Robert Whittaker: No controversy regarding #UFC297 headliner scoring

They don't know what the hell they're watching!

It WAS scored either way by the judges.

I think it could be scored 49-46 either way, but 48-47 either way is more reasonable.

48-47 Du Plessis is the most reasonable though

Du Plessis 2 3 4

2, 3, 4 for DDP. I've seen so many people talk about how DDP didn't have much control time after the takedowns but they always seem to forget all the good shots he landed on Strickland every time he was getting up. So those takedowns were leading to damage, just not from GnP.

I had Strickland 1,3,5 but it was a close fight and who gives a fuck at this point anyway? It's in the books and done, no point harping on about the decision.
200.gif

Robert_whittaker.jpg

While many have opined that the UFC 297 main event clash between Sean Strickland and Dricus Du Plessis could have been scored either way, Robert Whittaker (24-7) disagrees.

Strickland (28-6) looked to defend his middleweight strap against du Plessis (21-2) at UFC 297 in Toronto last weekend. While the American looked impeccable in the opening frame, “Stillknocks” made adjustments as the fight progressed to rope in a closely-contested split decision win.

However, fans and pundits alike were divided on the scoring of the fight. Even Ultimate Fighting Championship CEO Dana White and color commentator Joe Rogan had Strickland winning.

However, Whittaker said du Plessis won every round except the first. The former middleweight champ saw du Plessis as the hungrier fighter, which he finds praiseworthy.

“I don’t know why it’s controversial,” Whittaker declared on his “MMArcade” podcast. “I’ve seen a lot of other fighters and even Dana White himself saying he didn’t think he won the fight. In my opinion, I thought he won the fight. I don’t like blurring the lines, but I will say congratulations to Dricus because he wanted it. … I said he’s a big, strong guy, and he’s awkward as hell to fight.

“But one of his things is he goes out on his shield. He’s not going to go away. He will not give up. He’ll need to leave that Octagon on a stretcher, and that’s exactly what he did. That’s exactly what he showed. I will say congratulations to the new champ because he wanted it more.”

Whittaker suffered an upset Round 2 technical knockout loss against du Plessis in his last outing, which earned the South African a title shot. Looking at du Plessis’ latest performance at UFC 297, Whittaker acknowledges that he underestimated “Stillknocks.”

Rob’s nice most people would of tried to discredit DDP on his win.

I don’t fully agree that DDP won 4-1 I think it’s more fair to say he won 3-2.

Whittaker is yesterday's news. Feed him to Strickland for an easy bounceback fight. Strickland jabs his ears off.

I agree, people acting like they’ve never seen a close fight before.

I feel most people calling it a robbery are just Strickland fans who really wanted him to win. I’m sure most of them truly believe it’s robbery, when you watch a fight and really want a certain fighter to win you pay more attention their successful moments in the fight rather than their opponents.

From a neutral perspective it was a close fight with Driscus doing slightly more to win.

Whittaker is yesterday's news. Feed him to Strickland for an easy bounceback fight. Strickland jabs his ears off.

That would be a really good fight, insane talk to call that an easy win for Strickland though lol.

Whittakers got one of the most impressive records of any current MW UFC fighter, Sean would have a chance but I definitely would not favor him. Sean always seems to struggle when guys can match his aggression and not allow him to plod forward the whole fight, and Whittaker is more than capable of that imo.

That would be a really good fight, insane talk to call that an easy win for Strickland though lol.

Whittakers got one of the most impressive records of any current MW UFC fighter, Sean would have a chance but I definitely would not favor him. Sean always seems to struggle when guys can match his aggression and not allow him to plod forward the whole fight, and Whittaker is more than capable of that imo.

Whittaker is done at championship level.

Whittaker is done at championship level.

Probably not, with a win over Costa he’ll be close to another title shot (especially for as long as Izzy isn’t champ). I wouldn’t count him out of a rematch with DDP and like I said Strickland is a good match up for him. I mean MW is essentially just Izzy, Driscus, Whittaker and Strickland atm. With Khamzat being a wild card as well. Dumb to write off Whittaker who’s been at the top of the division pretty much since he’s moved up.

He’ll always be at the top likely unless he starts to drop off skill wise.

“Yes I definitely think the guy who beat me won that fight. And I definitely am NOT biased.”

Mighty mouse, volk, cejudo, O'malley, Sandhagen, whittaker, Izzy, Dc, belal, bisping etc etc scored for DDP. Those guys know nothing about fights and we should listen to brendan schaub, joe rogan, and dana white instead.
O'Malley, Whittaker, Izzy, Belal are biased af. Maybe not Bobby, I am huge fan but there's always that factor that you prasie the guy who beat you

I felt like Strickland won but I wouldnt call it a robbery.

Back