag of a couple of years.
The fires aren’t due to climate change. I have a brother who’s been fighting them for the past four years. And has the two biggest fires in California history on his resume. The reason behind these fires are due to the governor not issuing controlled burns on a regular basis, allowing for the forestry to grow out of control.

I don't have faith in any of our normal politicians to do much about anything worthwhile but if you've got a guy who has proven to not be helping with the most important issues of the state, then it's only natural to want him out to see if the next in line will do anything.

At worst Elder does nothing to help and at best maybe I'm allowed to keep a little more money in my pocket.

I understand the wish to want him gone, but that's how we got Trump. (I don't know/remember where you are on your support of him)
And that isn't worth it to me. I'd much rather focus on getting better candidates than hoping random shock jocks do better.
"At worst" Elder can do a lot more than nothing, especially when it comes to things like the environment and social policies. It can take years to unravel and undo things.

It won't put him on notice. He will consider this an approval of his actions thus far. More of the same to come.

The fires aren’t due to climate change. I have a brother who’s been fighting them for the past four years. And has the two biggest fires in California history on his resume. The reason behind these fires are due to the governor not issuing controlled burns on a regular basis, allowing for the forestry to grow out of control.

Well, if it's that simple, obviously you should expect it to be fixed. Realistically, it's not, though.

It won't put him on notice. He will consider this an approval of his actions thus far. More of the same to come.

Definitely a strong stay-the-course message from the voters.

I understand the wish to want him gone, but that's how we got Trump. (I don't know/remember where you are on your support of him)
And that isn't worth it to me. I'd much rather focus on getting better candidates than hoping random shock jocks do better.
"At worst" Elder can do a lot more than nothing, especially when it comes to things like the environment and social policies. It can take years to unravel and undo things.

I voted for Trump and I was happy with most of his policies until covid and the stimulus packages.

There aren't going to be better Democratic candidates for California. Only what the machine allows to be presented for the people.

Back