Sean Strickland Responds to Jon Anik’s Criticism of MMA Fanbase

I just don't think he was talking about all MMA fans.

for me it was the comparison to the NFL fans that got me. even the scummiest of MMA fans aren't doing what the NFL fans are doing. MMA fans are almost all TALK, the NFL fans are pieces of shit.

I'm with Anik on this.

He's absolutely right, MMA fans bring everything down to the lowest common denominator.

As bad as other sports fans can be, there are incredible in-depth analytical media in football, baseball and basketball. I don't even follow these sports, but I follow a bunch of quality youtubers and podcasters. There are sections of super intelligent, respected and passionate fans.

Tell me you open the Sherdog forums after a fight and feel any sense of that.
Any MMA person on youtube you guys have respect for? Anyone working in MMA you guys like? Not even the coaches have the fans respect.

Anyone who has worked in MMA has been grinded down, belittled, and turned into some sort of drama chaser. Because that's the MMA culture.

you know even though i disagree with Anik's take, or at least how he said it, i can't argue this.

Replace Anik with Nina Drama ;)

F5di1RSagAAIfCp.jpg:large
Somebody get @KowboyMMA a raise! Sherbro is a man of the people!
giphy.gif

Makes sense. The only reason Strickland isn't still doddering around on prelims is his rage bait persona, he knows what it is.

Jon Anik gives his honest opinion about something that makes his second guess his career path.
MMA fanbase: so unprofessional, we pay your bills.

Sean Strickland tells Jon Anik to stop bitching in-between his own bitching about losing a close decision.
MMA fanbase: love that moody bi-polar try hard, he tells it like it is.

Sean Stickland only hates bullying if it’s towards him. He then cries

I've never liked Anik, he's an uppity little bitch.
He's nothing special on the mic, neither was Goldy but at least Goldy was real and he ate shit when he fucked up like a man.

Anik is constantly crying and that's what happens when you have tissue paper skin.

Sean is right, maybe he should just fuck off...but Anik will play the passive aggressive pussy role that he always does.

Goldie was a bit of an idiot sometimes, but he was our idiot.

Moments like this really show how sensitive some people can be, and how fragile their ego is. We all call each other idiots and dumbshits all day long, but when Anik does it somehow it becomes an issue? Fuckin please.

He's not wrong, and I understand why he had to apologize.

And the biggest offenders are also probably the ones crying foul the loudest.

And after Sunday's fights, no one will remember what happened the weekend prior. Because most fucking idiot fans cannot remember anything beyond the last set of fights.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sean Strickland has slammed UFC commentator Jon Anik for voicing his frustration with the mixed martial arts fan base.

Anik recently revealed his heightened frustration with MMA fans due to the negativity he received following Strickland’s UFC 297 title loss against Dricus Du Plessis. Strickland dropped a closely-contested split decision against “Stillknocks” in a fight that was viewed as a toss-up. According to Anik, MMA fans responded with hatred no matter how objectively analysts tried to explain Du Plessis’ victory. The UFC color commentator even went to the extent of teasing a career switch to the NFL.

“I am growing tired of this MMA space a little bit and just the morass of negativity when there is a close fight,” Anik said on the Anik & Florian podcast. “Because even if you and I both thought Dricus Du Plessis won the fight, we try to present that information respectfully. When I go onto X or I go to our YouTube comments, it just seems like a lot of these fans are just in attack mode. I don’t know if these fans are casual fans or not, but I appreciate the passion. But I’m getting to the point at 45 years of age where I don’t know how much time I have left in this MMA space because if I go do pro football, I’m not going to necessarily be dealing with this lowest common denominator all the time. I don’t know, man.

“I just feel like there’s a lot of malice and disrespect from the fanbase. We can disagree. Don’t take it from me. Demetrious Johnson and Kenny Florian thought DDP won the fight. I don’t know. I’ve just been very off-put with the negativity that has permeated my feed since Saturday night. I’m just not sure how much longer I have in this space.”

According to Strickland, Anik should probably consider a switch to the NFL given his frustration with MMA fans.

“What [I’d] say to Jon Anik calling [MMA] fans ‘the lowest common denominator:’ These people are the way you have a paycheck, and you make way more than most,” Strickland wrote. “Maybe the NFL is a better choice for you than MMA. Also, you guys are a bunch of savage c—ts. I’m here for it.”

Anik has since issued an apology to MMA fans, taking responsibility for his comments while also saying that they were sensationalized.

“Last week on my podcast, I was in a heightened emotional state following myriad allegations of bias at UFC 297 and I made some regrettable comments relating to the MMA fan base,” Anik wrote on Instagram. “While I was surprised at the extent to which my comments were re-purposed and sensationalized, I need to be more responsible on an open microphone.

He’s dead right and I agree with almost all he said.

What Anik said was a ludicrous thing say, and disrespectful. I can’t believe he didn’t know better. But we all have a bad day every now and then. I hope he grows from it and sticks around, he’s good at commentating the fights.

Goldie was a bit of an idiot sometimes, but he was our idiot.
He was, and he kept his attention on the action and enjoyed the fights, which is more than I can say for most of the current commentating team.

I’d gladly have him back.

He’s dead right and I agree with almost all he said.

What Anik said was a ludicrous thing say, and disrespectful. I can’t believe he didn’t know better. But we all have a bad day every now and then. I hope he grows from it and sticks around, he’s good at commentating the fights.
f6a64c9213b0de632e352009c1d09cde

Back