How excited are you to watch the upcoming summer Olympics?

How excited are you out of 10?

• Total voters

Fuck. Niekerk looks like he may have suffered an injury significant enough this close to the Games he won't be at 100%. This guy was the Cinderella story of the 2016 Games. Impossible not to pull for him.

0/10

Japan has no actual effective vaccine program and is looking to import 11,000+ athletes and coaches in less than two months, is absolutely preposterous to think they should go ahead

0/10

Japan has no actual effective vaccine program and is looking to import 11,000+ athletes and coaches in less than two months, is absolutely preposterous to think they should go ahead
Pfizer has offered a free supply of vaccines large enough to cover all of the athletes. I'm not sure if that will cover coaches, officials, and other personnel, but I'm sure they could make that happen. Apparently all of the first world athletes traveling there are already vaccinated, already.

Otherwise, the CDC has criticized their preparations, such as a lack of distinct precautions for indoor vs outdoor events, but the Minister of the Olympics has said they're hard at work addressing this, and a fresh set of updated safety protocols will be published next month once they've effected their preparation.

There's definitely a potential recipe for disaster, here, but Japan's current infection rate is less than half ours (per capita), and the policy that will have the greatest impact, ultimately, will be quaratine re-integration measures each nation takes, respectively, upon the return of athletes, officials, and fans returning from the Games.

Pfizer has offered a free supply of vaccines large enough to cover all of the athletes. I'm not sure if that will cover coaches, officials, and other personnel, but I'm sure they could make that happen. Apparently all of the first world athletes traveling there are already vaccinated, already.

Otherwise, the CDC has criticized their preparations, such as a lack of distinct precautions for indoor vs outdoor events, but the Minister of the Olympics has said they're hard at work addressing this, and a fresh set of updated safety protocols will be published next month once they've effected their preparation.

There's definitely a potential recipe for disaster, here, but Japan's current infection rate is less than half ours (per capita), and the policy that will have the greatest impact, ultimately, will be quaratine re-integration measures each nation takes, respectively, upon the return of athletes, officials, and fans returning from the Games.
Japan has no actual nationwide covid prevention policy in place, only local "states of emergency" that have all the permanence and conviction of a Double Yellow on Sherdog when it comes to actually restricting behaviours that lead to transmissions. They also have no vaccine infrastructure, which we all know is just important as doses (which are currently ordered, not delivered) and a lame duck PM with no electoral mandate.

The biggest newspaper in Japan, Asahi, this week formally petitioned the government to call the Games off, and national opinion polls are around 70% against the Games taking place. They will be the least viewed Games in history as there is no promotion or international anticipation for them, they are clearly not worth the undoubted human cost they will incur. The country is only just now experiencing their biggest spike in infections to date, before any real international movement.

There is no possible justification for the Games right now unless your interests align with those of the IOC's bank account. The IOC are very scared the Games may not take place - as they're already threatening legal action against Japan if they do the responsible thing and pull out.

Last edited:
Was half excited for wrestling but fazzari just got diagnosed with cancer.

Japan has no actual nationwide covid prevention policy in place, only local "states of emergency" that have all the permanence and conviction of a Double Yellow on Sherdog when it comes to actually restricting behaviours that lead to transmissions. They also have no vaccine infrastructure, which we all know is just important as doses (which are currently ordered, not delivered) and a lame duck PM with no electoral mandate.

The biggest newspaper in Japan, Asahi, this week formally petitioned the government to call the Games off, and national opinion polls are around 70% against the Games taking place. They will be the least viewed Games in history as there is no promotion or international anticipation for them, they are clearly not worth the undoubted human cost they will incur. The country is only just now experiencing their biggest spike in infections to date, before any real international movement.

There is no possible justification for the Games right now unless your interests align with those of the IOC's bank account. The IOC are very scared the Games may not take place - as they're already threatening legal action against Japan if they do the responsible thing and pull out.
I wouldn't blame the Japanese for their concern about the cost to their nation, but as I said, the greater concern to the rest of the world lies in their control; depending on how they manage re-integration of citizens returning home from the Games.

As for Japan itself, even if they're generally unprepared for the large number of low-risk travelers incoming, they've been a model nation so far. Their cumulative infection rate is half the Asian average (when this is artificially low because many Middle Eastern countries are simply too primitive to accurately track and report cases), 1/13th the European Union's, and 1/17th the USA's. These ratios are even more favorable in terms of deaths.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't anticipate a catastrophic fourth wave on the world stage, and I while I expect it will cause a surge in Japan, we are at a stage where they will be better equipped to treat those who get the disease. There will also be the consolation of the boon to the local economy which is no small consideration for any nation in 2021.

This woman just had a baby a few years ago, and she's 35:

12th fastest 400m time ran in the world since January 1st, 2020 (in less than ideal conditions). Six of the 11 athletes ahead of her on that list are Americans, though, so she'll have her work cut out for her.

She pulled it off. Incredible.

I do enjoy the olimpic games. Soccer in olympics is fun as hell, even tho brazilians and argentinians usually dominate it

I’d be interested if one of the side effects of Covid vaccines was to supercharge the athletes like a cycle of TRT.

Also, while Sherdog probably doesn't care, since swimming isn't too popular around here, the US girl's team has a whopping 10 teenagers on the squad (of 26 total swimmers). So our prospects for 2024 look even better than for this Games:
https://swimswam.com/2021-us-olympic-trials-heres-a-look-at-the-final-olympic-roster/

Caeleb-Dressel-By-Jack-Spitser-CD8I8744-scaled.jpg

I'm flummoxed over why Caeleb Dressel is only listed for four events (50 Free, 100 Free, 100 Fly, 4x100 Free Relay). He is both our fastest 100m freestyler and 100 flyer, so he is the obvious choice for either of those legs for our 4x100 Medley Relay depending on which gives us the greatest advantage after considering the times of his prospective substitute for either leg. Most likely he'll swim the Fly. Ultimate composition of relays is up to the coaches, so unlike the individual events, what you see on that page isn't set in stone. Dressel could be stringently narrowing his events to manage his energy. Maybe he didn't get in the volume over the past year because of COVID. It screwed up every swimmer's training mesocycle.

So I wasn't too surprised he scratched the 200 Fly at the trials without swimming it at all, but I thought he would attempt to get a sub-1:46 in the 200m Free to secure confidence from the coaches to be placed on the 4x200 Free Relay team since that event is pretty much a guaranteed medal. Instead, he swam just the prelims, then scratched, and his time only stood up as the 8th fastest of any 200m Free swam at the Trials. Ultimately, it's still possible he could win as many as 6 Golds, but it looks like he won't swim more than 5 events.

Anyway, he's the best swimmer in the world, and pretty obviously the fastest man in the water in history, IMO. I expect him to crush Cielo's 50m Freestyle WR at the Games. His speed dominance when he swims his best is mind-boggling.
Caeleb Dressel is Aquaman: GOD of the Pool

I feel bad for this Italian-American kid, Luca Urlando. He swam a faster time in the 200m Fly two years ago at 19 years old than Phelps did at the same age to break his own WR as it stood then. This time is still the fastest American time by a staggering -1.22s in the event since 2019 (that includes the winning times at Trials). But he didn't do that great at the Trials. He still swam the 2nd fastest time overall; only problem is he did it in the Semifinals, but then finished 3rd in the Finals, so he didn't secure a berth for the event. I'm wondering if COVID really fucked up his training.

The showdown in the women's 100m backstroke between Regan Smith (USA) and Kaylee McKeown (AUS) is set to be one of the thrillers for the Games. Kaylee stole Regan's WR with her swim at the Australian Trials, but Regan is also in top form, right now.
https://www.twincities.com/2021/06/...troke-world-record-of-lakevilles-regan-smith/

Any of our resident Brits should throw your support to your man Adam Peaty. Watching him swim sprint breaststroke is astonishing. It's like he is swimming a different stroke than everybody else in the race. He's on a different planet.
Domeyko2019072813Adam-Peaty.jpg

Meanwhile, tune in to your country's respective broadcast to see if the announcers are skeezy enough to bring up the juicy drama from Japan. The best all-around swimmer in the world, in the vein of Phelps, who reigns supreme in the de facto decathlon of swimming, the 400m IM, is the Japanese swimmer Daiya Seto. He was demoted from Captain status of the Japanese team last October because some nosy tabloid exposed that he was meeting a woman in a hotel playing hanky-panky on his fellow elite swimmer wife. He ought to be competing in the 200 Fly, 200 IM, 400 IM, and 4x200m Free Relay:
https://nypost.com/2020/10/16/world-champions-affair-rocks-olympic-swimming-world/
japan_swimming.jpg

Meanwhile, guess who won't be there? That cheating bitch Sun Yang!!! Whoooo!!!!!!
Chinese Swimmer had his own blood samples smashed with hammer **UPDATE** His Career is Over!
tumblr_mcc00vGZnR1rvng7fo1_400.gif

I plan to watch exactly as much competitive swimming this year as I do every summer.

Dressel with a fan. Those A-level genetics in swimming:
E4VAI0vXMAMs73i

Here you go. Obviously they're taking it seriously because this sucks:
Tokyo Olympics to Be Held Without Spectators

Eh wrestling, weightlifting, boxing,judo,sport climbing are the only events I watch (and usually only shown at 2am on YouTube so :shrug: )

Hard to get excited with the stands being empty

The fact that there is surfing for the first time is cool. Other than that I dont care.

given that Japan has just declared a state of emergency due to virus concerns and won't allow fans detracts from the overall experience.

Extremely excited for the Male Freestyle Wrestling. Don't care about rest.

Lol, Surfing sounds cool.

Back