How excited are you to watch the upcoming summer Olympics?

How excited are you out of 10?

• Total voters
LOL, they already do.

There's Hurdles, Racewalking, and the Steeplechase.

They have relays.

The long jump is a glorified test of the best sprinter with some specialization in bounding at the end of it. The triple jump and pole vault less so.

Javelin, Hammer, Discus, Shot Put. Sheesh. How many throwing events do we need, and three that involve spinning?

Difference in time of energy systems under load from the 100m / 200m / 400m / 800m in running is less than half the difference between the 100m / 200m / 400m events in swimming.

The Decathlon and Heptathlon are effectively individual medleys that includes half the events mentioned above.

Total number of footrace events counting relays & medleys: 16
Total number of swimming events counting relays & medleys: 16
You forgot synchronised swimming.

You forgot synchronised swimming.
That 1930's MGM shit isn't swimming. Entirely separate sporting categories (like Diving). Conversely, everything I listed for footraces are included in "Athletics".

That 1930's MGM shit isn't swimming. Entirely separate sporting categories (like Diving). Conversely, everything I listed for footraces are included in "Athletics".
LOL it's swimming! There is no synchronised running/walking for comparison. And I don't see why any throwing event should be related to running. There is a bit of running in the Javelin I suppose.

LOL it's swimming!
It's not. This is like comparing Ice Dancing to Speed Skating or Short Track.

It's a judged event, not a timed/measured competition. None of the "Athletics" events I mentioned are judged.
There is no synchronised running/walking for comparison. And I don't see why any throwing event should be related to running. There is a bit of running in the Javelin I suppose.
Yes, you failed to comprehend that. I brought up throwing events to mock the idea that multiple throwing events are redundant by virtue of the fact all are testing different specializations of throwing power. They were not grouped with running, and for total events, I counted only footraces.

FYI, I didn't count the Marathon. If I did, there are more footrace medals awarded than swimming medals.

It's not. This is like comparing Ice Dancing to Speed Skating or Short Track.

It's a judged event, not a timed/measured competition. None of the "Athletics" events I mentioned are judged.

Yes, you failed to comprehend that. I brought up throwing events to mock the idea that multiple throwing events are redundant by virtue of the fact all are testing different specializations of throwing power. They were not grouped with running, and for total events, I counted only footraces.

FYI, I didn't count the Marathon. If I did, there are more footrace medals awarded than swimming medals.
You take things way too seriously. I mentioned synchronised swimming in jest. I should have posted a big smiley after my post. I could argue with you about the throwing but I'm really not that bothered. But I admit I'm biased because I don't think I've ever watched a full swimming event in my life.

First Resident of Olympic Village Tests Positive for COVID-19
https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/17/first-resident-olympic-village-tests-positive-covid-19-tokyo

It's not exactly clear whether this was the first person to move into the village or one of many that live in the village who was the first to test positive. From the article it seems like there were people working on the village that have tested positive but this was the first "resident". At least it wasn't an athlete but it doesn't bode well for the Olympics.

First Resident of Olympic Village Tests Positive for COVID-19
https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/17/first-resident-olympic-village-tests-positive-covid-19-tokyo

It's not exactly clear whether this was the first person to move into the village or one of many that live in the village who was the first to test positive. From the article it seems like there were people working on the village that have tested positive but this was the first "resident". At least it wasn't an athlete but it doesn't bode well for the Olympics.
The Olympics is apparently still unpopular with a majority of Japanese citizens despite an expensive PR campaign by the government and IOC to win them over.

I'm simply amazed how quickly they vaccinated. They went from 3% last month to over 40% today. But I suppose it's understandable they still don't want the Games considering the already rising number of cases on the wings of the Delta variant. Even without spectators 40% isn't nearly enough to ward against that variant, especially considering how few of their population have natural immunity because so few have contracted it, unlike the USA with all our dumb-dumbs who kept whining it wasn't a real disease for the past year and a half; refusing to modify their behavior. You'd want 80%+ of Moderna to feel comfortable.

In a big upset, Sweden beat the US Women's soccer team 3-0

If I'm understanding group play right, US will need to go undefeated to make it to playoff round from here. They absolutely need a win over New Zeland as Australia already beat them. If they tie Australia it'll be really close. Win over Aussie as well as NZ should put them in. But now the US is having to play to avoid ties from the get go.

Also..... Soccer. US women had a single shot on goal first half. 4 in the second half.

Sweden, in a 3-0 thrashing, had 9 shots on goal. Just yikes at that sport for action

This olympics is a complete shitfest and Brisbane got the 2032 Olympics without anyone else wanting them - LOL.

WTF? When i was a kid the Olympics were the biggest thing in sports, now it's like, who gives a shit? Crazy.

This olympics is a complete shitfest and Brisbane got the 2032 Olympics without anyone else wanting them - LOL.

WTF? When i was a kid the Olympics were the biggest thing in sports, now it's like, who gives a shit? Crazy.
It costs too much to build the facilities that end up not being used after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back