Sean Strickland Responds to Jon Anik’s Criticism of MMA Fanbase

My only gripe with Anik is that he grew into a fan of the sport as oppose to being one coming into it. His lack of fight passion made him seem robotic and very unauthentic. He kind of looks down on fighters or at least has a clear lack of empathy and genuine respect for fighting in the cage especially if you aren’t really good.

Where do you get that idea? He was involved in MMA for years before getting the commentary gig. Unlike the guy he replaced who never followed the sport.

Where do you get that idea? He was involved in MMA for years before getting the commentary gig. Unlike the guy he replaced who never followed the sport.

There's no harm in growing into a sport until you start acting entitled, insulting the fans that pay your salary and creating drama that apparently people talk smack on the internet.

Comes with the territory. He live a very priviliged life. Acting this way does not portray him in a good light at all. And also, IMO he is a very poor commentator.

There's no harm in growing into a sport until you start acting entitled, insulting the fans that pay your salary and creating drama that apparently people talk smack on the internet.

Comes with the territory. He live a very priviliged life. Acting this way does not portray him in a good light at all. And also, IMO he is a very poor commentator.

He wasnt insulting "fans", he was addressing the people who attack him on social media. And he's a way better commentator than the guy he replaced. That's not even debatable.

For me, it's not that there's not plenty of shitty MMA fans, there are, it's that Anik came across as whiny. Strickland has a point there and I do think it's cool that he spoke up here.

At the same time, and again to my issue with Anik's comments, it's like bruv, this is MMA, human cockfighting - if you can't deal with some toxic jerkoffs in the fight business, particularly for what you get paid, then go commentate regular sports. Maybe the toxic jerkoffs in normal sports suck less than MMA fans, but every sport has some dog shit fans who are armchair quarterbacks and what have you. If you ain't that into it, leave. I don't mean that as an insult either, I really mean if it's not worth dealing with people's bullshit, then don't.

We've questioned this for some time.

B4SaZ6p.gif

Anik took an L on this one but he aint a bad guy

he just needs a software upgrade.

PoliticallyCorrect patch 2.0

Give Anik a Break!

@PaddyO'malley

100% sir, and better than Anik all day.

I totally agree with you. I'm a Dallas cowboys fan for life. I've been hearing it all my life

what does anik bring that is unique to the broadcast? absolutely nothing. he's a corporate shill, never had a solid interest in MMA before this job, and he can't even look away from comments? as if his word is so highly valued and we must all just agree with his noob ass MMA, corporate voice line, absolute gutter trash takes? F that. he called all of you the lower common denominator. he adds no feeling to the UFC commentating, brings nothing to the night and is replaceable. goodluck with the NFL gig, nerd. goldberg was better in every way and made those UFCs feel like we were witnessing something special.

even seans corner didnt think he won that fight
lmao
thats on live

They're both the best, and the worst fans at the same time.

Racism is heavily stamped down on, but still happens in Europe, especially in the east, and Spain... Violence exists in a way that no other sport comes close to as well... Tribalism, hooliganism, and constant screaming abuse are part of the game... England's game is so sterilised now though that racism around the game pretty much only exists on twitter these days.

Having said all of that, the atmosphere inside football stadiums, and even live events on big screens can be seminal... Its also crazy the way songs and chants happen all at once, and generally speaking, there's great humour involved.

It's one of those "the 1% made everyone else look bad" things... I've never perosnally seen any racism, or violence at any games I've been to, but I know plenty people who have...

1212611823349.gif

Why would I care what he thinks? Haha.

Anik is right. Think of all the toxic losers who have been banned from Sherdog.

The average MMA fan might be ok, but there is a significant scum contingent.
Wait, what?
How dare you? I feel personally attacked.
Send location!!!!

(Am I doing it right?)

Few people did, but this stunt worked out. He's getting his attention.
Agreed. There's always an audience for losers like this. It's human nature.

Anik isn't wrong. Every sport has some shit fans, but MMA is overwhelmingly the worst.

Jon Anik, It takes a very special man do show up to this challenging job with unwavering enthusiasm year after year in the face of fan hostility and soldier on without any background in fighting or any sport for that matter .

We call that man: Mike Goldberg
<Goldie11>

Lol are we really gonna act as if Anik is wrong? MMA fandom is like 95% braindead idiots who think they are tough guys by proxy because they watch people fight on tv.

Also the point that they pay for his salary is a dumb one, if you work in a store do you have to take all kinds of verbal abuse from your customers just because they pay for your salary? What about from your boss at the office?

I think Anik may have overestimated how much his stats-reading skills are valued

Back